Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrhealthie

Cause of Acne **MYTH**

Iodine, one of the most important minerals needed by our body is being touted as yet another bad thing for acne. Can something as important as iodine lead to skin problems such as acne? Let us find out.

What is iodine?

Iodine is a trace mineral that is utilized by the body to regulate the thyroid hormones. This mineral is even required by the body for normal growth and development. Iodine is also required by the body for various other functions. Iodized salt is perhaps the most important source of iodine. All salty foods contain iodine.

Does it cause acne?

Iodine in no way causes acne. This essential mineral is vital for the functioning of our body. The only harm that iodine can do to acne prone skin is aggravating it further. Any excessive iodine inside the body is released through the skin pores. So when you have consumed iodine more than you actually should, it is released through the pores of your skin.

This iodine then irritates the pores of your skin causing your acne to flare up further. In some cases, this iodine may even get trapped within the skin pores if the skin is already oily or has high sebum levels. This can aggravate your acne and make your skin worse.

However, the worsening of acne due to excessive iodine intake is not a common phenomenon. Iodine is the cause of acne exacerbation only in a few individuals. But nonetheless, you should control the amount of iodine that you consume because besides aggravating your acne, excessive iodine can even cause various other health problems.

Should you completely eliminate iodine from your diet?

It is true that iodine can aggravate your acne condition further but this does not mean that you should give up iodine completely. Iodine is important for various body functions and is even essential for normal growth. You can continue to consume iodine but in the right quantity. Remember, it is only excessive consumption of iodine that hurts your skin.

Foods to avoid

There are some foods that contain iodine in extremely high quantities. You must avoid these foods if you do not want to aggravate your acne further. Here are some of them.

* Margarine

* Egg yolks

* Seafood

* Prepared meats

* Condiments such as ketchup, mustard and the like

* Bakery products

* Chocolates

To sum up, iodine plays a very negligible role in making your acne condition worse. But you can eliminate the tiny role played by this mineral as well by regulating the consumption of iodine. Make sure you take this mineral in moderation and you will be able to prevent your acne from going worse.

Moved to the Nutrition And Holistic Health board.

Please read the board descriptions before posting to ensure that you are posting on the appropriate board.

From a recent article in the journal of Cosmetic Dermatology (Vol 22). The topic of the article wa on medications that cause acne and acneform eruptions:

Halogens

Iodides and bromides have been reported to induce a

flare of inflammatory acne.80 The mechanism is unknown

but may relate to stimulation of neutrophil function.

The most common sources of halogens are some thyroid

medications, expectorants containing potassium iodide,

contrast medium, iodized salt, vitamin and mineral

preparations, and some sedatives.80,81 The inflammatory

eruption occurs in the typical acne areas (face and upper

trunk), as well as elsewhere, commonly in an asymmetrical

distribution pattern. Initial lesions are often follicular

pustules, and later, comedonal lesions can emerge as a

hyperkeratotic reaction to chronic inflammation.81

I never use salt in my food and if I do, it's sea salt (which shouldn't be high in iodine, am I correct?), thus my main iodine source should be eggs. I eat a lot of eggs, usually 2 a day minimum. Should I restrain my egg consumption? If so, how many eggs can I eat?

It's hard to get the protein my adolescent body needs without indulging in either egg or meats. And egg is by far the cheapest source of protein. Perhaps more chicken is in order.

I disagree. Look at non-westernized countries that only eat seafood - proven to have absolutely none to very little acne

I never use salt in my food and if I do, it's sea salt (which shouldn't be high in iodine, am I correct?), thus my main iodine source should be eggs. I eat a lot of eggs, usually 2 a day minimum. Should I restrain my egg consumption? If so, how many eggs can I eat?

It's hard to get the protein my adolescent body needs without indulging in either egg or meats. And egg is by far the cheapest source of protein. Perhaps more chicken is in order.

Eggs alone probably won't be a problem. It really depends on what the rest of your diet is like. Western diets often are high in salty foods, (chips, pre-packaged dinners, salty canned soups, etc.), dairy (which has high iodine levels), and iodized table salt that people use for cooking or add to their foods. Seaweed is also a problem for some people - its has very high levels of iodine. Its one of the things that will flare me up, so I keep my sushi consumption to a minimum now.

Of course it also depends on if you are iodine deficient or not, have any thyroid issues, etc.

I disagree. Look at non-westernized countries that only eat seafood - proven to have absolutely none to very little acne

If you are talking about the study I think you are, this population of people also had no processed foods in their diet, no iodine in dairy, no salty snacks, etc. A diet high in fish alone probably won't flare acne - fish also has omega-3 fatty acids, which is beneficial for acne sufferers. Most countries, with varying dietary habits, have people who suffer from acne.

how do egg yolks cause acne?

Eggs don't necessarily cause acne on their own. However, a diet that is high in lots of iodine-rich foods may flare acne.

Eggs alone probably won't be a problem. It really depends on what the rest of your diet is like. Western diets often are high in salty foods, (chips, pre-packaged dinners, salty canned soups, etc.), dairy (which has high iodine levels), and iodized table salt that people use for cooking or add to their foods. Seaweed is also a problem for some people - its has very high levels of iodine. Its one of the things that will flare me up, so I keep my sushi consumption to a minimum now.

Of course it also depends on if you are iodine deficient or not, have any thyroid issues, etc.

Ok. I'm avoiding chips, pre-packaged dinners in general, all dairy and table salt. Seaweed is not something I eat very often. Is 2-4 eggs a day ok then? It would be nice if this was the cause of my acne and I could just cut it out.

Ok. I'm avoiding chips, pre-packaged dinners in general, all dairy and table salt. Seaweed is not something I eat very often. Is 2-4 eggs a day ok then? It would be nice if this was the cause of my acne and I could just cut it out.

As far as iodine goes, I don't think they would be a problem. And we all need at least some level of iodine in our diets, so you don't want to cut out all sources. Unless there is another mechanism by which eggs cause acne that I am not aware of (or if you are possibly allergic to them)?

Here is the list of foods that contain iodine. I don't see eggs on this list. I don;t avoid everything here - I still eat seafood, asparagus and other veggies with iodine, and a very small amount of dairy (I do avoid most dairy though). I think cutting out the biggies like kelp, salty snacks, minimizing dairy is enough for me.

Food/Beverage

Iodides (ppm*)

Seafood

Clams

Crab

Kelp

Lobster

Oysters

Shrimp

Sole

Squid

Meat and Poultry

Beef liver

Chicken

Hamburger

Turkey

Vegetables

Asparagus

Broccoli

Brussels sprouts

Corn

Green beans

Onions (white)

Potato

Dairy Products

Butter

Cheddar cheese

Cottage cheese

Homogenized Milk

Sour cream

Yogurt

Drinking water

Miscellaneous

Coca-Cola

Iodized Salt

Potato chips

Seasoned

Sugar

Tortilla chips

Wheat germ

White bread

* ppm: parts per million

flare of inflammatory acne.80

Leaving us to wonder if reference [80] was a randomized, controlled study with N > 1000, or a case report from some dermatologist in Frostbite Falls of the "lookie at what I think I saw the other day" form. :D

flare of inflammatory acne.80

Leaving us to wonder if reference [80] was a randomized, controlled study with N > 1000, or a case report from some dermatologist in Frostbite Falls of the "lookie at what I think I saw the other day" form. :D

How many (good) randomized control studies on diet/acne with clearly interpretable results are there? Not very many! There is plenty of research on the side effects medications in the iodides and halogen families - acne flares are a well-established side effect. If you are looking for a study that looked at people who lowered their iodized salt intake, no - that ain't there. And the article does come from a reputable journal - they don't tend to cite conversations with Joe Schmoe in their references.

1: Rev Prat. 2002 Apr 15;52(8):838-40. Links

[induced acne]

Humbert P.

Induced acne belongs to the clinical forms of acne. Some dermatoses present with acne-like patterns. They can be induced or perpetuated by non physiological factors. Among these factors, medicines must always be considered, taken either topically (dermocorticoids, sulfur, anti-acneic topics) or generally (androgens, oral corticoids, ACTH, anti-epileptics, anti-depressive drugs, anti-tuberculosis medications). Halogens (iodine, bromine) found in inhaled or orally taken pharmaceutical products, or associated with occupational contact, can also induce acne. Acne of exogenous origin has been described in some specific occupations, and are induced by exposure to chlorine, industrial oils, tar. Sun exposure, PUVA therapy and ionizing radiation are potentially acneigenous. Finally acne caused by cosmetics includes acne cosmetica, brilliantine and oily creams acne and detergent acne.

And you also should underestimate the usefulness of clinical case studies. They don't have the statistical punch of a controlled research study, but can be useful in figuring out the complicated nature of the diet-acne relationship.

Letter:

Christopher M. Papa, MD

New Brunswick, NJ

Arch Dermatol. 1976;112(4):555-556.

To the Editor.—

Kelp, the unmasked culprit of iodide-induced myxedema,1 has worked its villainies on our dermatology clinic patients.

Two teenagers with mild, untreated, comedonal acne developed crops of abscess-like inflammatory pustules and papulonodules on the face, neck, shoulders, and back. One had been recently introduced to daily kelp tablets as part of her mother's program for weight control; the other had started taking kelp-containing "natural vitamins" in an effort to "feel better." Both youngsters' skins cleared within several weeks after they stopped taking the seaweed supplement.

Another unexpected source of considerable amounts of iodides appears to be the food from America's fast-service snack establishments, according to a feature article in Consumer Reports (40:278, 1975). The syndrome recently described as "McDonald's acne" was attributed to contact with hot cooking oils and grease2; the condition may actually be due to the ready availability of this high-iodide diet . . .

Here are references 80 and 81. From the well respected journals Clinical Dermatology and Cutis. Most of the research on iodides was done in the late 1960s through the 1970's.

80. Webster GF. Pustular drug reactions. Clin Dermatol. 1993;11:

541-543.

81. Fisher AA. Drug eruptions in geriatric patients. Cutis. 1976;18:

402-409.

Broccoli is on the list of high iodine foods but it contains a high amount of goitrogens which supresses thryroid function and iodine absorption so I'm not really sure if that's a food to be avoided

Broccoli is on the list of high iodine foods but it contains a high amount of goitrogens which supresses thryroid function and iodine absorption so I'm not really sure if that's a food to be avoided

I agree - I don't knock out the veggies on the list. I think the list gives you a good idea of how many foods actually provide iodine in our diet. More argument to cut out the unnecessary ones like salty snacks, chips, butter, etc.

I'm happy someone finally made this thread, I don't get why everyone on these boards always mention iodine ad bad for acne and avoid it for dear life. I take iodine as a supplement and since doing so my acne has improved dramatically. Just goes to show how much people here really know.

I'm happy someone finally made this thread, I don't get why everyone on these boards always mention iodine ad bad for acne and avoid it for dear life. I take iodine as a supplement and since doing so my acne has improved dramatically. Just goes to show how much people here really know.

Just because it doesn't worsen your acne doesn't mean it works that way for everyone. There is research showing that iodine does flare acne in some people. Its just like any other dietary factor - dairy, nuts, citrus fruit - problematic for some people but not others.

willow, you know what's trippy about you? I see different people depending on which of the guys on your avatar I'm looking at, and which one I look at depends on the content of the post.

:D

willow, you know what's trippy about you? I see different people depending on which of the guys on your avatar I'm looking at, and which one I look at depends on the content of the post.

:D

I have guys in my avatar? :think:

Guest DireStraits

As of today here in Australia all bread must contain iodized salt to combat the deficiency in babies and young children. Its being touted that it will make Australians 'smarter' hehe....

Its a pretty important mineral for some but I know for me, every time I eat kelp which contains iodine I break out.

Edited by DireStraits

Really? Seaweed shouldn't do that! Are you just having it plain or having it with some kind of sauce? Japanese people have been eating kelp (the RICHEST source of Iodine) for breakfast lunch and dinner for their lifetimes, and they are some of the most healthy people on earth. Not only acne free but full heads of hair at 80 years old.

Anyway I came in here to post the same thing you did almost. That the majority of people in Australia are DEFICIENT in Iodine. The reason for this is because of the soil quality depleting which means less proper Iodine in vegetables.

Iodine overdose is a myth. That i'm sure of. If Iodine HELPS acne and your health, that i'm not positive about. I'd lean towards yes but not significantly.

As of today here in Australia all bread must contain iodized salt to combat the deficiency in babies and young children. Its being touted that it will make Australians 'smarter' hehe....

Its a pretty important mineral for some but I know for me, every time I eat kelp which contains iodine I break out.

Too much sashimi will break me out, since it contains seaweed. Same with salty snacks or anything with a lot of added iodized salt. In the U.S., our iodized salt contains far higher levels of iodine than does the iodized salt in other countries - I think its nearly twice as much iodine.