Notifications
Clear all

purell or hand sanitizer

MemberMember
(@rosieposie)

Posted : 10/01/2009 4:31 pm

Has anyone ever used hand sanitizer for cleaning their face. I just bought some and used it. It smells alot like rubbing alcohol. I am very oily and thought I would try it. If it kills bacteria maybe it will help with my acne.

MemberMember
(@yeegreen1)

Posted : 10/01/2009 9:10 pm

Umm... dont you think it would burn your skin? I suggest you use a non-drying cleanser because when a drying cleanser dryes your face, it makes your face really oily after because its stripping your skin from natural oils. I suggest whatever Dan suggested on his site. I think it was Cetaphil.

Goodnight!

Jon

MemberMember
(@cecelia)

Posted : 10/01/2009 10:54 pm

I would not suggest using hand sanitiser on your face. It has a very high alcohol content and usually is heavily perfumed.

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 10/01/2009 10:57 pm

Hand sanitizer is overly-drying and much too harsh to be used as a facial "cleanser". If anything, it'll probably end up irritating your skin and making your acne worse.

MemberMember
(@warrior-of-acne)

Posted : 10/06/2009 5:57 pm

I agree with everybody above me. Purell is meant for your hands, not your face. I would imagine it would sting like hell too.

MemberMember
(@aafreeman21)

Posted : 10/06/2009 6:05 pm

Ok fist of all hand sanitizer has a load of alcohol in it. If you put it on your acne, not only will you have dry skin. your pores will be clogged thus causing more acne possibly in the form of cysts or nodules

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 10/06/2009 9:43 pm

That is definitely NOT a good idea! Alcohol is one of THE worst things you could put on acne-prone skin! I will tell you what I've been using as a cleanser, but not in the traditional way. The one and only old-fashioned Noxzema...yup, the smelly stuff in the blue jar. Through some trial and error, I've come up with a different way to use it. Instead of using it as a mask, and then wiping it off, I simply put the jar in the shower with me, apply it to my wet neck and face, and then wipe it away. It has done wonders for me, don't expect much lather, much like Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. Only one difference, it's 100X more effective and gentle!

MemberMember
(@ccasey)

Posted : 10/06/2009 11:31 pm

why? im mean really? come on now..common sense. im being harsh =/. are you really that desperate? in any case, FOR YOUR SAKE dont do it. or do it, and you'll learn a valuable lesson...

MemberMember
(@luvasiaboyz)

Posted : 11/03/2011 5:00 pm

I use hand sanitizer as a spot treatment. shrinks the pimples overnight, but don't use it all over, too drying.

MemberMember
(@ls206816)

Posted : 07/25/2013 1:47 pm

I use it and it works better then anything else Ive ever tried. But I use it as more of a spot treatment.