Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bernard81

Accutane regimen?

(Cross-posted from another forum)

Hi,

My doctor didn't tell me that I have to stop eating anything while I am taking Accutane. But I've heard some doctors ask their patients not to eat tomato, carrot, etc. while taking Accutane? Is this true? Is there somewhere that I can find a list of products that I cannot eat while I am eating Accutane?

(I know that Alcohol and Vitamin-A supplements should be abandoned though)

Thanks

Beta-carotene in carrots is only converted to vitamin a if the body needs it. Eat all the carrots you want. The only foods you'll need to avoid because it is direct vitamin a are organ meats like liver, heart, chitlins, haggis, etc. The insert that comes with the drug itself lists what you should avoid.

Vitamin a suppliments should not be taken. Alcohol is highly controversial on this board. Oral isotretinoin already taxes your liver enough so to risk even more taxation with the drug is up to you.

Beta-carotene in carrots is only converted to vitamin a if the body needs it. Eat all the carrots you want. The only foods you'll need to avoid because it is direct vitamin a are organ meats like liver, heart, chitlins, haggis, etc. The insert that comes with the drug itself lists what you should avoid.

Vitamin a suppliments should not be taken. Alcohol is highly controversial on this board. Oral isotretinoin already taxes your liver enough so to risk even more taxation with the drug is up to you.

Thanks a lot for the response. As I was browsing through the posts, I noticed some people are on fat-free diets like lean beef burgers, etc. and some avoid eating pizza and similar stuff and they say this helps them maintain their blood sugar and fat levels. Is this correct? Should I avoid such food? In another post I read that someone's doctor has recommended him to take Accutane with Cheeseburger to improve absorption rates. This contradicts with avoiding fatty foods. Could you please give me some advice on this?

Thanks

It's recommended that you take your accutane with a fatty food to increase absorption. On the other hand, toxic levels of vitamin a cause poor liver function, so you want to watch your fat intake otherwise your cholesterol levels may get out of hand.

To deal with both issues, I recommend taking accutane with a "healthy" fat such as flaxseed oil, avocado, peanut butter, almonds, etc. but avoid other fatty foods as well as alcohol which makes the liver work harder than it needs to.

i second the suggestions above. take accutane with flaxseed oil or something rich in omega (not cod liver oil, too much vitamin a).

Agreed. Do not avoid a fat-free diet. It has been proven (again, it's in the insert) that oral isotretinoin is best absorbed with a fatty meal. That doesn't mean you have to go overboard with fast food or greasy stuff. Regular meals with healthy fats are good enough: chesses, oils within stir fries, avacados, peanut butter, meats, etc.

can we still drink juices with vitamin A?

of course, as long as you aren't getting large amounts of vitamin a then you should be fine

can we still drink juices with vitamin A?

of course, as long as you aren't getting large amounts of vitamin a then you should be fine

I just saw that the frozen eggrolls I like have 40% DV of Vitamin A per serving. Can I still eat them? :think:

These aren't eggs at all though, they're eggrolls.

I guess it's okay since it's just one; not like I'm eating one a day or even one a week.