Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mischief2

What age did you start wearing makeup?

I'm just wondering at what age were you when you started experimenting with makeup? I find it interesting to see what sort of reflection it might have on acne.

My mother - with the best of intentions, may I say - handed me a tube of Innoxa foundation when I was 12 years old and developed acne on my chin only (one or two spots) to cover up the redness. And so started a vicious cycle. All through high school I covered the mild acne on my chin with foundation. Of course, I had no clue about making sure it was non-comodogenic and sometimes I wouldn't even wash it off properly. I am sure at a few sleepovers I even slept in it as I was so embarassed about my skin. sad.gif I am sure that made it worse.

I'm now 23 and these days, I have no acne on my chin, just my cheeks (which are finally clear thanks to BP) and jaw/neck. I love how acne migrates as you get older. rolleyes.gif I try not to wear makeup and when I do it's minimal and only non comodgenic. For a week and a half I have been mostly at home so have not worn makeup and in a way, it's been an experiment. As I type this, my skin is clear. I have had a few spots on my jaw and neck (it's my time of the month though so could be that) but I think this not wearing makeup thing is helping greatly. Now if I could only walk around in public like this. Yeah, right. :unsure: If the red marks would heal I would stop covering them with makeup and stop this endless cycle.

So as my skin is breathing and healing I've been wondering what makeup has done to my skin over the year. I would say plenty of it has broken me out worse and clogged my pores. If I cover a red mark that pimple seems to emerge all over again. The makeup I have used lately (Almay Skin Stays Clean) has not broken me out but I would not say it has helped matters either.

Too early, lol. I actually started breaking out when I was 10, and it was BAD. Found some foundation in my mom's bathroom (she NEVER wore makeup, so I don't know where she got it from), and started using that. It was waaaaaay too pink for me, but as long as I was fooling myself, right?

Anyhow, for any young people out there, I would really recommend staying away from makeup. Your skin will heal better and faster without it.

I think I started with everything except foundation around 12-13. Blue eyeshadow, hot pink lipstick, the works. I started breaking out around 12, but I didn't use foundation until about 17.

I agree with smilingeyes...stay away from foundation as long as you can, young'uns! Try to use it only on special occasions and not every day. More likely than not, it'll become an addiction! You'll develop a huge emotional & psychological dependency on it, and it will be SO hard not to wear it every day. That's the case for me anyway.

I remember a trip overseas where I forgot to pack my foundation (that was the ONLY time that I've ever forgotten carry it)...and the next morning, I was in a HUGE panic, I couldn't do anything until I found the nearest cosmetics store and just grabbed the first thing I saw...I realized then how much of a dependency I've have on it. Made me real sad.

I remember a trip overseas where I forgot to pack my foundation (that was the ONLY time that I've ever forgotten carry it)...and the next morning, I was in a HUGE panic, I couldn't do anything until I found the nearest cosmetics store and just grabbed the first thing I saw...I realized then how much of a dependency I've have on it.  Made me real sad.

I know, it's such a horrible feeling, like the feeling when you realise you've done completely the wrong question on an exam or something - complete panic.user posted image

I started using foundation a couple of months ago, so 17, think I was experimenting with everything else around 14 - the old blue eyeshadow was a mistake once   :ph34r:

I was 12 and only tried it because I thought it looked "fun". Now it's the biggest pain in the you know what. If only I'd have known..

Mischeif2 - You stated your acne migrated outward. My daughter(16 1/2) who has had acne for 5 months, started w/acne in the T-Zone, which is now cleared up thanks to Dan's reg (9 weeks now) but now it has moved to the lower and mid section of her cheeks. Did your's move quickly or more slowly?

Agoff, my acne migrated outward, but not by much. I've always gotten acne around my mouth. It was mainly on my chin, but now it's only on either side of my chin (which is clear). Like someone just pushed my acne outward. So now I have two matching acne patches that are about an inch wide on both sides of my face. It's amazing how much I can break out in such a small section of my face. I've had acne for about 10 years, since age 13-14. It's been a slow process of migration, but I hadn't really noticed it until recently.

Oh, I've been wearing makeup since 13-14. Man, i was pretty bad at applying it. I remember my brother saying that boys like girls who wear less makeup.

Agoff, my acne migrated outward, but not by much.  I've always gotten acne around my mouth.  It was mainly on my chin, but now it's only on either side of my chin (which is clear).  Like someone just pushed my acne outward. So now I have two matching acne patches that are about an inch wide on both sides of my face.  It's amazing how much I can break out in such a small section of my face.  I've had acne for about 10 years, since age 13-14.  It's been a slow process of migration, but I hadn't really noticed it until recently.

lets see here... In 7th grade (so 12-13) I remember making my mom buy me a compact because apparently everyone was wearing makeup. lol. But I dont remember using it... hardly ever.

Wasnt until Freshman year of high school that I really started wearing makeup. I bet I looked awful some days since I was never taught how to apply anything.... come to think of it... I still dont think I know how to properly apply anything even now! :shifty:

im 14 now, and i started when i was 12...just mascara and lipgloss...lol and then when i as 13 i began to wear eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara n lipgloss. I DONT wear any foundation or cover up b/c i dont need it tongue.gif

Guest june

in my early 20's with foundation and powder. blusher in my mid-20's.

I started wearing mascara and lipgloss when I was around 10 or 11.

Foundation when I started getting acne at 12.

Eyeliner at 13.

Now I only do eyeliner and concealer on my spots.

I started getting acne at 9yrs. old, maybe(It's a hereditary thing). And my mom would let me use her concealer. But i started using powder when i was 11, and foundation when i was 13. When i was 12 i figured out that i needed to wear mascara too so my eyes wouldn't get lost. But now i wear all the regular stuff.

14/15.. I first only applied one dot of foundation onto a spot I had. Then, I started wearing it all over for a school musical. Then I just couldn't seem to not wear it, because I wasn't used to seeing how my "real" skin looked anymore, without the foundation on. Then, I developed really bad acne, so I would never leave the house without a thick layer of it (that was for about... 4-5 months). Finally, at age 17, I dumped foundation completely, and I never want to wear it ever again! tongue.gif

I started wearing make-up at the age of 15. Only eyeliner and macara. Then I started on foundation at the age of 16. Biggest mistake.

12 I'd had bad acne since 4th grade and my neighbors who were all perfect wanted to give me a makeover...so I let them....and then when I saw how better it looked I saved money and bought clinique stuff because that was considered the 'cool' people makeup...my mom found out and was all like your too young but I was also too young for acne...anyways I never knew how to use it and looking back it always really looked terrible lol...wrong color...not blended...I was only 12 lol...and when I was 16 or 17 I ousted clinique because it made my face break out and make my blackheads really big which it was doing the whole time even though all my friends swore by clinique. So I did some hunting and started using aveda products because they were plant based and seemed to be more gentle and pore friendly and now I just recently ousted those after discovering bareminerals.

I started wearing mascara and lipgloss at around age 11, then added blush and eyeliner around 13 or 14. I didn't really wear eyeshadow at all until I was 22 or so, and even then it was very light/neutral tones.

Not sure how/what/why I changed since those days, but now I wear a lot of really dramatic colors and love it!

I started getting acne around 10, and when I was 11 I started using the makeup stick to spot-cover... By the time I was 13, it wasn't enough anymore, and I pretty much started using foundation everyday...

I became dependant on it before I was 15... Because if I went to school without it, all the other kids would say stuff like "you got a zit there and there and there" or "you should really pop that" or "What happened, you look AWFUL"...

It made me feel so bad about myself, that now I don't even let my parents see me without foundation.. Thanks to the bp regime (I think..) I don't have that many active pimples, but I have tons of 'red spots' which make me look horrible anyway... So yeah, I can't go anywhere without it...

On top of foundation, I also wear a lot of eyebrow pencil and eye makeup, because my eyebrows and eyelashes are so light they're nearly invisible. I look very plain and ugly without makeup. sad.gif

I really really hate being so dependant on it!

I was 12-13 years old (7th grade). Wanted to start earlier than that (I have an older sister who taught me to put it on when I was really young) but my mom wouldn't let me leave the house with it on until I hit 12-13. In retrospect, I am glad she made me wait...I must have looked like a baby prostitute the way I used to do myself up in the early days! bb_lol.gif