Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swill

2.5% vs. 5% - Should I switch? (Brandy?! :) )

Hi All,

I have been on the Regimen for over 5 years: Cetaphil Bar - Dan's BP - Garnier Pure A Moisturiser.

I'm 24, and only get spots in one place, the inner parts of my cheek, diagnally between the bottom of the nose and the top corners of the lip. These spots are not pus-filled, instead they are big, red, cyst-like type things. They last for around 3 days.

So...As Dan's 2.5% BP tends not to prevent these (I get around 1 a week), I wondered whether I should try a 5% BP in this area of my face alone to see if it works? I know it will potentially increase redness and itchiness etc, but is it likely to deal with these spots in a way that the 2.5% can't (considering how long I've used 2.5 for)?

Does 5% just increase the SPEED of effectiveness, or is it MORE EFFECTIVE in treating too, because of it's higher %? (I'm aware of Dan's theory of 2.5 being just as effective in copious amounts, but considering the stubbornness of my problem, is 5% worth a go in this area alone? Or is it unlikely to help?)

Any thoughts anyone (especially Brandy, if you have a moment please! (you're a star by the way :)

Many thanks everybody!

Higher percentage BP's aren't any more effective against acne than 2.5%, they're just more drying and irritating to your skin.

If you want to try using 5%, you can, but just have moisturizer handy, in case your skin dries up.

Best of luck!

Because they can, and because people will always go for things that are marketed as being "stronger" or "maximum strength".

In this case, however, more does not equal better. The efficacy maxes out at 2.5%. 5% and 10% BP's aren't any more effective against acne. They're just more drying and irritating.

They sell the higher concentrations simply because they can.

For me, a higher % worked way better.

My cysts only get away with 10% (once a day!, or 5% twice a day), 2,5% twice a day didn't work for me, i'm sure.

Dan's no expert, he only knows what worked for him. He's read studies as well but they're by no means conclusive, they can only put forward a theory based on the results of their limited trial. Theoretically a higher concentration of benzoyl peroxide would kill more of the bacteria but would cause more side effects. Give it a shot. Everyone's different - what works for some doesn't work for all.

Edited by CaptainBoff

10% BP stopped my acne in three days.

Drys out the skin massively, but moisturizing solves this.

5-10% BP have higher efficacy, as stated in their concentrations (All, if not almost 2.5% BP are for mild-moderate acne, whilst 10% BPs are specified for severe acne).. I've tried the 10%BP as my initial therapy because i was looking for that miracle cure and it worked wonders for 2 big zits on my chin. The downside is that, the stronger the BP, it equals to its side effect--the dryness, redness, itchiness, and some hypersensitivities--and it did burn my face, i had brown-darkbrown spots on those zits after they dried up..I switched to 2.5% BP after 3days and all is working out fine so far, the brown spots desquamated and I got my old color back. The 10% stings.. it feels like you rubbed a fresh pepper on your face.

maybe you can introduce the 5% slowly, use it during the nights and use the 2.5% during days, see how well your skin tolerates the new concentration then take it from there. You'll always know what works for your skin.

(When I used the 10%, i was thinking i was getting a loading dose, it slipped my mind that BP isn't your typical antibiotic, so that was my main slip-up=))

Edited by xandrine100