Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lakers247

I don't want to take Accutane!!!

I don't like the possible side effects, my Mom is keep bugging me to take it, my Acne is pretty severe, but I don't want to take Accutane, I've tried pretty much everything, and nothing seems to work, last thing I tried was BenzaClin and Differin alternating. Is there anything I can really do about my acne? Nothing seems to work for me, I HATE IT!!!

EDIT: I might try Proactive and Lemon juice, but don't really know if it would work for severe acne?

Edited by Lakers247

Accutane is different for all people. Completely different side effects usually everyone gets the dry skin, lips. There's a bunch of home remedies you could try before hand. There all at home right? You should try BP but don't get your hopes up to high as it takes a while to see results.

I don't like the possible side effects, my Mom is keep bugging me to take it, my Acne is pretty severe, but I don't want to take Accutane, I've tried pretty much everything, and nothing seems to work, last thing I tried was BenzaClin and Differin alternating. Is there anything I can really do about my acne? Nothing seems to work for me, I HATE IT!!!

EDIT: I might try Proactive and Lemon juice, but don't really know if it would work for severe acne?

Well I think I'm just going to stick to the Lemon thing, seems to be helping the Acne scars so far and it's only been 2 days doing it.

I'm just really annoyed that nothing seems to be working for me, and everyone else is seeing results from the stuff I fail to see results with :(

Edited by Lakers247

its okay, i tried all the topicals too but nothing worked for me. you can still try the antibiotics and bp..etc. you can always try accutane for a few days and see how you tolerate it. try to see your dermo every 2-3 weeks at least if you do consider accutane and remember to get the blood work.

you can also try the vitamin regime with 300 mg of vitamin b1-6, vitamin a, e..etc

Edited by shoes

I had the same issue. Didn't want to take such a sinister-sounding drug. In my experience, if side effects are intolerable, then there is nothing to stop you from ceasing use of the drug, but the positive benefits for me in terms of improved quality of life have been incredible. The sooner we get rid of acne, the less permanent scarring will result. Perhaps had I started the drug earlier I wouldn't have had to go through many dark, depressed days.

Saying that, talk to a dermatologist, let him or her go very carefully over the benefits and side effects and don't let anyone persuade you one way or the other.

Good luck!

So is there something that works almost as good as Accutane but without the side effects?

Or something at least close, that's stronger than the cream I have?

So is there something that works almost as good as Accutane but without the side effects?

Hi Lakers,

These are the steps I found quite effective before going on to accutane. They kept me good and clear for quite some time however I did end up getting the tane a little later.

1) Restrict dairy products (I cut them out completely - you can have almond or rice milk instead). I have tried zymil but that seems to aggravate acne, it is perhaps quite likely that it is not lactose but iodine that aggravates acne.

2) Decrease your intake of iodised salt, try adding sea salt to the menu instead. However, make sure you get your GP to test your thyroid function first to make sure you don't have hyper/hypothyroidism which can aggravate acne

3) Restrict bread/gluten products in the diet... with my experience I've found that gluten products can aggravate acne in the absence of obvious intolerance or Coeliac disease

4) Medications:

-- Clindamycin, if this is not effective or for systemic acne go to doxycycline (better side effects profile than minomycin)

-- 2.5% benzoyl peroxide all over face at night (+ morning if you want, I just do night), 5% benzoyl peroxide on trouble areas

5) Lots of exercise, lots of water

In my experience, these changes make an immense difference. Hopefully that helps!

Good luck :)

Hi Lakers,

These are the steps I found quite effective before going on to accutane. They kept me good and clear for quite some time however I did end up getting the tane a little later.

1) Restrict dairy products (I cut them out completely - you can have almond or rice milk instead). I have tried zymil but that seems to aggravate acne, it is perhaps quite likely that it is not lactose but iodine that aggravates acne.

2) Decrease your intake of iodised salt, try adding sea salt to the menu instead. However, make sure you get your GP to test your thyroid function first to make sure you don't have hyper/hypothyroidism which can aggravate acne

3) Restrict bread/gluten products in the diet... with my experience I've found that gluten products can aggravate acne in the absence of obvious intolerance or Coeliac disease

4) Medications:

-- Clindamycin, if this is not effective or for systemic acne go to doxycycline (better side effects profile than minomycin)

-- 2.5% benzoyl peroxide all over face at night (+ morning if you want, I just do night), 5% benzoyl peroxide on trouble areas

5) Lots of exercise, lots of water

In my experience, these changes make an immense difference. Hopefully that helps!

Good luck :)

Thanks Jay, I will try! :D

I really hope this works, my last chance.

Have you tried Retin A micro? I've taken Accutane before and it really works wonders but the side effects are pretty annoying. Do you not want to take it because of the side effects? If you have pretty severe acne, I would recommend looking into it. The last thing you want is to have scars in the future because of your acne. Retin A Micro uses vitamin A topically and Accutane is a high concentration of Vitamin A orally. Might want to double check that just to be sure.

Yeah it's the side effects, scared of what could happen. I've also read that join pain could occur, and I already have joint paint and I can't afford any more, I play alot of basketball and do alot of physical activities. Pretty much alot of the side effects I can't afford to have if I want to continue playing basketball or my normal routine.

Edited by Lakers247

Just yesterday I was at the derm and got one of those IPLEGE books. All that stuff and side effects are just crazy!!! You'd think there'd be something much more safe to take by now. I have mild acne with very oily face all the time and some body acne back some chest. I've really gotten into working out the couple of years and taking this they were saying I shouldn't take whey protein or any much physical activities!? I would see why it may cause depression in some.

I want to cure this damn acne and constant oily face once and for all but the chance of having life long effects from this which may not even work is just such a debate. I don't know how I could stop taking the protein and working out... I'd hate myself I went back to the way I used to spend my days.

I'm going to move with to the accutane sub forum.

I would like to say that if you don't feel 100% comfortable taking such a serious drug, do not do so. I know it seems frustrating right now, but you can find alternatives. I suggest looking at the severe acne boards for further ideas. =)

yes dont , i was talked into it, actually brainwashed by my derm and my mum and now im suffering becoz of it!

yes dont , i was talked into it, actually brainwashed by my derm and my mum and now im suffering becoz of it!

Hmm suffering? Long term effects from Accutane?

Guest Rocky666

One thing you should kno is never do Differin and Benzaclin together, I mean that's alot of anitbotics on your skin at one time. Even tho you're doing one in the morning and one at night, try one and if that doesn't work so the other.

Have you tried light therapy?????????? It works and safer....Don't take it if you don't want to and yes it has nasty side effects that for some become permanent.

Proactive and lemon juice will do NOTHING for your acne, I promise you.

The side effects of accutane are highly exaggerated. Many people complete their course without experiencing anything besides dry lips and skin. You should be fine playing sports, etc. If you do experience side effects, just stop the medicine. It's really not that difficult.

One thing you should kno is never do Differin and Benzaclin together, I mean that's alot of anitbotics on your skin at one time. Even tho you're doing one in the morning and one at night, try one and if that doesn't work so the other.

Differin is NOT an antibiotic. Also, adapalene and Benzaclin can be synergistic, which means that they work better in combination. Please check your facts before dispensing medical "advice" that could end up hurting someone.

Proactive and lemon juice will do NOTHING for your acne, I promise you.

The side effects of accutane are highly exaggerated. Many people complete their course without experiencing anything besides dry lips and skin. You should be fine playing sports, etc. If you do experience side effects, just stop the medicine. It's really not that difficult.

Yeah I know that, but some people saying it's left them with permanent side effects. When I went to my Derm he only gave me 2 options, Acu and other things that were in testing, and I don't want to use something that hasn't been tested yet...

Suffering? How so?

Differin is NOT an antibiotic. Also, adapalene and Benzaclin can be synergistic, which means that they work better in combination. Please check your facts before dispensing medical "advice" that could end up hurting someone.

Maybe you should stop dispensing wrong info that most only suffer from dry lips and skin and that it is highly exaggerated. There are many suffers that don't even come on this board. Side effects do happen and some life altering.......

to the OP- Look up Lamarr1986 posts on his light therapy that he did, he took Accutane and his face ended up worse and he got nasty sides and cleared up with light therapy and other things. Don't take it if you don't want and if you do take a low dose.....

emm yess?? 7 months?

Suffering? How so?

i cant see, it is awful! its like my eyesight has been destroyed

emm yess?? 7 months?

Suffering? How so?

i cant see, it is awful! its like my eyesight has been destroyed

Well if there are really bad or intolerable side effects you should get off. Not everyone gets these side effects so you shouldn't really say that you are suffering now because of it.

It's your own fault if you are suffering really, I saw your other post and it said the eye pain went on during the whole 7 months you were on accutane, so the logical thing would have been to stop the course as when it started to prevent possible damage to your eye sight.

My opinion: Try accutane, it can do a good job (I havent taken it but other people have had great results). If it starts getting too bad, or you cant handle it then you can just stop taking it.

Edited by Blehin

From personal experience, taking accutane was a very positive thing for me. Yes there were side effects such as dry skin and lips, redness and some flaking but it killed my severe acne quite quickly.

You are right to be hesitant and well done for reading up on the side effects before stepping into it. It's very sensible that you have researched your options beforehand. Voice your concerns and opinions with your GP and your Derm, but keep an open mind. Take on their advice but don't just follow it. Your thoughts and opinions are just as important as theirs.

What I will say is that if you do decide to start on accutane then just keep an eye on the side effects, both in appearance and mentally. If you notice something different that you don't like or aren't used to then speak to someone about it. Maybe get someone close to you like a friend or family member to keep eye on you too. I was guilty of keeping things bottled up and not seeking help of others and I suffered in the long run mentally. This wasn't due to accutane (or at least I don't think it was) but was due to the bashing my confidence took because of my acne. Look after yourself while taking any medication and you will increase your chances of seeing success.