Notifications
Clear all

can i take protein shake with accutane?

MemberMember
(@eazy-bruv)

Posted : 10/21/2009 1:45 pm

Hey im Zac and ive been on accutane for 3 weeks today, i havent yet but im just wondering if you can take protein shake with accutane?

please help it will be well appreciated (if thats how you spell it ) many thanks :)

MemberMember
(@italianboy)

Posted : 10/21/2009 2:33 pm

As far as I know, no.

I would ask your doctor though.

MemberMember
(@siava)

Posted : 10/21/2009 9:20 pm

Proteins are fine.

MemberMember
(@vipervin)

Posted : 10/22/2009 5:31 pm

As far as I know, no.

What made you come to that conclusion?

I've been taking 40g+ protein shakes daily since I started about 5 months ago.

MemberMember
(@h8acne11)

Posted : 10/23/2009 3:01 am

As far as I know, no.

Hmm what made you come to the conclusion that it's ok to take protein shakes?

The majority of protein shakes contain Vitamin-A, which is a big NO NO.

Most protein shakes have Vitamin-A which you don't need as accutane already has Vitamin-A. Check the back of the protein shakes and see if it contains Vitamin-A. If it does, do not buy it. It will do more damage than good.

Vitamin-A will do liver damage as you already have alot in your system from accutane. So please dont listen to what the other people posted, because it is NOT a good idea.

I suggest you buy horleys ice whey, it has no vitamin-a.

Other than that, most proten shakes should NEVR EVER be taken while on accutane.

MemberMember
(@leadzeppelin)

Posted : 10/23/2009 1:16 pm

As far as I know, no.

Most protein shakes have Vitamin-A which you don't need as accutane already has Vitamin-A. Check the back of the protein shakes and see if it contains Vitamin-A. If it does, do not buy it. It will do more damage than good.

Vitamin-A will do liver damage as you already have alot in your system from accutane. So please dont listen to what the other people posted, because it is NOT a good idea.

I suggest you buy horleys ice whey, it has no vitamin-a.

Other than that, most proten shakes should NEVR EVER be taken while on accutane.

It seems to me like you're being a bit over-the-top. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking protein shakes. Protein shakes are good for you. They're healthy. More people would do well to take them.

Yes, it's true that you need to find one without vitamin A. But I would NOT say that "most" whey powders have vitamin A in them, including Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard whey, which is, I'm almost sure, the leading whey product. That's what I've always used and I didn't even need to switch when I started accutane.

MemberMember
(@retrojeff)

Posted : 10/23/2009 3:36 pm

As long as the protein mix doesn't have any vitamin a you should be good. But I would drink a lot of water because protein shakes are a little rough on your liver. But I have a question, milk has vitamin A in it, should I not drink as much as I normally would. Cheerios also have vitamin a.

MemberMember
(@vipervin)

Posted : 10/23/2009 4:04 pm

As far as I know, no.

I don't know what kind of protein powder you have been buying, but none of the protein brands I have used in the past have Vitamin A.

Also, Vitamin A as a supplement should not be taken. Vitamin A through normal foods is still OKAY (straight from my doctor's mouth).

MemberMember
(@halifax)

Posted : 10/23/2009 6:04 pm

it is fine, and even a good idea, to take your accutane with a whey protein shake mixed with milk. You get the fat you need, and it is good fat. The only thing, as was mentioned above, is that you have to make sure there is no vitamin A in your protein. Most of the time whey protein powders to not contain vitamin a because it is not important in muscle recovery, which is the intended purpose of these protein powders. Not even 100% sure how bad it would be if your protein had say less than 30% recommended vitamin A in it, but just to be on the safe side I'd stay clear of any extra vitamin a.

MemberMember
(@ysj123)

Posted : 12/29/2010 9:37 am

it is fine, and even a good idea, to take your accutane with a whey protein shake mixed with milk. You get the fat you need, and it is good fat. The only thing, as was mentioned above, is that you have to make sure there is no vitamin A in your protein. Most of the time whey protein powders to not contain vitamin a because it is not important in muscle recovery, which is the intended purpose of these protein powders. Not even 100% sure how bad it would be if your protein had say less than 30% recommended vitamin A in it, but just to be on the safe side I'd stay clear of any extra vitamin a.

Do you think it would be a big problem if the vitamin a had less then 17% for recommended daily intake?

i bought protein shakes without noticing they had vitamin a ==

um if milk has about 80 mcg and the protein i drink has 130 mcg im hoping it shouldnt be that bad right? Cause i really want good progress done while on accutane and i dont see my derm for another 40 days

MemberMember
(@ashking11)

Posted : 12/29/2010 10:39 am

i drank mine on accutane and I exploded so...guess they are bad

MemberMember
(@maxi8)

Posted : 12/30/2010 11:09 am

I take it once or twice a week only. Taking it daily cause some pimples to surface, maybe it's coincidental or due to heatiness but I am monitoring them to see how it goes.

MemberMember
(@funkymonkey)

Posted : 11/02/2011 3:23 am

Optimum nutrition gold standard whey protein powder has 0% vitamin a, so that would be a good choice. ive been on accutane for a month and a half now and have been taking gold standard at the same time and my blood tests have come up with no abnormalities. Good luck on accutane :)

MemberMember
(@gators_fan)

Posted : 11/02/2011 5:26 pm

Even if there's a small amount of Vitamin A from the Protein Powder, you should be fine since it's a food source. HOWEVER, large amounts of protein consumed at once is hard on the liver. If it's a moderate sized protein shake (20-40 grams), I'd say you're okay. I used to make 80g shakes, and that would just be way too much to expect your liver to handle on top of an accutane pill. Just my insight.

MemberMember
(@danipaskor)

Posted : 11/02/2011 9:20 pm

i drank mine on accutane and I exploded so...guess they are bad

What do you mean "exploded"?

I drink protein shakes and I'm on Accutane. This is the first time I'm hearing anything negative about it.

MemberMember
(@gators_fan)

Posted : 11/02/2011 9:53 pm

I drink protein shakes and I'm on Accutane. This is the first time I'm hearing anything negative about it.

Sarcasm obviously. No one exploded from protein shakes.

MemberMember
(@danipaskor)

Posted : 11/02/2011 10:28 pm

Sarcasm obviously. No one exploded from protein shakes.

Oh, Didn't know if he meant he broke out from it. Sorry...

MemberMember
(@gators_fan)

Posted : 11/02/2011 11:56 pm

You could be right, protein shakes can be acne triggering for people sensitive to milk.

MemberMember
(@cooool)

Posted : 11/03/2011 12:07 am

sigh, I began taking protein shakes again in the middle of my treatment and my doctor said my creatinine levels had skyrocketed, and told me to stop taking the supplement.

Anyways, you should be ok with monthly blood tests, but you run a greater risk of having bad results.

MemberMember
(@dwight-schrute)

Posted : 11/03/2011 9:29 pm

I'm on month 7 of accutane.... i've drank 1 or 2 protein shakes a day while on accutane and taken creatine, and my blood tests have been perfectly fine this whole time.

I had asked my derm about it, she said it was fine. As for the creatine, she said it CAN be hard on the liver, but my tests have been fine, so she's cool with it.

MemberMember
(@khush_yaz)

Posted : 06/21/2020 5:33 am

Plz help me.

Im on accutane month 4. I'm very skinny and I want to put on some weight.

Can I take everlast whey protein . It doesn't have but A in it .