Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello all.

I'm your usual case, tried almost everything (all sorts of antibiotics: Solodyn, Doroyx all sorts of topicals: Tazorac, BP, and all sorts of natural rememdies: Chinese herbs, baking soda, ACV, even aloe and more) and has nothing worked, etc etc.

Have considered Accutane but my family strongly believes that I'm going to suffer from its side effects and die.

So after that, I looked here and there (yet again) hoping to find a good natural supplement almost as good as Accutane but won't kill me with side effects. I found Vilantae. Then I found that the stuff is just Vitamin B5.

So I decided I'd look up B5. It looks pretty effective and doesn't have much dangerous side effects.

Except Hair thinning.

This is where it gets sad.

I'm Asian and I have ridiculously thin hair.

You can see some of my scalp as is in the back of my head and it's the second worst thing I'm embarrassed of besides acne.

So if it thins any more I think I will actually go bald.

I did read from some reviews/ posts that things such as taking a good "B-Complex supplement" or "biotin" can help prevent this. But I have no idea how much to take with the B5 and exactly what they would do to help. So please share your wisdom? Especially those who've prevented hair loss by taking something with B5? Any response is good. Thanks!

lol yeah B5 works for some, i am not prepared to lose my hair over it though. that would be worse than spots lol!

deadmau5, your taking 50,000iu of vitamin A lol! thats like accutane power !

i take about 6,000 per day. for the last week. my skin has become so dry around my mouth. its doing my head in.

i think it was the salicylic acid though.

How about a low dose approach, like starting with 250-500mg and gradually increase it to perhaps max 2-3g and then comes back down after you see a difference for awhile?

thats what i am now doing, i have taken 1000mg today then tomorrow will have 1500 then up it to 2000 and wait untill the bottle has gone :)

i hear lots of good things about vitamin D (which btw is a hormone not a vitamin ;))

thanks for replying you guys!

i'm a bit scared too about megadosing, but i'm also scared of wasting my time with too little.

hoping to see results this week or next, if no change i'll change the routine..

by the way want2beme,

are you taking biotin as well with the b5 to counter the hair damage?

thats what i am now doing, i have taken 1000mg today then tomorrow will have 1500 then up it to 2000 and wait untill the bottle has gone :)

i hear lots of good things about vitamin D (which btw is a hormone not a vitamin ;))

I am very curious about low dose B5, can you let me know how's it going for you?

Yeah my multi vitamin has 100mg of biotin and the right amount of inositol, also has other b vitamins and i take a 500mg of niacin daily. so i shouldnt see bad side effects of a mid to high does of B5.

i am now on 2000mg a day (if i remember to take all four)

Yeah my multi vitamin has 100mg of biotin

That's pretty crazy... That's an insanely high dose of biotin. Are you sure you don't mean 100mcg of biotin? If you mean 100mcg, then that's nothing. 1000mcg to 5000mcg (1mg to 5mg) of biotin is what you should be aiming for to fight hairloss. In parts of Europe, 15mg (15000mcg) of biotin is prescribed to fight hairloss. 100mg is way too high.

Yeah my multi vitamin has 100mg of biotin and the right amount of inositol, also has other b vitamins and i take a 500mg of niacin daily. so i shouldnt see bad side effects of a mid to high does of B5.

i am now on 2000mg a day (if i remember to take all four)

Are you getting any results with 2g of B5 daily???

lol they try under 10g of b5 and say it doesn't work

you have to take 10g a day to see it work no lower -got it?

get b5 with a b complex like vilantae or you will proably get hair loss

Edited by hihello02

I've been taking 500 mg of B5 for a couple months now. Definitely noticed positive results within the 1st month. That said, I am not completely clear, but I don't really get huge, long lasting cysts anymore -- I still get some cysts, but they're much smaller and gone within a day or two. I'm not going to risk taking a larger dose and I'm happy with the results I got from the 500 mg. I also take a B-100 everyday. This amount did not seem to have much effect on my oily skin though.