Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey

How do you cope with acne and your job?

Do you find it hard to go into work?

Does the job environment make any difference?

Do you workmates say anything about your acne?

I finished studying last year, and with college you can take days off when you feel acne is very bad and do as you please really. But with work you dont have that option and ive been finding it so hard.

Certain jobs I could not do are like anything involving facing customers like retail work.

For a guy its harder too because we cant cover up using makeup.

Any tips or just wanna share you experiences.

Thanks!

Hi Ragloo,

For me it is really the journey to and from work that bothers me the most. I take the train and bus, and it is almost always completely packed with people so I end up having to stand. This is the only time that people actually get close enough to me to see all my acne, and when I feel most uncomfortable.

I am doing an internship at a small company and share a room with 4-5 others. I guess I don't feel uncomfortable around these people because they are judging me by my work, and not so much my appearance. Noone has ever mentioned my acne at work tho, and I probably think it's a lot worse than it actually looks.

I guess that for me meeting new people and being in busy places is the time that my acne bothers me the most.

Hey

How do you cope with acne and your job?

Do you find it hard to go into work?

Does the job environment make any difference?

Do you workmates say anything about your acne?

I finished studying last year, and with college you can take days off when you feel acne is very bad and do as you please really. But with work you dont have that option and ive been finding it so hard.

Certain jobs I could not do are like anything involving facing customers like retail work.

For a guy its harder too because we cant cover up using makeup.

Any tips or just wanna share you experiences.

It is very hard and it sux. I dread going in all the time. I use to take vaction days to go home for a while, now i use a couple of vacation days here and there to sit at home and hide away in hopes of it getting better before i have to go back. I am a SSgt in the USAF and i have to deal with a lot of people in our squadron and it sux when your having a bad day and for me its all the time. I finally gave in and told a couple of co workers how it is affecting me and how i am trying to deal with it. I didnt want them to think i didnt take care of my face. They were behind me 100% and said they didnt think it was bad at all or never thought about that of me. Took a lot of weight of my chest thats for sure and feel a lil better at work now.

Thanks!

hey,

For me work is a pretty big deal acne wise, i mean i work in retail dealing with loads of different people everyday and you do feel a bit like your being judged even though it's probably just paranoia lol What makes it even worse is i work in halfords in the car parts section, which means i get absolutely covered with oil, obviously not desirable foe someone with skin like mine...

For me it is really the journey to and from work that bothers me the most. I take the train and bus, and it is almost always completely packed with people so I end up having to stand. This is the only time that people actually get close enough to me to see all my acne, and when I feel most uncomfortable.
Edited by thisrealmthisengland

How do you cope with acne and your job? I really don't know how Ive done it, it a miracle im still here

Do you find it hard to go into work?Yes for sure, I feel like I shouldn't be there because of my skin and totally out of place

Does the job environment make any difference? being around people all the time really sucks, when I do something wrong I feel like people are mad at me because of my skin and think Im stupid

Do you workmates say anything about your acne? not really but I know there thinking it and sometimes that makes me hate them

Yeah, the best thing to do is find a job with the less amount of customer interaction. Then you should be fine. I, too am looking into something that's away from customers but then again I just started accutane so I'll see how that changes everything.

I work at a hot rod shop, and I'm the only female. I feel like I've got to be the "hot car girl"--like it's part of my job description. Unfortunately, I'm definitely not. I'm fine with not being the hot car girl because I'm not hot, but I'd rather be the pretty girl. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I can ever be that because of my skin.

Ugh, I actually just started a new job a couple of weeks ago, and my acne has already been brought up by one of my co-workers.

My acne has been flaring up a lot lately - I didn't think it looked *that* bad, although I knew it did look bad. I figured that it would go back to its normally mild but still present state, so I just dealt with it, and went out and to work regularly with it looking like what ever it looked like that morning.

But I noticed that for the past week and a half or so, one of the girls in the office had been gazing at it, and asked me last week in reference to it if I had an allergy, to which I replied no and thought she left it alone. But yesterday at lunch, in the presence of the other intern, she decided to start a conversation about my acne, about what was causing it, whether it was "blood poisoning"? or an "infection in the blood"? and whether I take any medicine for it. I guess it was still a little better than, "do you wash your face?", but of course, I still felt really hurt and humiliated that she would even bring it up, or point it out, since it is the one thing I am most self conscious and overly sensitive about. I wanted to cry/die a little inside, and when I mentioned to the other intern how much it bothered me that the woman brought it up for discussion, she just completely didn't get it and insisted that the woman didn't mean anything by it. But this girl, being one of those people who at worse get one pimple a month, couldn't possibly understand.

So how do I cope? I have no other choice, I have to go to work. It has made me so much more self conscious than I was already though, and now I'm obsessing over it and feel terrible about it. I don't want to go out until I can get my skin under control, but I have to. I've always found it difficult to go out in public when my acne looks really bad, but when you have to and are expected to be somewhere, you just have to do what you have to do.

And no one else in my office has talked about it, at least. Well not so far.

It sucks, and feels terrible, but you can't stop living because of acne.

Edited by wsxdrfvgy

Hi I feel you all on this one. I've worked in retail-killer when you're self conscious with acne. I used to work in my local cinema which was great but again dealing with the general public with acne can be horrible. To wsxdrfvgy I want to tell you to tell her to just shut her fucking mouth, but obviously that would be silly and only make things worse. It's like I'm skinny always have been, I would never pretend to understand what it's like for someone who's fat. How they feel, what they go through, I wouldn't trivialise it by saying 'oh it's no big deal' or 'get over it' or ask 'why are you fat?' Because it's extremely insensitive. But obviously this girl at work thinks she can talk about your acne like that. So tell her that it's a real problem for you physically, emotionally and psychologically. To leave it alone. That someone like her could never understand. Ask her to have some courtesy and consideration, and to not enact the maturity of a bitchy school-girl. Ask her to not openly discuss a colleagues health issue. Make her aware that what she is doing is impolite and upsetting. Love ya.

I'm a waitress and sometimes my customers try to give me advice on my acne. I want to tell to fuck off and mind there own business because they have no idea of the struggles ive had or that ive already tried there "idea". But I can't say that to them because theyre customers. I have to just smile and thank them for being so nice.

One time I heard two customers talking about me in the bathroom. I wanted to die.

Yeah I find work and acne very hard to deal with

I'm a waitress and sometimes my customers try to give me advice on my acne. I want to tell to fuck off and mind there own business because they have no idea of the struggles ive had or that ive already tried there "idea". But I can't say that to them because theyre customers. I have to just smile and thank them for being so nice.

One time I heard two customers talking about me in the bathroom. I wanted to die.

Yeah I find work and acne very hard to deal with

I don't think I've ever had a customer or co-worker tell me how to fix my acne and my acne/scars/red marks are pretty bad. That sucks to hear. Keep your head up!

Oh gosh...When my acne was at it's worse, I had many people giving me advice on how to handle it at work. "I'm just there to do my job, what's it to you?" I want to ask. Many of these people have good intentions, despite seeming completely ignorant. They stopped, however. Life is much cooler now, and I hated myself for ever stopping life because of something as silly as skin. Personally, I would never judge you on your skin, and most people would not be bothered by it despite a few pricks here and again but they are scoping for flaws, so you shouldn't be bothered by being around people. We all have imperfections that embarass us.