Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sowet

My Time Has Come

I will not post my entire history here as i've done so on numerous other threads.

First time ever using topical tretinoinds.

My Regime:

-Night Time: Apply a thin layer of RAM 0.04% over entire face.

Wait for it to dry. Then Apply Complex 15 moisturizer

Question: Will the complex 15 be enough? I've used it before and maybe its not as moisturizing as i'd like.... anyone recommend anything else?

-Morning Time: Was face with Dan's cleanser.

That's it.... My face is already dry and irritable from stupid overdoses on B5 and Vitamin A.......

My skin Type: (used to be HELLA OILY) now... I dont even know how to describe it, but I get a couple whiteheads a day and they are usually small and not inflamed.

Reason for my acne that I have realized after years: Stress/Anxiety.

I've gone from face full of acne to completely clear.... one week were I literally said Everything causes acne, do what you want, and I had no stress for that week.... didn't last too long because its very hard to be so strong like that.

Question: I have these rosacea like marks on the bridges of my nose under my eyes.... and Complex 15 doesn't do squat..... but vaseline usually helps.... should I apply RAM there... or will it make it x10 worse? its really red and raw... and i've had it on and off for months now...

Wish me Luck.... Im not sure how often im going to update, but tonight will be my first night!!! WISH ME LUCK!!!!

Well last night I re-assessed my complexion and decided not to start RAM yet. Instead I am going to try and apply some moisturizer to see if that helps.

I read an interesting article yesterday about how men usually have younger looking skin because shaving is a very good way to exfoliate. I notice that when I trim instead of shave I always get dead skin build up and stuff. So before I get on RAM I am going to experiment with shaving with a blade twice a week and moisturizing. If this doesn't work then I can give RAM a try.

What do you guys think about the whole shaving vs. RAM thing??? I notice that after shaving with a razor my face gets all raw... and thats something many people describe while using RAM....

What do you guys think about the whole shaving vs. RAM thing??? I notice that after shaving with a razor my face gets all raw... and thats something many people describe while using RAM....

Welllll.... retin-a is a strong exfoliant, so especially at first, it can cause people to have red/raw/irritated skin... though that can often be avoided (at least mostly) if you start off slowly, and ease into more frequent use......

Any type of exfoliation has the potential to leave you with raw and irritated skin, really...

But anyway, how's your skin doing?

Thanks for the reply and inquiry Comfycat. You know the other day I remembered that along with my RAM I was also given Noritate. I haven't used either yet but I decided to give Noritate a try since I figured these red areas could be rosacea. I have been telling myself forever that what I have is not acne..... and I think I am going somewhere with that. The noritate is a white cream so when I apply it, it leaves a small amount of white residue. Now-

It is helping with my red areas that are near my upper cheeks and under eye(by the bridge of my nose), so that makes me very happy. I've been using noritate for 3 nights now. My forehead has randomly broken out with these whiteheads that are under the skin.... but that is probably because my forehead has been very dry since ive now been washing my face at night to apply the noritate cream.

I never thought i'd say this but now that the winter is approaching; WHERE IS MY SEBUM????

I swear for like the last four years of my life i've been crying and complaining about all this nasty sebum oil...... and now...... I kinda wish I had more lol. I still get a good amount on my nose and forehead... but nothing compared to what it used to be. I find myself having too moisturize..... which I don't really like doing.

I seem to have entered a different stage with my acne... one that I am not too happy about because I am now 19 and I have been struggling with this problem for four years. I can tell that a big part of my current acne is self-inflicted due to my foolish abuse of Pantothenic acid and Vitamin A.

My hair has suffered because of this but that is another story.

Sorry Comfy I know you really didn't need to know all this lol. Thanks for asking though, I enjoy sharing :)

Regarding RAM.....I will wait and see a little longer how I do with the noritate, shaving, and moisturizing.

How you doing?!

Edited by sowet

I am really contemplating starting RAM tonight..... following the application with a moisturizer.... and then alternative each day between RAM 0.04% and Noritate......

urgh... so unsure about RAM......My skin isn't THAT bad..... so im scared to mess things up... especially because I met this girl recently.........Although I can also see a good side where my face would go from decent(acne-wise) to perfect..... argh argh argh

lol I know this has been asked 10000000 times... but if your acne isnt THAT bad to start with... like 0 cystic pimples... and a few semi-inflamed whiteheads..... will the IB be that bad?????

Oh and what's the deal with the sun.... I know im supposed to stay out of it....but is my face going to be that sensitive to it??? I love the sun

Edited by sowet

Hey there...

I currently have a RAM .01% log on here, if you wanna check out day by day results.

I mostly had my IB at weeks 3 and 6 if I can remember right. Honestly, they suck, but not THAT bad. Ha... Of course at the time it feels like the world is crumbling, but looking back there were positives like a) it always healed faster b) it's a milestone :) c) for me anyway, it wasn't any worse than a normal breakout. (I was on Differin before although I'm not sure if this made a difference or not.)

If you're not comfortable with the bad side effects of RAM... take it slow. For me, it wasn't really about a routine, but what my skin could HANDLE. Some weeks I'd only use it 3/week because my skin was peeling and I felt like it was sufficient enough until I worked my way up.

About the sun: I'm pretty dark complected and tan really easily (rarely burn.) There was one time where I got burned REALLY badly even with sunscreen but there were other times where I was in the sun for hours and just tanned. It was pretty random for me, and I still haven't quite figured out if RAM makes me sensitive to the sun or not.

Anyway, not sure if this info helped or not... but whatever you decide... good luck!

I am really contemplating starting RAM tonight..... following the application with a moisturizer.... and then alternative each day between RAM 0.04% and Noritate......

urgh... so unsure about RAM......My skin isn't THAT bad..... so im scared to mess things up... especially because I met this girl recently.........Although I can also see a good side where my face would go from decent(acne-wise) to perfect..... argh argh argh

lol I know this has been asked 10000000 times... but if your acne isnt THAT bad to start with... like 0 cystic pimples... and a few semi-inflamed whiteheads..... will the IB be that bad?????

Oh and what's the deal with the sun.... I know im supposed to stay out of it....but is my face going to be that sensitive to it??? I love the sun

Well..... RAM basically causes rapid exfoliation within the sebaceous follicle... this is great since it helps prevent/ correct the hyperkeratinization that leads to all types of acne lesions, but this also means that anything brewing, even the stuff under the surface that you can't yet see, will be brought to the surface.

The RAM won't create anything that's not already there, but because it speeds things up significantly, you'll pretty much be getting about 10+ months of acne in about three months... so even if have pretty mild acne, things can get pretty rough over those first 3-4 months. RAM helps with red marks, which is pretty helpful after the IB...

If you do start the RAM, your really have to be willing to stick with it...

It sounds like your acne is pretty mild, though... have you tried any other topicals in the past? Things like benzoyl peroxide can be effective, with less stress than retinoids... even though retinoinds are usually the first thing derms throw at you, you might want to try something like Duac (combo of BP/ antibiotic) if you haven't before...

Before starting tretinoin, I had pretty mild acne (mostly non-inflamed, with the occasional inflamed pimple or two before my period.....), but nothing short of the 0.1% RAM has ever been able to put much of a dent in it... so I definitely can sympathize if you have stubborn acne. I mostly just wanted to improve my skin tone when I started with the tretinoin, since the non-inflamed stuff prevented me from having nice, smooth skin....... it wasn't all that noticeable, really... but now I'm pretty much dealing with moderate acne because of my IB (which is new for me). I knew it would happen, though, and I don't really mind the IB... I'm just glad my skin is responding, at least... in the past, topicals never reduced the amount of acne I had at all (the topicals I used the longest were various benzoyl peroxide formulas, like face washes, Duac, Benzaclin, and I also tried Ziana, and various AHA/BHA exfoliants...).

So basically, it seems like if you already have moderate acne, your IB probably isn't too much worse than a normal bad breakout... but if your acne is pretty mild, the IB seems worse, since you're going from the occasional pimple, to several per day..... so it really depends on if the (eventual) end result of clearer, smoother skin is worth the IB for you.

You can sometimes lessen the IB significantly by taking an oral antibiotic before starting the RAM (for a couple weeks/a month or so), then continuing it for a couple months in conjunction with the RAM before slowly discontinuing it.

You don't have to avoid the sun, but wear sunscreen if you go out at all... your face will be more sensitive to the sun (because of the chemical effects retinoids have on your skin, as well as their reaction to sunlight)... and red marks will darken, and thus take longer to fade, if you don't wear sunscreen. You'll also avoid the carcinogenic effects of sunlight that way :) (Just make sure to wear sunscreen on your neck and arms so that you don't get a weird tan lol)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Edited by theComfyCat

I will give you a more detail response later, but let me just say that my acne is kinda wierd....

Its usually whiteheads..... that pop themselves... they are usually not inflamed. Usually one or two a day... but my skin texture isn't that great. Some leftover red marks... and a few rosacea like areas... which noritate is helping very much with... Thank GOD!

Oh and I used BP for like a couple years...... I tried using it a couple months ago... BIG MISTAKE..... my skin is super sensitive... couldn't handle it at all. And it was only 2.5%

This past year i've only been using water in the shower... without touching my face.....

And usually nothing at night... but now that I use noritate I wash at night... not everynight though.... the noritate got slighly drying after 3 nights of use... so I washed and moisturized instead... which was a smart choice because this morning my skin woke up looking and feeling great with basically no pimples :)

Edited by sowet