Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mallory

do you wear makeup to the dermatologist?

I schedule derm appointments on days I work from home. I don't wear makeup when I go to the doctor's office, maybe eye makeup, but that's it.

I understand where some of you ladies are coming from- about not wanting to show the world your face without makeup. It does make a difference when you go to the derm without makeup.

I recently had to switch derms back in September. I saw one back in August and I remember walking up to the receptionist who gasped at my chin due to red marks and hyperpigmentation. It made me feel as small as I want my pores to be. Not to mention the derm I was seeing walked in with a really pretty blond, blue-eyed intern who did nothing but observe my face. *sigh*

I wound up dropping that derm. Booked an appointment for a new one and after taking one look at me (again, I was not wearing makeup), he said I needed an antibiotic.

So yeah, I never wear makeup when going to the dermatologist. I just make sure I schedule appointments on days I don't need to be out or at work.

Edited by paranoid1

absolutely do not wear makeup to the derm. How will they be able to see your skin for what it is?

If you have someplace to be afterward, bring your makeup and apply in the bathroom at the derms office, or in the exam room if there is no bathroom. this way you can leave and you feel comfortable

i go with makeup on but she has a sink in the room so i wash it off before i see her...then when we're done i touch up a little bit before i leave

Now that your face is all beautiful and glowy from the Accutane, do you still feel the need to wear makeup? If so, is it because you're so use to it or because you still have some leftover redmarks/scars? I would LOVE to not have to wear makeup lol.

i definitelyyy don't wear makeup like i used to! now ALL i use for skin makeup is bare minerals bisque, and i don't put it all over my face..i use a qtip to apply it on certain spots on my face (scars, redmarks, discoleration) and just kindof blend it in. and i use bare minerals blush or clinique brozner.

I don't wear any face makeup to derm appointments. I feel like I'm about to have a panic attack on the way there though haha. I always carry foundation, concealer, and powder so I can apply it in the bathroom afterwards.

I walk into the dermatologist with my red, acne covered face.

Plop in her chair.

And say, "Seeee!? Seeee what your little miracles are doing? Nothing!"

Proudly show off my face that looks like someone took a burning torch to.

And then run to the bathroom after and whip out my trusty concealer. Woohoo!

Ugh.

Going to a new derm on Thursday. Must go without makeup to show the true horror that lies beneath.

Terrified, because my old derm was at least in a dermatology practice. So everyone was there for skin problems. This new derm has his office in a general medical practice office. So tons of people there for all different problems.

I won't even step out to get a damn Slurpee from down the block without makeup, but I won't wear it to the derm. I mean... why? He's there to judge the state of my naked skin, not scrutinize my foundation.

I also partly do it to convince him to prolong my Accutane course, which he keeps wanting to cut short. I never stay out on derm days, though, and will make a stop at home to put my face on if I have to go anywhere.

This exactly. My derm's office is the ONLY place I go without foundation. I still put on eye makeup and just a touch of blush but nothing else. The way I figure it is, you're there for the treatment of an illness/disease/disorder (I don't even know how to classify it). If you were having issues with say, your heart...would you go to a cardiologist and not let the doctor use the stethoscope?

I only schedule appointments on my days off work, or that I put in vacation time from work, and always after classes :(

Whenever I used to go to the dermatologist I'd want him to see me at my worst so he knew how to treat me. I think this i really important and consider it an investment towards getting better. Some doctors might be able to see through the makeup but you're still making their job harder.

I know this is more difficult for women because your appearance is much more closely scrutinized. Breakouts that are painful or physically noticeable by you are difficult to ignore and can make you feel repulsive, but they tend to make you feel much worse than they actually look. Just tough it out and don't worry about those plastic faced old ladies, you're all way hotter than them any day.

It's interesting to note that the people who seem most reluctant to face the world without their makeup on seem very attractive in their pictures. The more attractive you are the more you tend to define yourself by your looks, an thus set very high expectations for yourself. Remember strangers have never met you before and have no expectations. Do what's best for you in the long run.

so i'm going to the derm for the first time in a very long time on friday...

when i was younger, i didn't care as much about being seen in public without makeup, but now... not so much. i wish i could still be like that, though!

so my question: all of you that go to the derm- do you wear makeup there? does he/she make you remove it?

I usually wear makeup to the derm cuz of all the people you have to see before you get to her office....but the last 2 times i didnt cuz i didnt have any actives, just post pimple marks.

but mine didnt make me remove it cuz her lights in the office are SOOOOOOO BRIGHT and derms can see your skin through even the best application of makeup, thats why they are dermatologists.

but do what you're comfortable with, cuz i know having acne and exposing it to the world is the hardest thing to do.

I have been reading the posts in this topic, how came that your dermatologist allow you to use foundation cream, mine totally prohibit it and it's true everytime I use the foundation cream I get acne like big ones. What kind of foundation cream do you use ? And does it not affect your skin ?

Edited by rihabb

I always wear makeup to the dermatologist.. I have to take the subway to get there and there's no way I'm going to be seen in public without some foundation on. I usually don't put on as much as usual.

Once I'm in the patient room I whip out my facial wipes and take off my make-up .... and try not to look in the mirror with those bright lights shining on me! He also has a sink in the room in case I ever forget my wipes.

Afterwards, I quickly slab some foundation on in the room and then walk out into the waiting room, head to the bathroom, and do as quick a touch-up as I can before heading straight home!

Seems like a lot of work -- I can't wait until my skin is a little better and I can skip some of these steps!

i don't wear any make up when i go see my dr, it'd be like hiding the problem away and so they can't help you fix it, it would be like if you wore fake teeth to the dentist

I never go to the derm with make-up on so they can see exactly how my acne is. That way i know i'm getting the most accurate evaluation and treatment.

I understand how everyone feels to go bare faced and what a self esteem killer it can be but i think it's worth going without make-up to the derm.

but if you really want to make-up- i suggest taking it off in the restroom once you get there while you're waiting to see your derm. & then when you're done, go back inside the bathroom & put it back on. :)

I go to the dermatologist with make up. She ends up taking it off when she performs acne surgery anyway. I end up leaving with a red inflamed face, but I don’t have to sit in the waiting room feeling like everyone’s staring at me. I see so many people (guys in particular) who are also for there for their acne and I can just tell how insecure they are. I feel almost grateful that I can wear make up to try and cover up my imperfections. So many people leave trying to hide their faces, but I feel almost used to it. Than again I park my car as close as possible to the office and go directly home for the night!

I would go to the derm without make up! He/she won't judge you and they are there (or at least should be) to help you get nice skin.

I'm going to the derm for the first time in October & I'm not planning to wear any face make up.