Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lexi M

Recurrant breakouts and trouble with benzoyl peroxide

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, I'm running out of ideas!

When I was younger I had severe acne and went on accutane - which cleared it right up. Now I'm 23 and in my second year of medical school - so in a very high stress environment. My acne has been breaking out again. While its not nearly as bad as it was when I was a teenager, it still looks terrible and is bothersome. I tend to get pustules - which look horrific. However, if I drain them they scab over - and look horrific. I feel like I'm in a rut.

I do not want to repeat the accutane - last time I went on an extended treatment and my mood swings were unbelievable. Not something I want to chance again, considering where I'm at right now.

I have used benzoyl peroxide in the past, but I have a lot of trouble keeping it from bleaching my clothing. Tuition is insanely expensive - I can't keep replacing my nice clothing that I get for clinic days, etc. So, I'd like to avoid anything that will act as a bleaching agent.

The last time I visited my family doctor, she suggested spectro jel. I've been using it a few months now with no improvement.

I really don't know what else to try at this point. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Lexi