Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys,

I couple of days ago on the news i saw this story, about a girl in the UK who was a model, but her X-boyfriend highered someone to throw acid in her face.

‘Now, though, I realise my life before was so superficial. I used to refuse to go out if I had a spot on my face. Now I wish a spot was all I had to worry about. There are people who point and stare. One man even knocked my sun hat off and laughed at me. Those times hurt, but I won’t let them get me down. I’d like to be able to have a husband and family one day. I can’t live a life of regret.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...l#ixzz0UrzqbCSN

My heart breaks for this girl. Its a good reminder that we have to be gratefull for what we have right, i try to tell myself that every time i look in the mirror. Its helps me to see the bigger picture, just as she did right :)

I think the ambulance drivers deserve to go to jail for waiting an hour to treat her, and the doctors who took an hour to give them the all clear too.

omg you are so right, i remember thinking this when i saw the commercial on tv for the documentary, its a real eye opening slap in the face.

i think its on next week?

i guess the ambulance and doctors couldn't treat her.. which is quite sad.. they might have made it worse not knowing what the substance was

Shocking. There really is some scum on this earth. How it could even cross his mind to get someone to throw acid in his ex-girlfriend's face I don't know. It must have been pure jealousy that she would be with someone else in the future. But the pure lack of intelligence the guy holds (proved by his desire to do such a thing in the first place) shows that he doesn't understand that the lady is still beautiful even with her scarring, and will go on to be happy with a decent, loving man.

I understand what onceperfect is saying in that we can see how much more fortunate we are than others. But I don't like to use other people's misfortunes to make me feel better. I never compared my acne to anyone elses. It's not fair on the individual that you are comparing yourself too.

Christof, You missunderstand me, her misfortune has not made me feel 'better' at all, infact i feel worse, for her and about the world we live in, i feel sick whenever i think about it. What i meant was, its made me more ashamed of myself for worrying about a few scars here and there, when this girl has survived something so much more horrifieng. Looks are not everything right.

Edited by Christof
This is a community for all ages- please keep violence away, even if not serious

I feel so much anger after reading this. The only question i have i why?? how can someone hav that much hatred to trhow acid on someone?

Christof, You missunderstand me, her misfortune has not made me feel 'better' at all, infact i feel worse, for her and about the world we live in, i feel sick whenever i think about it. What i meant was, its made me more ashamed of myself for worrying about a few scars here and there, when this girl has survived something so much more horrifieng. Looks are not everything right.

Ahh I see what you are saying. Looks definately aren't everything. And it'll be proved when she still finds her Mr Right and goes some distance to achieving happiness again, showing her ex that his actions were not only shameful and disgusting but were also wasted.

This is really a sad story, but it reinforced my beliefs that people who have suffered are more likely to see past the flaws of other people.

Previously for Katie, 'We just had a nice, normal chat. He was 6ft 4in, quite macho-looking and handsome. I liked what I saw.'

Quite typical. Sadly, she learned the hard way that looks can be deceiving.

People really don't realize how much worse they could have it. I feel for this girl... that must fucking suck.

How could people just go up to someone and laugh in their face. What the FUCK is the matter with people these days :(!

I am always in the quest to gain perspective.

As an international affairs major, I read A LOT of news and instead of becoming disheartened, I counter one story with another. I encourage others to do the same because it's vitally important to become informed but to also not view the world in a negative manner. It will amaze you the acts of goodwill performed in the world, the sheer determination, passion, and love. To me, it trumps the bad.

I watched the programme about this lady on Thursday. She is an amazing girl who is full of spirit and strength. If I had even half of the persistance and belief that she has I would be a better person. She in no way deserves to have to go through the daily ordeal that she gets on with, with no complaints and no lapses. She is 25 years old and has to rely on her parents' to help her live. She has to eat and drink through a tube most of the time. She has to wear a plastic mask for 23 hours a day to help her scarring. She has to deal with stares and comments and nasty people. But she has the most amazing family and friends around her who keep her going and appreciate her for the good person that she is.

For those in the UK you can watch it online here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od

Find Thursday 29th October and it was on at 9pm. It's definately worth a watch. Inspirational.

I was shocked to find that the ex-boyfriend hadn't even been with her that long. They spent a night in a hotel room together the night before the attack and she wanted to sleep because she was tired, but he wanted sex and they argued until the point at which he violently raped her. He was a possessive and controlling man who took advantage of a decent young girl. She dreams of having a loving husband and children, like every girl her age does. Yet she has no belief that it will happen, and no self-esteem or confidence to think any other way. She already had a very successful career as a model and TV presenter. She had freedom and independance. But it has all been taken away from her because of one selfish and disgusting man and his friend. She can gain these things back and I hope that she does. But it will take time. Her ex was given two life sentences (one for the rape and one for organising the attack) and will serve a minimum of 16 years (I think thats right). The guy who actually did the attack was also given a life sentence. Unfortunately life sentences here don't actually mean that. But that's another story.

Some people may laugh at this, or may not agree, but I still think that she is beautiful. She has a very bright and bubbly personality and seemed like a lovely person. If I knew her I would still want to be that man who she can gain trust in and be happy with. I'm not even going to say that it's now her personality that makes her attractive, because I don't think that the scars take anything away from her beauty.

A real shame. Nobody deserves that. But to take so much away from a hard working, determined girl is disgraceful.

Everybody needs to read this amazing girl's story to gain some perspective and to learn from her positive attitude and courage in dealing with people while physically disfigured because of that tragic event.

God bless her and i wish her the best in her life. I agree with Christoff that she has a great personality and i'd be honoured to be her friend.

The context of this thread is reactionary nonsense. Yes, I of course agree that whatever happened to this particular girl was devastating and incredibly unfortunate. I'd probably commit suicide if that ever happened to me, so her choosing to go on with her life shows how strong she is.

However, people need to stop comparing themselves to the worst, or to people below them. You could be the fattest, ugliest, loneliest, stupidest, poorest person you could imagine, and there would still be some child in Africa worse off then you.

Which is why you don't compare yourself to the worst. You compare yourself to the best. And you try to reach what they have. This is the correct type of attitude to have while fighting acne, or doing anything in life, not the "well at least I don't look as bad as her" mindset, which I find is so prevalent on this site.

Edited by Beautiful Day