Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AcnePwns

Subcision help

I want to get subcision done soon and have some questions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. How long is the downtime? A lot of people are saying 1-2 weeks but please be more specific.

How close to 100% healed are you usually after 1 week? After 2 weeks? When can I expect it to heal 100% (both bruising and discoloring)?

2. Since you arent support to get subcision done on a scar with a filler in it. What would happen if I do?

3. Is subcision a procedure whom I want to find the best doctor for?

Because somebody on this board mentioned that it is fairly easy thing to do and does not require great skill.

4. Do you recommend me treating as many scars as possible with subcision or only the big and deep ones?

5. How much improvement have you noticed after you got subcision done?

6. There is a risk for more scarring, so what are the chances of it happening?

I've heard that scars can be deeper or you can get a needle/knife scar. I scar very easily, even from small zits or cuts on my face.

I am planning to use Perlane after I get subcision done, I think it can work for a few of my deeper, bigger scars.

Edited by AcnePwns

had done once

1) swelling - 3 days. but bruising lasted about 4 weeks and travelled right down my neck. arnica cream should help

2) I got a filler at the moment. don't know tbh what would happen. probably dislodge, causing bumping I would imagine. not a good idea, thats for sure

3) I would say so. I heard stories of botched subcisions causing scarring

4) personally i would go for as few as possible. they use massive amounts of lidocaine for a full face. and i felt very dizzy

5) once microswelling has gone, scars sink back down. overally improvement about 20%. not much. If u just have a subcsions they tend to re-tether.

6) I think it is a low risk procedure compared to most

I want to get Perlane injected after subcision, but only after my last round since I'm not suppose to get subcision done when I still have a filler underneath.

Did anyone develop (temporary) lumps shortly after the subcision and how long did it take until it went away?

Did anyone develop (temporary) lumps shortly after the subcision and how long did it take until it went away?

i had subcision done about a month ago on both cheeks and my temples as well as a few areas along my jaw line. i would say it looks about 50% better than it did before the procedure. my dr. said it would take 4 to 6 months to completely heal which is why he did not want to take "after" pictures of my face. i did develop a firm lump on my cheek (you can't see it but you can feel it). the dr. said it was due to some blood pooling under my skin. he did an ultrasound treatment on it to break it up. it hasn't completely gone away yet but like i said you can't see it at all. the procedure only took about 30 minutes and really wasn't bad. when he was doing the subcision i could feel the tethers actually snapping and i could hear them as well. the deeper scars were gone immediately and even after the swelling went down a day later they did not come back. i did bruise but it was minimal and not that bad. not too much pain either (about as bad as a mild headache). it took about a week for the bruising to go away but i had no downtime at all. overall, i am very pleased with how it turned out. be aware that you may need more than one session. i'm going back in 4 months to have it done again. the dr. marks the scars with a marker so he knows where it to insert the needle but after he gets into it it gets really bloody (according to my wife) and has trouble seeing where the marks are so it's difficult to get all of them. also, because you start to swell immediately some of the scars raise up temporarily so they don't get subcised. the dr. did say that he could finish it all up with a laser treatment when i was done with my sessions but i don't know if i'll do that. one important thing to note is that my dr. said that i could probably never get perfectly smooth skin again but i could get close to it. i guess if you have millions of dollars you could do it but i'm happy with what's been done so far. find a dr. who's done it a bunch of times (my doc has been doing subcision for at least 10 years). there are risks but i think a good doc can avoid them.

i had subcision done about a month ago on both cheeks and my temples as well as a few areas along my jaw line. i would say it looks about 50% better than it did before the procedure. my dr. said it would take 4 to 6 months to completely heal which is why he did not want to take "after" pictures of my face. i did develop a firm lump on my cheek (you can't see it but you can feel it). the dr. said it was due to some blood pooling under my skin. he did an ultrasound treatment on it to break it up. it hasn't completely gone away yet but like i said you can't see it at all. the procedure only took about 30 minutes and really wasn't bad. when he was doing the subcision i could feel the tethers actually snapping and i could hear them as well. the deeper scars were gone immediately and even after the swelling went down a day later they did not come back. i did bruise but it was minimal and not that bad. not too much pain either (about as bad as a mild headache). it took about a week for the bruising to go away but i had no downtime at all. overall, i am very pleased with how it turned out. be aware that you may need more than one session. i'm going back in 4 months to have it done again. the dr. marks the scars with a marker so he knows where it to insert the needle but after he gets into it it gets really bloody (according to my wife) and has trouble seeing where the marks are so it's difficult to get all of them. also, because you start to swell immediately some of the scars raise up temporarily so they don't get subcised. the dr. did say that he could finish it all up with a laser treatment when i was done with my sessions but i don't know if i'll do that. one important thing to note is that my dr. said that i could probably never get perfectly smooth skin again but i could get close to it. i guess if you have millions of dollars you could do it but i'm happy with what's been done so far. find a dr. who's done it a bunch of times (my doc has been doing subcision for at least 10 years). there are risks but i think a good doc can avoid them.

Yea I'm not expecting perfection. 50% improvement is huge to me just from one treatment. I want to have 3 treatments then have a filler done right after the 3rd treatment. I am hoping I can get 70%+ improvement from 3 subcisions + a Perlane filler. Did you experience any discoloring of the spots after the bruising went away?

nope. no discoloration after the brusing went away. my skin tone looks pretty good but i attribute that to retin-A. i actually saw my doctor again last week for a follow up and he told me that retin-A might be helpful during the healing process since it stimulates collagen production. i'm going for a second treatment in january or february but my tells me that my skin looks a lot smoother already and i can see that it is slowly getting better so don't expect fantastic results overnight. there is only one scar that was completely gone immemdiately...the rest are slowly raising up and there are some that don't look like they've changed at all. let me know if i can answer other questions for you. BTW my doc is in denver. i can give the info for those who wanted to know. oh, and that lump i mentioned in the last post...i noticed that it's starting to go away. :dance:

Edited by num451

nope. no discoloration after the brusing went away. my skin tone looks pretty good but i attribute that to retin-A. i actually saw my doctor again last week for a follow up and he told me that retin-A might be helpful during the healing process since it stimulates collagen production. i'm going for a second treatment in january or february but my tells me that my skin looks a lot smoother already and i can see that it is slowly getting better so don't expect fantastic results overnight. there is only one scar that was completely gone immemdiately...the rest are slowly raising up and there are some that don't look like they've changed at all. let me know if i can answer other questions for you. BTW my doc is in denver. i can give the info for those who wanted to know. oh, and that lump i mentioned in the last post...i noticed that it's starting to go away. :dance:

Nice! I love hearing success stories here.. How many scars did you get treated? Did you get any new scars that you believe was caused by subcision? I am going to my derm this Friday to get a rx for Retin-A. I won't have subcision done till the end of this year, which will be with a different derm. He does saline subcision and has 5 years of experience. Subcision sounds very promising, especially for the scars I have.

Oh yea, and do you discourage me from getting my smaller, more shallow scars treated? My main concerns are my deeper, wider rolling scars but if I can get my more shallow scars treated as well, it will be a big bonus for me.

Thanks for your help

4) personally i would go for as few as possible. they use massive amounts of lidocaine for a full face. and i felt very dizzy

I don't think I would need any lidocaine. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain.

I would really like to get as many scars treated with subcision, however, because I don't afford much downtime with my schedule. So I might as well try to fix as many of them as I could. I was aiming for maybe 20 scars. A few of them are deep, but most of them are very shallow.

Nice! I love hearing success stories here.. How many scars did you get treated? Did you get any new scars that you believe was caused by subcision? I am going to my derm this Friday to get a rx for Retin-A. I won't have subcision done till the end of this year, which will be with a different derm. He does saline subcision and has 5 years of experience. Subcision sounds very promising, especially for the scars I have.

Oh yea, and do you discourage me from getting my smaller, more shallow scars treated? My main concerns are my deeper, wider rolling scars but if I can get my more shallow scars treated as well, it will be a big bonus for me.

Thanks for your help

What is saline subcision?

well, my derm charges $500 for 30 minutes worth of treatment but in that time was able to subcise about 80-90% of them. he really didn't subcise them based on how big or small they were, he outlined them all with a marker and then went for the big ones first, then the smaller ones. it did get messy (according to my wife) which i why, i think, that he wasn't able to see all of them. also, my swelled during the procedure thus "hiding" some of the smaller ones. but i am VERY pleased with the results and i've made another appointment in february for a second round. send me a message if you need any more info, i'm glad to share it!!

oh yeah, another thing...i did get one small scar from the treatment itself. if you're like me you "know" every scar that you have intimately and this one was not there before. however, it has started to fade and i think that if continue the retin-a (to promote new collagen growth) it will disappear. it's not big but i noticed it...i'm convinced that it will fade completely though.

Edited by num451

1. Expect total social downtime to up to two weeks if you have subcision for the first time and experience bad bruising. You can cover up the bruising but it is still there.

2. This would be a good question to ask your doctor in order to check how experienced your doctor is. :-) Please let us know what he tells you.

What kind of filler do you have on what type of scars and what is your improvement from the filler?

3. Yes, absolutely, you need the best doctor you can find for this procedure.

4. Yes, treat the max number of scars possible at once. Usually, you need multiple treatments per scar.

5. After one subcision I noticed a improvement between 20% and 70%.

6. I would say the risk relates to the experience of the doctor.

I heard that lumps are the most common side effect of subcision:

• How many of you did get (soft) lumps after the subcision?
  • Did the lumps heal by itself or did any of those got hard and stayed permanently?

i got two lumps, one on either cheek. one went away within a month, the other didn't and my doctor treated it with ultrasound to break it up. after he did that it started to go down. it's almost gone now though. my doc said it was because of blood pooling in the cavity left by subcision and they usually go away but total healing time will be 4-6 months and it's only been a month and a half.