Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whythankyou

My Retin A Micro (0.1%) log...

A little background: I'm 18. I don't really have acne anymore due to the use of AHAs and BHAs, and I think I just kinda grew out of it, but I really wanted to try out a tretinoin cream for the long term benefits, fix my acne scars, and for the occasional breakouts I get.

Before the Retin A Micro my skincare routine was

AM (BEFORE):

Clarisonic (Sensitive) + Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash

Cosmedicine Speedy Acne Recovery

Skinceuticals CE Ferulic

Neutrogena Age Shield SPF 55

PM (BEFORE):

Clarisonic (Sensitive) + Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash

Alpha Hydrox 12% Glycolic Souffle

ROC Multi Correction Night

Currently it is

AM:

Clarisonic (Delicate) + Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash

Skinceuticals CE Ferulic

Cerave Lotion

Zia Natural Men Eye Cream SPF 15

Neutrogena Age Shield SPF 55

PM:

Clarisonic (Delicate) + Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash

Alpha Hydrox 12% Glycolic Souffle

<wait 30 mins>

Retin A Micro 0.1%

If you have any questions about anything just ask!!

Edited by whythankyou

Week 1

Getting the stuff was kind of difficult. First I went to the clinic at my university because it is free and the nurse there wouldn't prescribe it! What a bitch! So I decided to go to a REAL doctor instead. At a medspa. The people there were a lot more sympathetic to my plight. Anyways they called it in and I picked it up at my pharmacy and it turns out to be Retin A Micro .1% not .04%. I decided not to correct them.. what's the worst that could happen?

Days 1-2: No side affects! I thought maybe I wasn't putting enough on.

Days 3-4: I start putting on enough to spread the cream all over my face. I also start using the AHA again 30 minutes before I apply the stuff. My forehead has a bunch of tiny bumps on it, but I was expecting that. That's all the evil coming out. My skin's also a little dry

Day 5: EVERYTHING STINGS. Even my facewash! My sunblock hurts the most, it feels like putting fire on my face. I stop using the AHA. Maybe I'll start using it again in a couple months when my skin's adjusted to the RAM.

Day 6: My face still stings whenever I put anything on it. They really mean it when they say use only a pea size for your entire face! I also ran out of facewash and moisturizer. I decided to get the Cerave face wash since it's supposed to be hydrating, and I could really use that. I also got Neutrogena Acne Stress Control since Paula Begoun said it was a good salicylic acid moisturizer, plus it's a lot cheaper than the Cosmedicine stuff. I also got the Delicate brush for my Clarisonic to replace the Sensitive brush, and only use it at night now.

Day 7: My face still burns whenever I put any product on it, except for the RAM ironically! My forehead has a cluster of bumps. The skin around my mouth is kinda crinkly, I think that means it's going to flake off. Annnd I have a bump on my cheek. But I think I have my routine down. Week 1 was a learning experience.

Here is a picture taken with the macro function D:. See the bumps! Some of the freckles are actually bumps/acne scars, if you tilt your screen you can see the difference.

post-69741-1254891872_thumb.jpg

post-69741-1254891872_thumb.jpg

Edited by whythankyou

Day 8: Something came over me and made me squeeze every bump on my forehead and the blackheads on my nose! I really hope I didn't do any permanent damage. :wall:

Edited by whythankyou

I can barely see any zits in the photo, it looks just fine!! I started the Clarisonic in July and that's what made my skin erupt, I had to return the damn thing. I'm on month 2 of RAM .1%, it's going well I guess.... as well as it can! Good luck!

Thanks! And yeah if I could do things over again I'd probably spend the $200 on something else other than the Clarisonic. It's nice but I could live without it!

Update: I went back to the skin regimen I used before I started the RAM. I attributed all my complexion defections to the Retin-A but I think it could've been all the new stuff I was using. Also, the Cerave cleanser sucks! Zero out of 5 stars! I wish my skin liked it, cos their website makes it seem really high tech and cool, but it burns! I'm also back to using the AH Glycolic Souffle. I missed it so much! Use it! It will change your life.

Anyways here is a picture of my initial breakout and one like a week after. I think the worst is over! The ashy stuff is the RAM. A lot of my freckles have disappeared too

Also, has anybody else's face on RAM gotten hairier? Like the downy, invisible peach fuzz hair that babies usually have...

post-69741-1258033029_thumb.jpg

post-69741-1258033064_thumb.jpg

post-69741-1258033029_thumb.jpg

post-69741-1258033064_thumb.jpg

Edited by whythankyou