Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShakeShake

How does accutane put you in remission?

Hello, I was wondering how accutane has 50% cure rate, if all it does is reducing oil production and kill the bacteria deep inside the skin? I understand accutane stays in your system for another six weeks after your done with your course, but what happens when its all out of your system.

Wouldn't the oil and bacteria just come back? I had some success with antibiotics, but right after i stopped my acne came back. I understand antibiotics reduce the number of acne bacteria. I really think that is the reason why antibiotics made me clear. I'm really scared accutane will not "cure" my acne even though I'm 90% clear right now.

T__T :cry:

well when oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria mix, acne appears as result. and bacteria is always there. no matter what. its just the matter of it mixing with oil and dead cells.

what antibiotics do is that they try to inhibit the replication of bacteria cells however bacteria replicates very fast so they build up a resistance so that is why many people are successful on antibiotics at first but then the acne comes back. then people are forced to get a different prescription on another antibiotic and the cycle repeats itself. and eventually the bacteria build a high resistance to antibiotics.

what accutane does is reduce sebum (oil) by reducing the activity of sebaceous glands. accutane goes to the source of the problem and it usually has lasting effects. i am sure accutane will clear you up very well since you say you are 90 percent clear. results should be promising

Thanks for the response. I was doing some more research and I found out they still don't know why accutane can put you into remission for a long period of time after your course. I just hope i can still clear after accutane. I'm so scared of oil!

Thanks for the response. I was doing some more research and I found out they still don't know why accutane can put you into remission for a long period of time after your course. I just hope i can still clear after accutane. I'm so scared of oil!

I thought that was the case too, but I found this

"Oil glands "go to sleep" during treatment, but come back to life a couple fo months later, so people are nearly as oily as they were before. Oiliness does not, however, necessarily mean acne. "

I don't know what he means by oiliness doesnt "necessarily" mean acne. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have acne if I wasn't oily. :mad:

"Oil glands "go to sleep" during treatment, but come back to life a couple fo months later, so people are nearly as oily as they were before. Oiliness does not, however, necessarily mean acne. "

I don't know what he means by oiliness doesnt "necessarily" mean acne. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have acne if I wasn't oily. :mad:

well every1 has different skin types, dry, combination, sensitive, oily! ppl with oily skin dont always have acne, just the odd spot here and there , larger pores, we are just the unlucky 1s! good thing about oily skin is that u have way fewer wrinkles in later life!! as the skins being constantly lubricated compared to ppl with dry skin there gna hav a lot more wrinkles!! haha

well every1 has different skin types, dry, combination, sensitive, oily! ppl with oily skin dont always have acne, just the odd spot here and there , larger pores, we are just the unlucky 1s! good thing about oily skin is that u have way fewer wrinkles in later life!! as the skins being constantly lubricated compared to ppl with dry skin there gna hav a lot more wrinkles!! haha

That's true, I seen oily people with no acne. However we are acne people and if oil returns after accutane we will break out again. :wall: