Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Alex Worhopper

Acne.org regimen gave me wrinkles

Recently I switched from using CVS on-the-spot 2.5% benzoyl peroxide with clindamycin phosphate (which I used successfully for over a year) to the acne.org regimen with clindamycin, and I have noticed an drastic increase in the wrinkles on my skin. I usually have perfectly smooth skin, but after using the regimen for about a week when I smile I see hundreds of cracks and wrinkles in my skin, it almost looks my face has turned into leather. Could this be a really bad reaction to these products? It's really scary -- I f*ing look like an old man. I'm going to stop using the regimen for a while and see if these wrinkles go away.

From the FAQs:

Q: Does benzoyl peroxide cause wrinkles?

A: No, it does not cause wrinkles; however, some people experience wrinkling around the eyes due to applying benzoyl peroxide too closely to that area. This wrinkling is due to dryness and is not permanent. Avoid the eye area with benzoyl peroxide. It is also important to avoid the eye area with moisturizer that is applied over the benzoyl peroxide. This is because the moisturizer can mix with the benzoyl peroxide and bring the benzoyl peroxide with it. On a personal note, the lower half of my face, which is where I've been using benzoyl peroxide for 20 years, looks better than where I haven't. See this link for a pic of my skin after 20 years of benzoyl peroxide.

I usually avoid the eye areas, but I think it may have been the fact that Dan's version is gel-based, and hence spreads more easily, that made me get more than I intended on the eye area. Right now my face just looks pretty messed up so hopefully it really will go away soon.

When you switch products, your skin needs time to adjust to the new product and ingredients and all that. Just give it some time, be careful about where you're getting the BP, and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! : )