Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dire Wolfy

Please help this n00b with home dermarolling..!

Guys,I really really need your help. I'm a 28 yr.old guy.I've moderate scars all over my cheeks with a combination of icepicks and rolling scars. I've been going to a cosmetologist for derma rolling and pixel laser treatment for the last 3 months. However, i've gotten the rolling done only once and had 2 sessions of pixel laser.

I do see some improvement, but not to the point to say that i'm satisfied with the results. Theres a lot more that needs to be done. Only thing is, i want to save on the rolling fees,and try doing it myself at home. I've seen her(my doc's) procedure, and i'm pretty confident that i can do it myself at home.

Now the real problem : I'm gonna meet my fiancee in december. She is currently in another city. And i terribly want to look better when i meet her. Its absolutely killing me..i just want to look better. :( So please help me out.

Few things i need your suggestions on :

1) What needle size should i begin with? 1.5 or 2.0? I have some deep icepicks too. :( (My doc uses Prilox anaesthetic cream for numbing the area of rolling. I'll use the same at home.)

2) Is there any serum/cream you'd recommend for faster healing. I have like 2.5 months. :(

3) How long to wait between 2 rolling sessions? (at the least..)

4) Any areas to avoid on the face? I mean, i'm kinda scared about puncturing some veins n all.

5) Can i do mild rolling everyday with say a .25 mm roller in between the more penetrative 1.5/2.0 mm rolling? Will it help speed up the scar healing?

Please,please help me out. My life kinda depends on your suggestions. I just love her like crazy and cannot imagine living without her. She doesnt really care about the scars, but its just that i wanna surprise her.I wanna give her what she may've ever dreamt of, about me.

Thanks in advance. Really looking forward to your replies. :)

Edited by Dire Wolfy

Hi,

I know that you're in a desperate situation right now, but in reality people usually do not see vast improvements from dermarolling until many months later. With that said, you've got 2.5 months, and you should only be able to fit 2 rolling sessions AT THE MOST within that time frame, if you don't want to impede the collagen production, less is more, unless you want to keep your skin perpetually swelled, which looks fine in the short term, but is very bad in the long run.

1. Depending on the depth of your scars, you could do 2 mm, but do not roll with this over areas like temples, and I'm not too sure about the forehead. My guess is that these areas are just to thin for something like the 2mm (it would be overkill). You might want to look into individual needling for some of your deeper scars. Like, do that and then dermaroll on top of them. I think Lammar goes into more depth about this in his thread Ok guys...

2. Keep it simple, vit C serum, or a combo of C and A, or retinoid. You need to look at sample regimens in other threads that people talk about, and their personal experiences with topicals.

3. Like I said, I think you can only do 2 at the most within your timeframe right now. But they recommend no more than once every 4-6 weeks or longer.

4. You should be fine, but thinner areas such as forehead and especially temples, around eyes, etc, be careful there with no going too deep with certain needle lengths.

5. I wouldn't do this. Some people do, but I think that collagen is just so fragile that when you frequently roll even mildly, it can disrupt any of the positive progress you've accumulated so far. But you need to do your own research about this too...

I'm no master, I've done 5 dermarolls so far. I'll share with you how I've done it. The results I've seen are much much better than when I did fraxel or pixel (5 of each for nothing, thousands of dollars in retarded doctors pockets)

-I did my rolls with a 1.5mm, and I have a .5mm I use occasionally in between

-I never use numbing cream but if you got it, use it. My eyes tear up every time and I go as rough as possible, and I do it more over each area than is probobly recomended, my face is covered in blood when I'm done, it's definitely torture but I just endure it, it's not as bad as any of the laser treatments I've had.

-Most people here are spending much more money on after-use topicals than me, some spending hundreds... I'm not sure if they are working out better for them than what I use, but what I use has given me great results and cheap so I stick with it. After I roll and sometimes every day, I'll first take a a piece of core from a pineapple or cut a small piece of kiwi and I just rub it all over my face for several minutes. Both are packed with Vitamin C in it's natural raw living form, both have acids that can supposedly digest proteins and scar tissue, and kiwi has ala. I let it sit for an hour and then I rub in pure organic aloe vera gelly which has vitamins a, c, e, and other soothing compounds which help form collagen. The aloe vera, bottle was 5 bucks and and the fruits are really cheap as well. Possibly not asconcentrated as other topicals, but i've already spent 10k+ on topicals/lasers and it was a complete waste, not overpaying for anything again.

After my first roll I waited 2 weeks and did it again. I wanted to be sure that I got more overall coverage to get things started rather than worrying about collagen building completely in only the limited areas where the needles went in the first time, this seemed to work well for me. After those 2, I dermarolled every 4-6 weeks after depending on when was most convienant to look like a trainwreck for a week.

A couple times in between I use a .5mm and I get vicious with it all over since the needles are so small, no blood from this just redness for a day, and I use my fruits/aloe after that.

-Most people here are spending much more money on after-use topicals than me, some spending hundreds... I'm not sure if they are working out better for them than what I use, but what I use has given me great results and cheap so I stick with it. After I roll and sometimes every day, I'll first take a a piece of core from a pineapple or cut a small piece of kiwi and I just rub it all over my face for several minutes. Both are packed with Vitamin C in it's natural raw living form, both have acids that can supposedly digest proteins and scar tissue, and kiwi has ala. I let it sit for an hour and then I rub in pure organic aloe vera gelly which has vitamins a, c, e, and other soothing compounds which help form collagen. The aloe vera, bottle was 5 bucks and and the fruits are really cheap as well. Possibly not asconcentrated as other topicals, but i've already spent 10k+ on topicals/lasers and it was a complete waste, not overpaying for anything again.

Wow, this is really interesting to me. I've never thought of actually using like real, raw food on my face in conjunction with needling. But somehow that makes sense, probably much better than all the synthetic crap that is supposedly superior. It's worth a try and I think I might experiment with this myself.

Thanks a lot, Smoothmove and illusion..you guys have been life savers for me. :)

With that said, you've got 2.5 months, and you should only be able to fit 2 rolling sessions AT THE MOST within that time frame, if you don't want to impede the collagen production, less is more, unless you want to keep your skin perpetually swelled, which looks fine in the short term, but is very bad in the long run.

@Illusion :

I'm no master, I've done 5 dermarolls so far. I'll share with you how I've done it. The results I've seen are much much better than when I did fraxel or pixel (5 of each for nothing, thousands of dollars in retarded doctors pockets)

Hello to everyone in this thread..i'm interested in dermarolling too, could you all share with me what kinds of dermarollers you are using? (the brands) Also, how often do you have to replace a roller? Do you think six months is long enough to wait to start dermarolling after finishing a course of accutane?

No worries, Dire Wolfy.

What I meant by perpetual swelling was, day by day, week by week. Constant microswelling is not good according to doctors, because the swelling induced areas can cause damage within the dermis, though you may not see it immediately. You are more likely to cause constant swelling when you roll every day even with the tinier rollers. The smaller rollers are good for topical absorption, finer wrinkles. But these should be used infrequently too. I think some suggest no more than a few times a week, depending on the length. the .5 would be fine for the forehead.

On the other hand, swelling for one week at a time is just fine and expected after an intense roll.

2.5 month to see a VAST IMPROVEMENT my friend i would say its barely enough time.

but i will try and help you to the best of my knowledge cus i know exactly how u feel~

QUESTION :

1) What needle size should i begin with? 1.5 or 2.0? I have some deep icepicks too. (My doc uses Prilox anaesthetic cream for numbing the area of rolling. I'll use the same at home.)

2) Is there any serum/cream you'd recommend for faster healing. I have like 2.5 months.

3) How long to wait between 2 rolling sessions? (at the least..)

4) Any areas to avoid on the face? I mean, i'm kinda scared about puncturing some veins n all.

5) Can i do mild rolling everyday with say a .25 mm roller in between the more penetrative 1.5/2.0 mm rolling? Will it help speed up the scar healing?

ANSWER:

1) if you have alot of rolling scars/ icepick scars etc.. and want to see improvement the fastest way possible in the shortest time would be to skip the 1.5-2.0 and go straight for the 3.0mm roll which is the deepest roller available in the market. but obviously its gonna hurt and you are going to 100% need numbing cream along with it...

2) I would definitely recommend doing a external (cream, serum etc) and a internal regime ( supplements, vitamin etc ). its the most you could do for the treatment,,externally is basic...internally is obviously the next level stuff.

External: Vit A and C is good. the most potent vitamin C serum available is 30% vitamin C serum. theres one site that i know which sells this but due to advertisment etc i cant say the sitename but if youre interested let me know~

i would go for serum instead of cream, etc..simply because theyre active ingredients.

there also "EGF" which basically reparirs your skin at a higher rate and again, due to advertisment etc i cant say the sitename but if youre interested let me know~

. and there is "hyaluronic acid" lets your skin absorb liquid at a much higher rate ( its basically the main ingredient in botox which gives it a plumping effect )

i found this one site that sells 80% pure collagen serum and again if you're interested let me know

ps: everything is at a decent price except EGF....its very expensive...and the cost ranges depending on how potent the serum is containg egf..usually in a bottle of serum an average one would contain about 1%

Internal:

take 1000mg-2000mg vitamin C so you get repairing from the inside and the outside..,..there are tonnes for this..

Hyaluronic acid supplement..i would recommend the " doctors best hyaluronic acid because it contains collagen along with it...your skin needs vitamin C for Collagen production so i think that speaks for itself. =)

theres no egf supplement that im aware of.

drinks 10-15 cups of water...simply drink water every 1-2 till your stomach cant take it anymore.

3) they say about 6 weeks for skin remodelling but you have 2.5 weeks so thats about 2-3 sessions but i would 4-5 since you dont have much time and a more aggresive treatment would be needed.

4) dont worry about veins etc....but make sure you roll well on each session. and work each area horizontally, vertically and diagonally about 5-10roll each

5) and yes i think doing small rolls in between 2.0-2.5 rolls would be a more effective method.

keep in mind that after you do 2.0+ rolls..it takes about 4-5 days to settle down.

so i would do a deep roll. wait for 4-5 days then do shallow rolls on the 6,7,8,9,,10,11,12,13,14th day then do another deep roll etc.

make sure you use suncreem when you hit the sun. overproduction of vitamin D (melanin) due to sun exposure might cause hyperpigmentation

PS: if you have ice pick scars i would highly recommend "TCA CROSS METHOD" its basically putting 100% TCA directly into the scar and causing mass collagen production...look it up~its everyone on this site

from what i know youre suppose to use rollers for rolling scars. but anyways let me know if you have any questions

hope u found this useful and GOODLUCK =)=)

Dire Wolfy,

You said you had rolling done by a cosmotologist. I was curious what the mm

was, how aggressive was the "roll", and how long ago?

Dr. Fernandes did real one real aggressive 3mm roll, and that was it for most of

his patients in this study:

http://www.dermogenesis.com/clinical/clin_art.php?aid=151

I am unsure of the healing time for pixel lasers??? Maybe DudleyDoRight could help

you with that.

For 1.5 mm the wait time is 6 week minimum. (six to eight). For general protocol

perhaps read and re-read Dr. Fernandes (above) and in munsoned's thread in the

"Dermarolling Support Thread". Memick what he is doing, he one of the docs that

"invented" this. He's big on prepping the skin prior to rolling, vitamin A and vitamin

c topicals. LED"s arent mentioned in his info, but are really beneficial.

Just my impression that you are pressing too hard.

best wishes to all