Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
catpower

Elimination Diets

Two months ago I eliminated dairy from my diet and I am quite sure it has contributed to my acne clearing up almost to 100%, which I am very happy about. However I have made a number of lifestyle and eating changes simeaultaneously that take time to show their effects and now I would like to reintroduce dairy just to see and know for certain if it does have a negative effect on my skin. So I can stop being so paranoid about it. I know I will never eat as much dairy as I used to but I would like to occasionally (say 2 -3 times a week) enjoy a slice of cheese or bowl of yogurt. Mostly I am really scared of introducing dairy again because I dont want my stupid acne back, but I think it is better to test and then know for sure. And actually I just realized the soup I just ate for lunch at my parent-in-laws house had quite alot of cream cheese in it, so I guess the experiment has started already before I could get any advice, but anyways...

... my question is what the best way to introduce dairy back into my diet is? (This could apply for other foods that people have eliminated also) Should I start with a very small amount at one time and then wait for a few days to see any effects? Or should I eat alot of dairy within a small time frame? Should I restrict it to just one type of dairy (say just yogurt) and see if that effects me and then try another type of dairy (say cheese) to see if the effects are different?

Speaking of dairy, it is quite confusing and I have to say I havent done all research I would like to about dairy and acne. But can anyone tell me if different dairy are said to effect acne to different extents?? ( I know of course this will vary by individual.) Does anyone know the common theories on why exactly it is that dairy has such a significant effect of acne? Is it just the hormones, or is it the sugar content, or an inability to digest lactose, or what!? Does anyone know about the GL of dairy products, are they generally low GI or high? How does the body /insulin production react to lactose in comparison to other sugars types? Does the high fat content in dairy effect this? Is it better to eat high fat or low fat yogurt when it is concerning GI and sugar conversion?

Ahh, I realize I have a million questions and the more I think about it the more questions I have. All this holistic healing business is damn complicated.

Any insight into any of these questions would be gratefully accepted!

Thanks everyone (for making it to the end of this post) and good luck

Sorry I can't answer all of your questions but in the book, "Your Body is Your Best Doctor" by Melvin E. Page he is generally against dairy. But he is not against the "by-products" of dairy like the cream because he views it as a fat. I don't remember exactly what he says and will have to look around for the book but basically I know he says that cream and butter are ok. So if you like milk just add a little water to the cream to make it thinner. Of course I would only recommend grass-fed, hormone free cream and butter. So I haven't eliminated dairy yet but I think I'm going to start but continue drinking cream and eating butter.

Acne and dairy link could be caused by many different effects, but it changes from person to person. From what I have read, it could be:

1) Inability to digest it

2) Insulin spikes

3) Hormones in milk (even hormone-free milk has natural cow hormones which we have receptors in the gut for, try goat milk).

I hope the experiment works for you.

Speaking of dairy, it is quite confusing and I have to say I havent done all research I would like to about dairy and acne. But can anyone tell me if different dairy are said to effect acne to different extents?? ( I know of course this will vary by individual.) Does anyone know the common theories on why exactly it is that dairy has such a significant effect of acne? Is it just the hormones, or is it the sugar content, or an inability to digest lactose, or what!? Does anyone know about the GL of dairy products, are they generally low GI or high? How does the body /insulin production react to lactose in comparison to other sugars types? Does the high fat content in dairy effect this? Is it better to eat high fat or low fat yogurt when it is concerning GI and sugar conversion?

It depends on the reasons dairy is having an impact on your acne. If you are lactose intolerant, then yogurts and cheeses will have less of an impact. If you are allergic, you may be less allergic to goat milk and dairy. Either way, dairy does contain IFG-1 which does affect how your skin cells exfoliate which means it will still have some effect on acne. Fat lowers glycemic impact, therefore it is better to have full fat dairy.

I would add dairy in gradually and start with dairy that is less likely to cause a problem and that has added benefit like live cultured yogurt or kefir.