Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kerrylee

Milk/Dairy and Acne

Hi...I need some info and this seems to be the best place I have gotten help in the last year and a half!!

Long story short. My 16 year old had bad acne. Pustyal and cystic. Tried everything. went on accutane. been clear for a year and a few months. occasional small breakouts. Took 8 months to clear. Before, during and after accutane his breakouts have been linked to milk. He used to drink a ton of it.We experimented with this 3 times. It's not dairy products...just milk (weird I know).

If he even has a shake or ice cream the next few days he breaks out. We cut it all out.

My question is, he started working out and weight training. His trainer wants him to drink milk and protien shakes after each workout and 2 cups before bed. He just cant. His face will get real bad and he wont do it. Can he have soy milk or organic milk. I dont understand the difference? Dont they have dairy too?

Any help would be great!! Everyone is so nice and has helped me so much.

Like I said...he eats cheese like crazy. Its something about MILK.

Thanks! Kerry

I had the same problem with all dairy and finally just cut it out completely. I also played collegiate lacrosse so I had to maintain weight training and everything, meaning tons of protein. As far as shakes, I use a shake called Isoflex, it is a whey protein isolate, but is lactose free and gluten free.

Whey protein isolate is the purest form of protein, and is best both for weight training, but also for avoiding the side effects of dairy. I have been using it for years and I have had no problems with it whatsoever. It is a very high quality shake and has all the basics, with none of the crazy additions or additives that your seeing in stores like GNC.

Just search Isoflex and you should find it. Hope this helps!

Best,

WC7

I've changed to organic milk and seen much better results. The thing with 'regular' milk is the amount of hormones they pump into those cows to produce more milk that's causing your son to have acne.

You do not need to use milk or protein shakes! I used those all before I took Accutane (had to stop lifting when I took it and lost most of my muscle.) I've been back lifting 7 months now, and it took about 4-5 to pass where I left off before Accutane. What you need to do is eat a lot of chicken (not fried), salad, and fruit. That's what I did and now my lifting has passed where I could get with protein shakes before, and before I was still pretty strong (could bench press over 300 pounds)

You do not need to use milk or protein shakes! I used those all before I took Accutane (had to stop lifting when I took it and lost most of my muscle.) I've been back lifting 7 months now, and it took about 4-5 to pass where I left off before Accutane. What you need to do is eat a lot of chicken (not fried), salad, and fruit. That's what I did and now my lifting has passed where I could get with protein shakes before, and before I was still pretty strong (could bench press over 300 pounds)

I recently started lifting weights and I don't consume dairy either. heres what I use...both of these are extremely high quality products and the mixture tastes great. Neither contain any trace of dairy, not even whey, which made me break out and gave me terrible gas.

I mix vanilla coconut milk with Raw Protein

Though milk is one of the best sources of complete protein there are other ways to get plenty of amino acids in your diet to ensure that you are putting on muscle.

I would tell your son to eat a gram of protein per pound of body weight from sources such as eggs, meat, nuts, seeds, seafood and of course dairy. If you really must cut out ALL dairy then you still have lots of other choices and lots of other ways to get in your protein.

Instead of drinking milk before he goes to bed he could eat a few tbsp of natural peanut butter, or throw it in a shake with some oats and honey or jam which is what i do. A cup of oats and 2 or 3 tbsp pb is like 700 calories and 20-30 grams of protein add in a couple eggs (cook them in a frying pan, don't put them in the shake unless you're sure you can stomach it) and a few almonds and you got yourself a pretty good meal with lots of nutrients and protein.

I also like to make an omlette with eggs and tuna plus some cheese and veggies, it's got over 70 grams of protein the way i make it and tastes really good. I don't know if cheese would break your son out (i know with me it's mostly the large quantities of milk that do it) but it def helps to get in smoe extra calories and bring up the protein total.

It's not dairy products...just milk (weird I know).

If he even has a shake or ice cream the next few days he breaks out.

It's not weird. Most of the lactose is broken down when it's made into yogurt, cheese or other fermented products. But there are other reasons dairy affects acne besides lactose intolerance, so some people who can't drink milk can eat cheese, some can't.

natural peanut butter

Peanuts are a very common trigger too. Both because it's extremely common to be allergic and because it one of the highest sources of lectins. Of course, you could be allergic to the nuts and eggs mentioned, which are also source for lectins, just not the worst.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ZAG-enzym...gg-t247794.html