Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone :D

To start off with let me introduce myself :P.

My name's John , 16 years old and a junior in high school and I suffer from severe cystic acne. I've had acne since freshmen year and it continued to get worse and worse. The dermatologist kept giving me basically every cream , gel, pill, face wash etc. to help cure my acne but nothing was working.

He had suggested me Accutane 4 months or so ago, but I declined his offer as I always read online the reviews people wrote about it and some of the side affects scared me. And I know this sounds girly but I hate seeing blood and hate needles, so after he told me I needed a blood test every month I basically told him its a deffinite no no that im taking Accutane.

So I kept on going with the creams and all the other garbage for another 2 months until I woke up one morning and just got sick of it. I was sick of looking in the mirror and seeing nothing but a bright red face full of acne, feeling like I was touching alligator skin when I touch my face, not being able to rest my head on my hand without saying owe, sick of everyone asking me if im on any mediciation for my acne and looking at me like I have two heads.

After that morning and alot of thinking I told my mom to call the dermatologist as soon as they opened and set an appoitment for me so I can start Accutane. The appoitment was finally set and I went to the dermatologist the next week. I told him I wanted to start what he recommend me to before (Accutane) and he immediatly without hesitation told me I was making a good choice for myself. I read and signed the whole iPledge booklet thing and he signed off on it.

That Monday I went in for my first ever blood test :shock:. I was getting kinda nervous because I didn't know if it would hurt alot or whether I would pass out or not if I accidentally looked at the blood. So I was asking a ton of questions to try and calm myself down. They brought me in the back office and as soon as I sat down I told the nurse to tell me when shes about to start so I can look away and close my eyes (yeah what a wuss I am :P) so she goes well start doing that now and puts a rubber band type thing around my arm. I turned my head and got ready for the pain :P, about a minute of silence goes by and I was like... are you gunna put it in? And she goes " hunny its been in your arm already , you didnt even feel it, im almost done ", after that I realized I got myself worked up for nothing haha. It felt weird driving home my arm felt kinda heavy.

Now my prescription came in for 40mg's a day and I picked it up from wal-mart.

I am now on my 6th day on Accutane and I take my pill at around 9:00pm everynight, right before I go to bed basically which is usually at 10:00 on school nights.

The only thing i've experienced so far is dry lips and somewhat dry eyes, my face doesnt seem to be getting any better at all, it is very flakey though. If anything it looks like it got redder and worse.

So im hoping Accutane will do its job, im sticking with it, this is one and only option left.

Sorry for my long boring story just thought i'd share!

I'll post some recent pictures of my face in a bit , right now all I have is a old picture of me when I didnt have pimples and when I had long hair in my avatar.

- John

Another 16 years old! =)

I'm glad you're starting Roaccutane I might too because I'm getting too fed up with it

Update us periodically plz =)

Do it! I was afraid of the risks but I said F it, whats life without taking risks!

Ill be sure to keep a journal and keep you guys updated.

About to go take my 6th pill!

hey!

I am going to be getting my first perscription in two weeks, not sure where to buy it yet. I am scared how much this is going to cost. I have insurance but it's still up in the air. How much does your tane cost from walmart?

Welcome to the club. Yeah, don't worry about the first few weeks on accutane it's just the normal IB. I'm starting to feel it right now and I'm on Day 4 everything seems to slowly be creeping out ha.

Hey man. I am the same as u, hate needles! My Mum didn't want me to see a derm because she wants to try everything else first, and tonight I'll be telling Dad that I want HIM to take me to a derm and get tane. I am so excited.

I'm sure I'll be shaking like mad in the blood test, but, hey, when it is all over, it is over, FOR GOOD! If not for good, more accutane please xD

So excited, I'll keep checking back to see how ya are doin =)

well i just took my last pill for day 14 and really have not noticed any real side effects besides dryer lips and my elbows hurt a little when i work out. Its really not as bad as some ppl make it out to be. Still havent experienced dry skin but i am very much anticipating it. I havent gotten the IB instead it has gotten a little better but i can't expect it to stay like that because ill be starting 80 mg a day in two weeks. My advice would be to take it and forget it instead of worrying about side effects, it makes it much easier. keep us posted

hey!

I am going to be getting my first perscription in two weeks, not sure where to buy it yet. I am scared how much this is going to cost. I have insurance but it's still up in the air. How much does your tane cost from walmart?

Well since im still a minor im under my parents insurance and to tell you the truth im not 100% sure how much it cost. I believe the pharmacy lady said $30 for one prescription but im not sure if I heard the right thing as I was anxious to get the meds and for her to stfu :P.

Welcome to the club. Yeah, don't worry about the first few weeks on accutane it's just the normal IB. I'm starting to feel it right now and I'm on Day 4 everything seems to slowly be creeping out ha.

Im not sure what day im on right now but im still taking my pill at 9:00pm every night. I think im just starting to get the IB because my face was getting better but not its a hole lot worse, theres not alot of cysts but theres more pimples that are sore to the touch and have white heads on them.

Hey man. I am the same as u, hate needles! My Mum didn't want me to see a derm because she wants to try everything else first, and tonight I'll be telling Dad that I want HIM to take me to a derm and get tane. I am so excited.

I'm sure I'll be shaking like mad in the blood test, but, hey, when it is all over, it is over, FOR GOOD! If not for good, more accutane please xD

So excited, I'll keep checking back to see how ya are doin =)

My mom and dad were the ones pushing me to go on Accutane, thats how bad my face is. I was the one hurting myself by saying no the first time. Believe it or not im kinda excited for my next blood test since my first one went so well!

well i just took my last pill for day 14 and really have not noticed any real side effects besides dryer lips and my elbows hurt a little when i work out. Its really not as bad as some ppl make it out to be. Still havent experienced dry skin but i am very much anticipating it. I havent gotten the IB instead it has gotten a little better but i can't expect it to stay like that because ill be starting 80 mg a day in two weeks. My advice would be to take it and forget it instead of worrying about side effects, it makes it much easier. keep us posted

As I said before im not sure what day pill im on right now, im on vacation in Gainesville, going to see a gator game tomorrow! So I just took the neccesary amount of pills I would need for the weekend (2) since i'll be home Sunday night in which I will take my other one.

The only side effects ive noticed so far is my lips are EXTREMELY dry and I tend to keep licking them which I think is making it worse. The other thing is is my face is getting really dry and I had flakes everywhere on my face. I've been having back pain and backaches but im not sure if its from the medicine. Its like whenever I bend over for a long time (which is at work when im stocking shelves sometimes) or bend the wrong way it hurts.

I have a dermatologist appoitment on Monday, I think im going to ask him if he can up my prescription up to 80mg.

EDIT: Sorry guys I ment 60mg a not 80, for some reason I had 80 in mind when I was posting.

Edited by JB772

Woke up about 30 minutes ago, first thing I do when I wake up is look in the mirror, its just a habit from taking this medicine, because you never know what changes happened overnight.

My big cysts on my left cheek has went down tremendously and now its just a big flat red mark basically with a few pimples coming out of it. For some reason my jawline and chin is breaking out more than ever and it looks real gross!

Hey man.. grats on the choice to start accutane! It'll totally be worth it in the long run, trust me! I'm on my 6th day of it.. so if you ever need somebody to bitch to, I'll be in the same boat.

Hey man.. grats on the choice to start accutane! It'll totally be worth it in the long run, trust me! I'm on my 6th day of it.. so if you ever need somebody to bitch to, I'll be in the same boat.

Haha thanks for the offer! I might be heading up to Orlando to go to HHN!

Went to the dermatologist today and he said my face probably wont be getting better untill the seconrd or third month but he did give me some moisturizer and face wash! :D

Went to the dermatologist about 3 days ago after my results came in and he said everything looking fine.

While in there I asked him if he could bump me up to 60mg a day and he said he usually doesnt like doing that but he'll give it a try seeing that a completed a whole month on 40mg without any problems. So now I take 3 x 20mg pills at night all at once.

He also prescribed me predizone (thats not how you spell it but thats how it sounds :P) to keep the inflamation in my body down in case I get an IB from upping the medicine.

I take 2 pills in the morning of this stuff, one after lunch, one after dinner, and two at night.

I'm now on day 3 of the 60mg a day and I actually came home from school about 40 minutes ago because my stomach was killing me, driving + having to take a crap REALLY BAD at the same time = very hard , I think I went 80 down every road until I hit my house. Im not sure if it was because of the medicine or if I ate something bad, or maybe I just had a stomach ache but I was in the bathroom for awhile, and it didnt smell nor did it look pretty.

So im gunna see how things go and if it continues to upset my stomach ( if that was the reason ) ill ask him to bump me back down to 40.

All in all I have to say (hopefully I dont jinx myself) my face has gotten ALOT better and the redness has gone down some what, my two big cysts on my cheeks have completely flattened and are almost gone!

So guys I was doing REALLY well for the past few weeks and all of the sudden my face started getting bad about 3 days ago. I'm having little pimples pop up in random spots and cysts along my jaw line "/..Just when I thought I was finally clearing up :(

So guys I was doing REALLY well for the past few weeks and all of the sudden my face started getting bad about 3 days ago. I'm having little pimples pop up in random spots and cysts along my jaw line "/..Just when I thought I was finally clearing up :(

Maybe you're having an IB? I'm on day 15 and the only thing that I've noticed about my skin is that the texture has changed and I'm not oily which for me is a real treat. It sounds like maybe you're going through the purging process? I've heard that this is a good thing most of the time, because under that stuff that's being pushed to the surface, there's clear skin waiting to take it's place. Hang in there, it's gonna be worth it. (That's what I have to tell myself by the way, hehe)

Besides, you're so young! I wish I'd heard about this stuff when I was 16 but my mom insisted that it would go away on it's own, though here I am at 24 in the same boat as you =)

Edited by MissNarNar

Thats the thing im not sure if im having an IB...I think I would have had one sooner if it was?

I just got back from the beach like an hour ago and the salt water helped it out a little bit "/

Hope I go back to the way I was like a week ago I actually got complements that my acne went down ALOT by like 5 people.

My Acne is still breaking out like theres no tomorrow.

I wonder if its because I used a oily sun screen when I went to the beach?

Also I think im becoming resistant to Accutane, when I woke up this morning my face was some what oily "/. It's like everything went down hill once I got bumped up to 60mg "/

Its just your body reacting to the increase of pills, I took the exact same dosages as you

Im thinking I would have stayed clear if I would have stuck on 40mg "/ I don't think I should have asked to up my dose :snooty: so hopefully its just what you said. Figures though, just when I was getting used to washing my face and feeling nothing but smooth skin "/

Edited by JB772

Went to the derm. again today, he said my face is looking better its just since theres so many red marks and blemishes on my face aswell as scars its making it look worse than it really is. He also bumped me up to 80mg a day (2 x 40) since I told him I have been having some new break outs.

So we'll see how this goes!

PS. Im going on month 3.

Edited by JB772

Hang in there :). I'm about 2 weeks off finishing, I had a terrible IB too, and it came a month or two in, like you. My derm put me on antibiotics to settle it down which worked nearly instantly. It's a long hard road, but I found the horrible breakouts easier to cope with because I knew there was something to look forward to at the end. If i'd had such breakouts when i wasn't on accutane, I would have been totally devastated. So I hope you can focus on the good things to come, and push on. You'll get there!

what kind of antibiotics did your derm put you on perthpurl?

It was called Pretizone or Predizone (im spelling it wrong but it sounds like that)

what kind of antibiotics did your derm put you on perthpurl?

It was called Pretizone or Predizone (im spelling it wrong but it sounds like that)

Im starting to break out again with large cysts that hurt like hell..its my third month..im supposed to be getting better not worse "/