Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pittsburghgirl

Pregnancy after Accutane

My dermatologist told me that you don't have to wait 1 month after taking taking accutane to get pregnant that the manufacturers put that there as an extra precaution. She says it actually clears out of your system in 2 1/2 weeks. Has anyone else ever heard that???

Pittsburghgirl,

Though it may be possible that the drug clears out of the system within a few weeks, unless there is a sense of urgency it may be a good idea to avoid pregnancy for a few months, as roaccutane has a potent teratogenic effect and can cause a number of mutations. If pregnancy does occur, it is vital that your obstetrician is told so that he or she can appropriately reassure you, provide you with the relevant options or arrange stricter monitoring during the pregnancy.

Much love,

Jay.

Ughh,,,I swear some derms..........No you can not get pregnant 2 1/2 wks after. I am not sure where you are located, but you have to at least wait a month...Since Roche does state that it can continue to work up to 2 months after your course I would wait a couple of months and speak to your Obgyn about things before you do get pregnant.

if I were you I'd wait months.. even a year.. it is your child. do you really want to risk that your child will be born with a defect or some other problem because you didn't wait long enough after your accutane course?

Thank you all for your replies. I wasn't planning on getting pregnant in 2 1/2 after my last dose, it was merely a question I had posed to my derm. She told me that 3 months, let alone 1 year is overkill! That it really does clear out of your system in a much shorter time than what is stated. I don't think any derm would be dispensing out info like that unless they were really sure about that. I mean who wants to be sued over misinformation and have their career ruined, especially when it concerns babies?

i've also heard it takes about a month to work its way out of your bloodstream, maybe a blood test is an option after a month just to be safe if you're worried. good luck and enjoy beautiful skin and being pregnant!!