Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BFCalumni26

Retin A and uncertainty

This is probably more of a vent but those of you who have been in the topical retinoids section for the last several months have seen my retinoid updates. Since the beginning of June, I was using Tazorac and completed 16-18 weeks of the medication. I must say that it was hell but at least it was summer and pretty much became an introvert. I would have breakout and more breakout but what kept me going week after week was that I was sold that if I completed the 12+ weeks, that I would see great results. When week 16 came around, I became more and more dissappointed. Just 10 days ago, I switched to Retin A Micro .1 gel. I wish I had great news to report but things are the opposite. I was hoping that the immediate switch of a retinoid to another retinoid would save me the whole "IB" and all the hell moments that I had in the summer. My breakouts feel and look worse than when I was on Tazorac. I really dont know what to say.

This is probably more of a vent but those of you who have been in the topical retinoids section for the last several months have seen my retinoid updates. Since the beginning of June, I was using Tazorac and completed 16-18 weeks of the medication. I must say that it was hell but at least it was summer and pretty much became an introvert. I would have breakout and more breakout but what kept me going week after week was that I was sold that if I completed the 12+ weeks, that I would see great results. When week 16 came around, I became more and more dissappointed. Just 10 days ago, I switched to Retin A Micro .1 gel. I wish I had great news to report but things are the opposite. I was hoping that the immediate switch of a retinoid to another retinoid would save me the whole "IB" and all the hell moments that I had in the summer. My breakouts feel and look worse than when I was on Tazorac. I really dont know what to say.

Switching does seem to cause a second IB... what % of taz were you using? Sounds like you've had a pretty rough time :(

Are you using any other topicals or systemic medications?

Hey Comfycat,

I was using Taz .1% gel. Yeah, I'm definitely having a rough time with this. I'm also on Doxycycline hyclate 100mg 2/day.

Guest Rocky666

Try Benzaclin, it's not nearly as harsh on your skin as Tazorac and you get results in as little as 2 weeks with a maximum of about 2 months, if you use it 2x a time, with full results.

been there and used it. I was on Benzamycin before going on to Benzaclin. Benzamycin worked for a while then it just stopped working. Benzaclin, from the beginning, did not work.

O wow you've tried 'em all, well i've been on RetinA for a while (not consistently though) and it's helped a bunch, my skin's not perfect but i'm not hiding in my apartment either...stay with it I know the IB is hard but you can get through it. Do you use any AHA and/or BHA?

Yes, I do have AHA. I have the neutrogena lotion with AHA in it, however, I dont use it because my skin is really sensitive right now. I just started using this sulfur topical that my dermatologist prescribed along with my Retin A Micro. I swim for an hour in the morning before going to school and the chlorine is really drying my skin out. My regimen before included me washing the Retin A micro off before I went into the pool but now I just get up and go straight to the pool. Then I wash my face and put that sulfur topical on before going to school. When I put that sulfur stuff on, it immediately starts burning my face but it stops stinging about 5-10 mins after applying. Right now, I dont think I can fit the AHA/BHA into the regimen. On the other hand, my face wash has 2% salicyclic acid in it. I think BHA is salicyclic acid so I guess i'm already using BHA.

O I would try to wash retinA off with a very mild soap like J&J head to toe baby wash, then again after pool just to wash off all the different chemicals it only takes like a few seconds and maybe just apply the sulfur topical every other day for now. How does you face feel and look during the day with the sulfur topical every day?