Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FlawdaBoy

Do you think my pillow could be causing my acne?

I'm 22 and I've had moderate acne for 5-6 years. It comes and goes in severity, but it's never gone away completely and has resulted in some icepick scarring on my face.

I read today that changing your pillow case nightly might be the solution, because if you don't you are sleeping in oil, germs, and hair.

Now that I think about, my acne is almost exclusively on my cheeks and sides of my face, which are in contact with my pillow because I usually sleep on my side. My left side is worse too, so I might favor that side when I sleep. I almost never get acne on my forehead, chin, or nose, and I never sleep face down (if I did I would die, lol).

What do you think, causal link? I'm gonna try it, because even Dan's regimen isn't doing it for me

If that is true then 7 billions of people would have acne by now

That's a common misconception. Not everyone gets acne, look around: how many people can eat whatever they want, drink whatever they want, basically do whatever they want and the never get a single zit? For the people that do have acne the trick is to find out what's causing it (so many people, so many causes). I heard before that people change pillow cases on a regular basis to see if it helps preventing breakouts. I guess it's worth a try, at least it won't make things worse if it's not working.

I understand what you mean but this is getting too far

How often do you change your pillow case? Do you keep it in an area with a lot of germs, bacteria, fungus, full of dogs, cats and insects?...

How often do you change your pillow case? Do you keep it in an area with a lot of germs, bacteria, fungus, full of dogs, cats and insects?...

:) I don't think anyone does. But the oil, bacteria etc. are on your skin, they build up on your pillow case and you sleep in them every night. Changing it certainly won't hurt and -like I said- there's more people doing just that and they say it helps. So why not try it? Check out this link

:) I don't think anyone does. But the oil, bacteria etc. are on your skin, they build up on your pillow case and you sleep in them every night. Changing it certainly won't hurt and -like I said- there's more people doing just that and they say it helps. So why not try it? Check out this link

Are you saying that before going to sleep you don't wash your face? Those things can't be there if you wash your face!

Are you saying that before going to sleep you don't wash your face? Those things can't be there if you wash your face!

1. Check out the link

2. Come back and ask questions if you still have them

1. Check out the link

I checked it and laughed

Acne caused by a pillowcase

Yes if you live in a pigsty

I checked it and laughed

Ha, yeah, well, I yet have to see the first pigsty where they use pillowcases. They would have to change them daily to prevent the pigs from getting acne ;) Anyway, you can't possibly have read the stories in just a couple of minutes. It's working, the argumentation is sound, it's no mumbo jumbo. If you think it's not working, that's fine. But the majority finds it does. Or do you think that you can wash off 100% of the oil and bacteria from your skin and hair? And that after that your skin stops producing oil and bacteria also go to sleep at night? Not to mention the millions of bugs that live in your bed. I don't believe that pillowcases are the root cause, but if changing them helps to prevent aggravating acne, then it's a pretty simple step to take.

1. Check out the link

I checked it and laughed

:lol:

I checked it and laughed

Ha, yeah, well, I yet have to see the first pigsty where they use pillowcases. They would have to change them daily to prevent the pigs from getting acne ;) Anyway, you can't possibly have read the stories in just a couple of minutes. It's working, the argumentation is sound, it's no mumbo jumbo. If you think it's not working, that's fine. But the majority finds it does. Or do you think that you can wash off 100% of the oil and bacteria from your skin and hair? And that after that your skin stops producing oil and bacteria also go to sleep at night? Not to mention the millions of bugs that live in your bed. I don't believe that pillowcases are the root cause, but if changing them helps to prevent aggravating acne, then it's a pretty simple step to take.

I was just kidding but if it works for you then I'm glad you found one of the causes of your acne because it's hard to find them sometimes

My mom changes the pw every 2/3 days so it's not like i'm dirty or something, but I just can't help but think at the other billions of people ok

Have a good day

I was just kidding but if it works for you then I'm glad you found one of the causes of your acne because it's hard to find them sometimes

My mom changes the pw every 2/3 days so it's not like i'm dirty or something, but I just can't help but think at the other billions of people ok

Have a good day

Oh, but I don't change pillowcases like every day or even every 2 or 3 days, I cleared up most by eating healthier. You have a good day too!

I don't change my pillow case every day, but I change it weekly. Also, some laundrey deterget fragrences and fabric softener will irritate my skin. I use All Free Clear laundry detergent and use a dryer sheet instead of fabric softener. Hope this helps!

I change my pillow case every 2 days and also wash with All Free Clear laundry detergent, but with no fabric sofener or anything else :) It seems to help

haha I'm lame and usually sleep in the same place so I'll turn my pillow after a night and the next night I'll flip it haha.... I have super duper long hair so I've found that if I put it into a bun thing at night, it doesn't touch my face and give me pimples. So even if you wash your face at night, your hair touches the pillow and next time you put your head there, you get the oil on it.

Also, someone told me to use a seperate towel to dry my face on after I shower or wash my face and that's helped a lot. I always have to wrap my hair up in the towel so I realized I was getting hair oil on my face that way haha...sounds dumb but it works for me =D

I've ignored all the responses above because the first few didn't seem to be great.

Do you think my pillow could be causing my acne?

No. Not at all. It's not causing you acne. I think this is what some people were eluding to, but they did a very poor job of explaining it.

Acne, as many should be aware, is caused by the over-activity of glands on your skin. Testosterone triggers the sebaceous glands to produce excess sebum in people prone to acne. Why are people prone to acne? We don't really know.

Could your skin be getting worse because of your pillowcase?

Yes, yes it could. If you sweat a lot in bed, and you don't change your pillowcase at least once a month, then it could definitely be making it worse.

It has made no difference to me whether I change my pillowcase every month or once a day, but everyone is different.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

—Ed.

Edited by Simplified