Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dingleberry

should i be looking for an alternative?

i've suffered with acne since the age of 13. i'm 23 years old now and i'm still suffering from moderate acne and my nose gets oily after every 1-2hrs or so. i've used all kinds of dermatologist recommended products and even proactiv. proactiv was just enough to control my breakouts but nothing special. i used it for about 3 years and afterwards i decided to look for a better alternative. so i went to the dermatologist. he recommended me a products but apparently, i was allergic to it and my face broke out like crazy. i seriously looked like i had skin disease... so in act of desperation, the dermatologist prescribed me accutane. but about half way through, i quit because of the side effects. i went back to proactiv and after a few months i was back to moderate level acne. i then found out about dan's regime. i gave it a shot and in the beginning, my face was really red and stuff. i stuck with it though. so far, it has been really good in controlling my break outs but it hasn't been healing my face. my face is still kind of red and after i use the BP, my nose looks really wet and oily. i usually skip the moisturizer because my face is oily enough and the BP doesn't dry out my face. the cleanser dries up my face though unelss i use BP. anyways, this is what i use:

Morning: Dans cleanser, dan's BP. and i take an aloe vera pil after breakfast.

Dinner: same as morning.

i also drink loads of water and dont' eat junk food or anything.

anyways, should i try looking for an alternative? any suggestions or recommendations would be highly appreciated :) THANKS A LOT!!

From the reading that I have done on this forum, it seems like moisturizing is a must! Even with oily skin. Your skin should produce less oil if it is being properly hydrated with moisturizer. I am no expert, but this is the first thing that popped into my mind while reading your post.

In all these 10 years you've been fighting acne, ever tried accutane?

From the OP's post:

so in act of desperation, the dermatologist prescribed me accutane. but about half way through, i quit because of the side effects.

Sorry, I didn't catch that... I was skimming through the post.

What dosage did he give you? What were the side effects?