Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SkinBeingaDouchebag

What do we really look like to other people

When I look into the mirror I think I look decent looking, but when I look at a photograph of myself, I look like a different person. In the photo(s), everything just looks off;my hair parting looks weird, the top of my head looks really narrow, and my face is bleh. Either I am extremely un photogenic or I have been fooling myself about being decent looking, when in actuality I really look disgusting. :wacko:

Which image do people see when they look at you? Do they see my mirror image or do they see my photograph image? :|

Good question, I'm always thinking this, because I always see other sides of myself. I never look good in photos. Never. Not photogenic in the least but then again I hardly allow myself to have a picture taken. But yea how do other people see me? Maybe it's like when you hear yourself on tape or whatever and you can't believe how you sound because you never hear yourself as others do so your freaked out by this weird voice which is apparently yours but it doesn't bother anyone else because for them it's normal. Think about people you know, you'll see them differently at times, sometimes they'll look completely different in one photo from another or from a time when you may have been with them a day out or something and then you have photos from that day and it's weird because you or they don't look how you remembered or at least how you perceived at the time.

I am the same way. I actually like my reflection, but I tell myself that's not me. It looks better than I think I do look :think:

Which image do people see when they look at you? Do they see my mirror image or do they see my photograph image? :|

They see the photograph image.

I like my reflection better too. But hey, what are you gonna do, you know? :)

When I look into the mirror I think I look decent looking, but when I look at a photograph of myself, I look like a different person. In the photo(s), everything just looks off;my hair parting looks weird, the top of my head looks really narrow, and my face is bleh. Either I am extremely un photogenic or I have been fooling myself about being decent looking, when in actuality I really look disgusting. :wacko:

Don't be so hard on yourself. Come on, it can't be that bad.

Edited by I do not have acne

Good question. I think about that too. I think you have to remember that a photo is a still image of you, captured once and stays that way. But when you look in the mirror, it's a constantly changing reflection of you. Like, if you smile, your reflection smiles, if you move, your reflection moves. A picture of you will never do that. When you look in the mirror, if you think you look decent, chances are others will too. Because people will see the whole, moving reflection of you and not a silent, 2d, person. A picture doesn't really capture your "personality", your constantly changing reflection, or your "aura". And your personality plays a HUGE role in how people see you. So, yes, a photograph captures your appearance for a split second, but misses so much more.

I hope I made some sense.

-HomeBoundGypsy

Good question. I think about that too. I think you have to remember that a photo is a still image of you, captured once and stays that way. But when you look in the mirror, it's a constantly changing reflection of you. Like, if you smile, your reflection smiles, if you move, your reflection moves. A picture of you will never do that. When you look in the mirror, if you think you look decent, chances are others will too. Because people will see the whole, moving reflection of you and not a silent, 2d, person. A picture doesn't really capture your "personality", your constantly changing reflection, or your "aura". And your personality plays a HUGE role in how people see you. So, yes, a photograph captures your appearance for a split second, but misses so much more.

-HomeBoundGypsy

:clap:

They see the inside of you as well, and that matters so much more!

i don't know. like i look at myself in the mirror and i'm just like ugghhh. my face looks horrible. and then my brother will tell me that it doesn't look that bad, i'm just my own worst critic.

do poeple look at me and think that my face looks really bad and all acney and feel bad for me and think i'm ugly? or do they not think about it at all.

it's something i think about all the time unless i'm just around my family and friends.

it makes me so self conscious because i don't know how people are looking at me.

is anyone self conscious?

i don't know. like i look at myself in the mirror and i'm just like ugghhh. my face looks horrible. and then my brother will tell me that it doesn't look that bad, i'm just my own worst critic.

do poeple look at me and think that my face looks really bad and all acney and feel bad for me and think i'm ugly? or do they not think about it at all.

it's something i think about all the time unless i'm just around my family and friends.

it makes me so self conscious because i don't know how people are looking at me.

is anyone self conscious?

Everyone - no matter how attractive they are - is self conscious about their looks. Some people however find a way gain freedom from it. Your brother is being honest with you so use that as an esteem-booster, even if it is just for a little while. When people tell you you're beautiful, believe it yourself :)

some people do get a little freaked out or perhaps even "disgusted" for a lack of a better word when they first meet us; however, i've come to realize that this tends to only be during the first (or couple of first) meeting(s). after that, most people forgets that you even have acne.

think about when you didn't have acne and met someone with acne. you thought to yourself "damn, that's pretty bad acne" and then, as the days went by, you probably forgot about it. i'm sure you weren't like "omg his/her acne looks horrible" everytime you saw this person, and if you did, then you have issues; because the most of the primitives minds can see that we tend to keep around those who we like for who they are rather than for what they look like.

just take a look at a group of friends or your own group of friends; you have fat people, skinny people, people with pimples, psychological disturbed people, dirty people, clean people, kind people, crazy people, borderline people, cool people, dope smokers, nerds, cocky, artists, hispanics, black, whites, asian.. you see where im getting at?

i hope you do.

Edited by shallowbastard

some people do get a little freaked out or perhaps even "disgusted" for a lack of a better word when they first meet us; however, i've come to realize that this tends to only be during the first (or couple of first) meeting(s). after they start to see you on a regular basis, most people forgets that you even have acne. primitives minds can see that we tend to keep around those who we like for who they are rather than for what they look like. just look at a group or your group of friends; you see where im getting at?

I totally agree... people generally tend to accept you for all of who you are. And if they don't accept you, then they were never worth it in the first place. Yes, if you have acne, chances are you'll be self conscious. But as Dr. Seuss said, “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” :)

They see the photograph image.

I like my reflection better too. But hey, what are you gonna do, you know? :)

But surely it can't be all the time? I mean, a photograph is flat. Reflection is where every aspect can be seen. There are many angles and sides that make us up. It'd take many, many pictures from different angles to truly make a feel for what someone actually looks like. I look much better in video than I do in pictures, possibly because I am seen from every angle and not just one.

But surely it can't be all the time? I mean, a photograph is flat. Reflection is where every aspect can be seen. There are many angles and sides that make us up. It'd take many, many pictures from different angles to truly make a feel for what someone actually looks like. I look much better in video than I do in pictures, possibly because I am seen from every angle and not just one.

Exactly... pictures only capture one, extremely limited, external view of us. It's kind of like an illusion, and not the "whole picture", pardon the pun. :) Who we are on the inside is even more important... and photographs can't capture that.

-HomeBoundGypsy

2nd ..theres so much that goes into what makes us attractive to other people

Guest Chrisâ„¢

What do I really look like to other people?

Don't know, don't care.

People are the devil.

Those damned people are such an inconvenience.

People suck.

Ps: I'm a dolphin stuck in a feeble human's body.

wut

Seriously though, you are thinking too much about this. If someone doesn't like you just because of the way you look, do you want to get to know them anyway? Who gives a shit about people that judge you based on your looks, they are not worth one second of your time and their approval or opinion of you means jack shit. Some people will like you and some won't, but that isn't usually because of the way you look, and if it is then see previous sentence. Stop worrying so much about what people think about you, it's pointless. You are who you are, and if someone doesn't like you for who you are, or how you look, then fuck them, don't like them back lol. That's how I see it.

Don't know, don't care.

People are the devil.

People suck.

wut

Seriously though, you are thinking too much about this. If someone doesn't like you just because of the way you look, do you want to get to know them anyway? Who gives a shit about people that judge you based on your looks, they are not worth one second of your time and their approval or opinion of you means jack shit. Some people will like you and some won't, but that isn't usually because of the way you look, and if it is then see previous sentence. Stop worrying so much about what people think about you, it's pointless. You are who you are, and if someone doesn't like you for who you are, or how you look, then fuck them, don't like them back lol. That's how I see it.

Hey bro

U're pretty strong i admire u. But i wonder, do u have any bad days? Come on, share it -_-

Guest Chrisâ„¢

Don't know, don't care.

People are the devil.

People suck.

wut

Hey bro

U're pretty strong i admire u. But i wonder, do u have any bad days? Come on, share it -_-

Of course I do, everyone has their good and bad days. Sometimes I get really sad because I have really bad scars on my face that will be there for the rest of my life. I don't look like the average person. People stare at me constantly. It's harder for me to make friends than it is for most people. I have been through shit that no person should ever have to go through (not only acne/scars, many other heartbreaking things), and I'm only 23. BUT... I have come to realize that it is really a waste of energy to dwell on these things. I think that everyone needs to just live life for what it is worth, don't you agree? I mean, life is too short for all of this petty bullshit to bring us down.

Yeah, some people have better lives than others. Some people are more physically attractive than others. Some people go their whole lives without going through shit and they get every thing handed to them. So fucking what? It sucks and it's unfair, but thats just the way it is. There isn't anything we can do about it, so why worry about it?Know what i'm sayin? Gotta make the most of what you've got.

Edited by Chrisâ„¢

I've come to realise that acne isn't the only thing people see about me and I know that applies to everyone.

I was feeling quite bad about my face whilst I was at work earlier this week. One of my colleagues said to me how you doing pretty lady. I was quite shocked by her comment. And I felt better but stupid at the same time. I know I shouldn't base my feelings on what someone has said to me but who isn't guilty of falling for this. But it reminded me that I need to see beyond my acne.

People don't only see acne. They see you, they see someone who is friendly, who will help them out when they need something, someone with a sense of humour.

Maybe as an initial reaction or passing thought someone might consider your acne, but as has been said by other members above me, they forget. And maybe some people might dwell on it. So what if they do? That makes them shallow and quite frankly isn't your problem, its theirs.

Exactly... pictures only capture one, extremely limited, external view of us. It's kind of like an illusion, and not the "whole picture", pardon the pun. :) Who we are on the inside is even more important... and photographs can't capture that.

I agree with all of that.

Of course I do, everyone has their good and bad days. Sometimes I get really sad because I have really bad scars on my face that will be there for the rest of my life. I don't look like the average person. People stare at me constantly. It's harder for me to make friends than it is for most people. I have been through shit that no person should ever have to go through (not only acne/scars, many other heartbreaking things), and I'm only 23. BUT... I have come to realize that it is really a waste of energy to dwell on these things. I think that everyone needs to just live life for what it is worth, don't you agree? I mean, life is too short for all of this petty bullshit to bring us down.

Yeah, some people have better lives than others. Some people are more physically attractive than others. Some people go their whole lives without going through shit and they get every thing handed to them. So fucking what? It sucks and it's unfair, but thats just the way it is. There isn't anything we can do about it, so why worry about it?Know what i'm sayin? Gotta make the most of what you've got.

You rock, Chris.

You rock, Chris.

Ditto :)

I actually find it funny when people say I posted pictures on myspace and this girl or guy thinks I'm more attractive then I really am.

For me, it's the exact opposite. I think I look alot better in person then in pictures. I guess that's a good thing since I'll actually have confidence when it comes time to meeting people face to face.

I've come to realise that acne isn't the only thing people see about me and I know that applies to everyone.

I was feeling quite bad about my face whilst I was at work earlier this week. One of my colleagues said to me how you doing pretty lady. I was quite shocked by her comment. And I felt better but stupid at the same time. I know I shouldn't base my feelings on what someone has said to me but who isn't guilty of falling for this. But it reminded me that I need to see beyond my acne.

People don't only see acne. They see you, they see someone who is friendly, who will help them out when they need something, someone with a sense of humour.

Maybe as an initial reaction or passing thought someone might consider your acne, but as has been said by other members above me, they forget. And maybe some people might dwell on it. So what if they do? That makes them shallow and quite frankly isn't your problem, its theirs.

I've had a similar experience recently, that took me by surprise. Somebody said "You really are beautiful, you know that?"... during an incredibly severe breakout. I was blown away... I looked in the mirror and I couldn't see how anyone could think I'm beautiful. I about cried, I tell you. :blink:

I totally agree, & second your comment. People do like you for who you are... especially your personality. :)

I've had a similar experience recently, that took me by surprise. Somebody said "You really are beautiful, you know that?"... during an incredibly severe breakout. I was blown away... I looked in the mirror and I couldn't see how anyone could think I'm beautiful. I about cried, I tell you. :blink:

I totally agree, & second your comment. People do like you for who you are... especially your personality. :)

more proof that even when you feel that you're not looking your best .. other people see you very differently.

the way someone views you depends on your relationship. i mean, are strangers really seeing you? they see your appearance, but that's it. whether they're seeing your mirror image or how you look in a picture .. do they see how you interact with the ppl you care about? do they know what you believe, what you stand for? everyone you meet will form an opinion about you. even those close to you can perceive you differently .. you make the choice about whose opinion you'll focus on.

Edited by den_den