Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Warrior of Acne

Do you think acne is the worst skin disease other than cancer?

Out of all the skin diseases (other than cancer), don't you think that acne is probably the worst? It's terribly disgusting looking, and no matter what people say about how it adds character, nobody is fooling me, it isn't attractive. Also, it affects you emotionally. I have been picked on so many times because of my acne. "Why do you have so many zits?" and "Don't you take showers?" are some of the most common culprits. I hate to sound so harsh, but acne is an extremely debilitating disease for me and it just sucks in general. What do you think?

Are you kiddin me? Not at all. There are so many awful skin diseases that we should be thankful we don't suffer with. You must not know any other skin infections besides acne to think it's the worst. For ex: Cicatricial pemphigoid (Chronic Blistering disease), which I am sure is way more painful than a pimple and it heals with significant scarring.

IMO, acne is bad but absolutely not the worst (after cancer)

at least it's not like blisters all over your face, or huge chunk of skin got rotten/eaten away...

and we know acne is treatable (though it's a hard battle)

but one day,one day acne will leave us alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cutaneous_conditions

just keep scrolling down the list, you'll definitely come to a handful of skin diseases that's worse than acne.

Edited by katharine

No, there are way worse diseases than acne. For instance, there's a disease known as Harlequin type ichthyosis which is usually fatal in most cases.

No, there are way worse diseases than acne. For instance, there's a disease known as Harlequin type ichthyosis which is usually fatal in most cases.

I was about to suggest this one. Gosh, I head about this a few weeks ago and looked up some pictures and stories. It literally made me cry. I felt so stupid about being unhappy with the skin I've got-completely, normally functioning skin compared to these people.

Harlequin Ichthyosis is a normally fatal skin condition where the skin sheds ten times faster than normal. The result? Babies born with diamond shaped scales for skin, bright red eyes that are turned inside-out: a look that makes them look positively alien. These scales make the skin easily crack, causing the victim to bleed out, or for fatal diseases to enter.

Not to mention the excruciating pain.

Ryan Gonzalez is a survivor of this disease.

2.jpg

He was saved, ironically, by being administered a low dosage of accutane at birth, and continually from then on. He has to maintain a diet of about 7,500 calories a day because his constantly forming skin causes. He has impaired hearing and eyesight as well.

Acne isn't a condition that puts us constantly on the verge of death.

Also, of course, there's the man with no face-

http://www.fubartrivia.net/trivias/the_man_with_no_face.html

http://www.fubartrivia.net/factimg/ryan_gonzalez_adult.gif

Reading Cellos' post made me remember the Tree Man. I was in tears when I saw this on tv. He was a regulal looking young man, and all of a sudden this happened. Unlike acne, he can't get rid of it. If you perform surgery on the lesions they grow right back. Poor soul.

">
Edited by BRAZZY

I wont say its acne thats not accepted by society. Rather, society views ALL flaws as unacceptable, be it acne, large size, balding etc.

As the Heir said, u can continue your life after acne, since usually its not permanent and there are a lot of viable treatments for it.

Permanent flaws, such as scarring, balding etc, generally create more emotional trauma due to their permanence.

Reading Cellos' post made me remember the Tree Man. I was in tears when I saw this on tv. He was a regulal looking young man, and all of a sudden this happened. Unlike acne, he can't get rid of it. If you perform surgery on the lesions they grow right back. Poor soul.

I remember watching this when it was on tv a couple of years ago. Ya that is just awful and i felt so sorry for them. They were put into shows to perform in front of ppl and they actually did not mind doing it. Wow just amazing. Just reminds you when your down about acne and feel the lowest in the world. that there our ppl out there like this that still get through the day with no regrets. Pretty big influence to become stronger.

Aww, all these posts have made me sad. Lol. I feel terrible for posting this. Once again, I was just ranting haha

:comfort: Don't feel terrible! We all need to vent sometimes and acne can be so overwhelming.

I think almost everything has been said already. It's hardly the worst disease out there but don't feel bad for venting a bit. That is what these boards are here for.

I wanted to build upon what somebody else said and mention the fact that acne may not be completely socially accepted, but if you think back to the 12th century or so, some skin disorders were considered the 'work of the devil' and people were usually ostracized for having noticable issues or in very harsh cases, sometimes killed for witchcraft or being affiliated with satan.

I know that doesn't help in the present day, but it makes me feel better from time to time.haha.

ill be honest about it

as much as i hate acne, it doesnt even come close to the position of worst skin desease..

some people might think so, because its on of the most common skin deseases, but there are some individuals on this earth like that treeman guy, who have a LOT more to cope with then we have.

but i do think acne is one off the biggest b*tches when it comes to treating it, its like near impossible..

No way, my dad has full body psoriasis. It causes him to have large, rough and scabby patches all over his body, even in his hair. It's auto-immuse so his immune system attacks his own skin, even his finger nails grow in dead and he has to cut then almost completely off. He does puva light therapy once a week and takes loads of meds.

He won't wear short sleaved shirts, shorts or sandle, because he doesn't want people to see and he's itchy all the time :(

I knew a person that had a huge birthmark.. on their FACE. So I think thats a bit worst than acne.

That Tree man has been cured.

THE world's infamous Tree Man is well on the road to recovery, after amazing footage has revealed most of his gnarled warts have disappeared.

But as these pictures show, Dede, the softly-spoken Indonesian is losing the hideous growths, thanks to treatment by the American dermatologist, Dr Anthony Gaspari.

The expert found Dede, from Indonesia, suffers from the Human Papiloma Virus (HPV), or common warts.

In Dede's case, due to a low immune deficiency, the virus flourished to a massive, debilitating infection.

Over nine months, Dr Gaspari issued Dede with chemotherapy and performed gruelling surgery to remove 13lbs of branch-like warts.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Now Dede is transformed.

He says: "In the past I couldnt even put on my own shirt. Now I can do it myself. It's wonderful."

I found this article from The Daily telegraph website. There were also picture of this guy after treatment. I tried post link to this article, but it did not work out. I dont know why.

Edited by PolarBear29

Wow shit this is painfull to watch...

I feel bad for people with that kind of skin conditions, makes me feel lucky with acne.

Even though we're not:P

I think i understand what you are saying, nobody makes fun of people with cancer(well atleast I hope not) but compared to other skin diseases acne doesnt it seem that bad, but you are right it messes you up emotionally

Is it just a coincidence that "chemotherapy" i.e. accutane has been used for most of these skin disorders like Ryan Gonazalez and the tree-man? I believe even in people with acne, new skin cells are being generated too fast and the body can't shed them off fast enough leading to blockage etc. Oil is a problem but many people with oily skin don't have acne because their skin cells are not being generated so fast.

I saw this article on the internet about a woman who took her own life cause of some vicious skin disease. It looked like some kind of fungus on her body, it even ate away her entire left breast. Gruesome stuff.