Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myself999

African black soap (anago/alata)

I came across the reviews for this soap pretty randomly on google, so the next day I went to a healthfood store and got a $5 bar, I cant remember the name of it because I threw out the package, but it didnt have any additives in it and was dark brown in color. At first it dried out my skin a bit, but overtime it seemed to have calmed down and I later found out that the best soap to get is the raw unprocessed kind from Ghana, it seems to be more gentler, so I got a 1 lb of it from this site:

sheanmore

Its a good price and they ship priority mail. I've been using it for couple days and my skin definitely looks better. It leathers very well and only tiny ammount is needed. After the wash, the skin feels very clean and smooth, but also a bit dry, so right now I'm using a moisturizer/sunscreen in the morning (Z-silc) and alternate with moisturizer(radiance overnight conditioning cream) and clearogen.

One big thing I noticed was that my pores have gotten a lot smaller and my skintone is evening out.

I dont know whether its the acne cure I was looking for, but I'll keep using it until that time of month rolls around to see if it keeps breakouts at bay, since thats when my hormones go crazy.

But so far, I do like the results.

Edited by nooblet

Well, I'm still not sure what to think about it just yet. I've been using it (raw African black soap from Ghana) for about three days and haven't experienced any dramatic positive results. I'm a 26 year old male and my acne is in the moderate range. Don't get me wrong. It's definitely a wonderful cleanser, but I'm not too sure if it's helping my acne. I've actually had a few new papules and pustules, but nothing out of the norm. Like I said, it's only been a few days with twice a day use (morning/night). We'll see what happens.

Okay, I stopped using it. My condition was only getting worse. As a matter of fact, I had several blackheads around my nose and chin area turn into painful nodules and cysts. . . not good! I've made the switch to Lika's papaya soap and have been using it for a couple days now. First impressions are okay. We'll see where this takes me.

. . . still searching :)

Do you think it getting worse was definately attributable to the black soap?

Mine still hasn't arrived so I don't know what to expect when I use it.

My dad is convinced that asepso soap will cure my acne. So I just ordered that as well just to get him to stop saying it.

Have you tried asepso?

Keep us updated on the papaya soap!

Okay, I stopped using it. My condition was only getting worse. As a matter of fact, I had several blackheads around my nose and chin area turn into painful nodules and cysts. . . not good! I've made the switch to Lika's papaya soap and have been using it for a couple days now. First impressions are okay. We'll see where this takes me.

. . . still searching :)

Do you think it getting worse was definately attributable to the black soap?

Mine still hasn't arrived so I don't know what to expect when I use it.

. . . without a doubt. I had never before had such a bad reaction to anything else. This soap was the cause of several cysts in areas which I had never had them before. So far I'm not too keen on the papaya soap either. It's quite drying. My forehead is dry and scaly. This just doesn't feel healthy, and I've had more new blemishes form after using this than I had using the black soap. At least they aren't cysts, but there's a lot of them and they're really gathering around my lips. . . very unsightly and painful. On a positive note, it is flaking away the skin on those pesky cysts and other blemishes that were caused by the black soap. It just doesn't make my skin feel good. I need something that makes my skin not only look healthy, but feel healthy too. I'll look into that other soap you were talking about. Thanks!

Did you find the asepso soap? My dad had teen acne (I got in early 20s so more adult?) and says it cured his acne. I guess that will be my next project.

My black soap arrived today. I'm a little worried about using it after what it did to you. I do not want more cysts.

So I've used it once now and it is very drying.

I wanted to try it ever since I stumbled across the coastal scents website and saw it there with the following amazing reviews where all 100000000000000000 people are claiming it cured their acne:

http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/in...mp;ParentCat=78

I ordered mine from ebay from a therapy shop that also sells on ebay.

Hi, missziddi. Yes, I had the same experience with the black soap being drying. It definitely removes all of the oil from the face. I think this probably contributed to making my condition worse. I tried using cold instead of warm water when washing and rinsing, and it helped slightly, but the dryness was still there. And, I have extremely oily skin. As much as I would have liked to use only once a day, it was simply out of the question due because of my oily skin.

I'm still using this papaya soap, and I don't want to stop because it seems that the benefits so far are outweighing the negatives. I was tired of the dry skin after washing, so I did something about that as well. I bought a bottle of Thayers rose petal witch hazel. Wow! This stuff is awesome. It really quenches and hydrates my skin after a wash. It actually makes it feel normal. I'm also interested in moisturizing with jojoba oil. I've heard some great things about it, but I think I'm going to continue with my present experiment and see where it takes me.

I did find the asepso soap. I'm not too sure about it because from what I researched, it looks like it's just an antibacterial soap. This could be similar to Dial or Safeguard which I would never use on my face. . . sounds really drying. But, of course it's another possibility. The search continues :)

I did find the asepso soap. I'm not too sure about it because from what I researched, it looks like it's just an antibacterial soap. This could be similar to Dial or Safeguard which I would never use on my face. . . sounds really drying. But, of course it's another possibility. The search continues :)

I know.. it so looks like a body soap bar that my face screams don't put near me eeeeeeeeeehhhhh. I got it anyway, I just want to say I TRIED IT now stop commenting on my face! thank you!

oh and the jojoba oil, i got some last week, i really like it so far, i always feel like but i still feel dry after bp + moisteriser so to have something to add is nice!

I use black soap, its the one thing I could use when I was coming off of proactiv. *when I got the crazy urge in the past to use it off and on(proactiv), I don't anymore* . I used it to help sort of detox it out of my system much easier.

You have to moisturize with unrefined shea butter. Very rarely have I actually seen anyone use it without black soap, possibly if the black soap has shea butter made into it though. :think:

It's drying so its why a lot of people use unrefined shea butter to moisturize. *only the size of a sunflower seed though* My skin doesn't really get oily anymore and my forehead has really stayed consistently clearer. I use a *yellow* colored unrefined shea butter and it for me works better than the cream colored one. The one main thing I notice is that I"m forced to eat better while using it, because if I don't eat right that breakout/zit is no longer suppressed a easily as it used to be lol. It does go away quickly though.

I do think the soap by itself, because it is so drying, will make you break out pretty bad. You have to moisturize and black soap and unrefined shea butter from my understanding have a long history of being used together. I really love how even my skin looks, the glow and suppleness my face has now. *I'm using it in my avy on the left*

I get my black soap from online, for some reason the one from health food stores or the mall even don't work for me >_> ( I don't know the ingredients) Also shea butter for me has to be raw/unrefined because the ones added in a moisturizer make me break out too! >_> that ish isn't pure haha.

Some people alternate with castile soap (lavender i think)if they cant' find black soap. I may try that out in the future because the website I get my black soap from is always out of freaking stock! Arghh

Mine is from www.nasabb.com I use raw/unrefined shea butter from a woman named Sunshine on Etsy.com.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7489936

I'm going on 3 months...Wednesday since I have been using the black soap, shea butter combo, consistently. This from a chic that could barely go 3 days before changing a regimen in the past lol. Either way good luck