Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anybody had any experience with Max FX for acne scarring? I've been dealing with acne scarring since my teenage years, and this is the year I've finally had enough.. The PS that i went to see who happens to be asian as well recommended max FX for me but I've heard all thesee horror stories about full on CO2 and i'm very weary. he assured me that it was going to be ok but i'm a little nervous since i was thinking of just doing the total FX. I have seen some pretty dramatic results from the Max FX pictures but at the same time... those were on fairer skinned folks. also, he said the down time would be about a week but i heard traditional CO2 lasers tend to have down times closer to a month... can anybody answer to this? please let me know soon! THANKS!!!

and yes.. i've done a lot of research on these lasers but i a haven't heard much about the Max FX.

Read and understand the link above before you do anything. DeepFX and Fraxel Re:pair are comparable technologies. If you are Asian you have special concerns when choosing laser treatments.

Hey Dudley, thanks for the info, but I don't think DeepFX and Fraxel repair are comparable because those are both fractional CO2 lasers where as the Max FX is a solid beam CO2, like traditional CO2. does anybody here have experience tied to the traditional CO2 resurfacing?

TestyTest, my bad, I didn't realize they were calling their regular CO2 Max FX. As you can tell from my signature I have also had CO2, and unless you have a very superficial issue it is useless. The short answer is that it does not work for acne scars. Here is an excellent link that explains the difference in detail, http://www.zimbio.com/Boston+Medical+Spa/a...+Lumenis+Bridge

Edited by DudleyDoRight

That is interesting, because FX stands for "fractional" typically. I have had the regular CO2 full face laser and I do NOT recommend it to ANYONE! That was 12 yrs ago, and I recently had Fractional CO2 and saw much better results with less downtime, less pain and less recovery time. I also experienced hypopigmentation from the full CO2 laser, which you are also at risk for with asian skin.

I would do more research and consult with a PS who does Fractional CO2 with the Matrix or Mixto machines!

thanks for all the info guys. I am really at a loss now as to what to do. I think i should talk to the PS some more about it... i'm pretty sure im just going to start with excisions instead since i have pretty severe scarring. he does have the Active and deep FX laser but he had told me that it wasn't going to do much for my scarring. i am a lil confused though, because why would the laser not penetrate as deep with just the traditional co2 vs the active fx and deep fx according to the graph? its the exact same laser just with a different hand piece, so i don't see why the laser wouldn't go as deep. (max fx vs, total fx), one being fractional and one not.

TestyTest, I am no technician, but I would imagine if you set the regular CO2 to the same depth as fractional that you wouldn't have any skin left. Did you take a good look at that link from BostonMedical, it explains the process quite good. You may also want to do some reading on the forums at RealSelf.com This link is about CO2 vs Repair, but as I said before, Repair and Deep FX are compairable technologies.

http://www.realself.com/question/differenc...d-fraxel-repair

Edited by DudleyDoRight

TestyTest, I am no technician, but I would imagine if you set the regular CO2 to the same depth as fractional that you wouldn't have any skin left. Did you take a good look at that link from BostonMedical, it explains the process quite good. You may also want to do some reading on the forums at RealSelf.com This link is about CO2 vs Repair, but as I said before, Repair and Deep FX are compairable technologies.

Thanks for the info dudley.. I have actually been lurking on real self for quite a while as well. The PS thinks that Max Fx is still the best option after i get my excisions. He thinks that by using the traditional co2 will go deep enough to take care of all of my acne scars after the excisions.. which I'm not too sure of because to me, the scars look pretty deep but then again I'm no doctor.. so now its just whether i want to go with that or go with the Total FX. I'm scheduled to have my excisions next Thursday, and I honestly can't wait.. i've been waiting too long to do this.

Hey Dudley.. how many passes of he Traditional CO2 did your doctor do on you? and also.. it didn't work at all? it seems like since it melts off your whole superficial layer of skin it should work? unless your scars are much deeper than the superficial layer?

Testy, I would compare this to sanding a piece of wood with dents in it. Chances are you will never sand the wood down to the depth of the indents. I think Dermabrasion and Regular CO2 work up to their depth of penetration. Fractionalized CO2 is not perfect, it is expensive, and it takes a long time and multiple treatments to work. My CO2 was done way back in 96 so I don't remember the number of passes. Have you fully examined the implications for Asian skin types? I know I have seen a lot of problems with hyperpigmentation

Testy, I would compare this to sanding a piece of wood with dents in it. Chances are you will never sand the wood down to the depth of the indents. I think Dermabrasion and Regular CO2 work up to their depth of penetration. Fractionalized CO2 is not perfect, it is expensive, and it takes a long time and multiple treatments to work. My CO2 was done way back in 96 so I don't remember the number of passes. Have you fully examined the implications for Asian skin types? I know I have heard of a lot of problems with hyperpigmentation and Asains, but I didn't pay much attention because I am not Asain

Testy, I would compare this to sanding a piece of wood with dents in it. Chances are you will never sand the wood down to the depth of the indents. I think Dermabrasion and Regular CO2 work up to their depth of penetration. Fractionalized CO2 is not perfect, it is expensive, and it takes a long time and multiple treatments to work. My CO2 was done way back in 96 so I don't remember the number of passes. Have you fully examined the implications for Asian skin types? I know I have heard of a lot of problems with hyperpigmentation and Asains, but I didn't pay much attention because I am not Asian

thanks for the advice... what about depending on the types of scar? rolling or box car? i know its probably not going to do anything for Icepicks but I would figure for the other two it should?

Testy, I have not heard of good results with icepick and Re:pair. With the other kinds I would guess it all depends on the depth of the scar. I just want you to be very careful with any type of laser because of the questions about hyperpigmentation.