Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JayQ

Shaving, could it be the cause?

I have used an electric razor for over 10 years. I told my close friend about my acne problem how it only occurs in 2 areas of chin over and over near mouth. Get really bad inflammed pimples there that cycle back n forth. He asked me has your hair grown thicker through your chin area, and when i compare my old pictures when i was clear it was thinner and i did not have as bad as of shadow.

My electric razor is not rough or anything and i get clean shaves it seems, but would it be better to try the shaving regimen dan mentions? I always thought for sensitive skin or acne prone you would want to use an electric razor but would a reg razor be better? I know a lot of you have seen my threads and pics i have posted up of my regular problem and i believe brandy on here, first brought up the shaving thing to me which got me thinking more about it being a possibility.

Just never thought it would be because i would think i would be constantly breaking out there since i shave everyday since i am in military, that and it forms under skin then develops into red inflammed pimple, not like a shaving bump or anything. What do you guys think?

Edited by JayQ

Sounds like ingrown hair or something.

Try not to get a completely clean shave and just leave a millimeter of hair there.

In otherwords, don't shave for a week. If the condition improves then it might be the cause of you shaving.

Then, you will have to decide, completely clean shaven or use something that will get all the hair off like a buzzer and leaves about a millimeter of hair.

I bought my dad a really nice electric shaver. His first time with it, he got all red and looked really bad. Like he broke out like a mofo from that. And he shaves all the time with a normal 1-2 blade razer and never broke out. Maybe he just didn't know how to use it, but I doubt that. lol

where's the edit? I don't see one. Oh well, umm, eat much soy? I noticed people get a bunch of pimples around their mouth from Soy.

Oh I just type in this box and it adds onto the thing I have last. cool :P

Try not to get a completely clean shave and just leave a millimeter of hair there.

In otherwords, don't shave for a week. If the condition improves then it might be the cause of you shaving.

Then, you will have to decide, completely clean shaven or use something that will get all the hair off like a buzzer and leaves about a millimeter of hair.

I bought my dad a really nice electric shaver. His first time with it, he got all red and looked really bad. Like he broke out like a mofo from that. And he shaves all the time with a normal 1-2 blade razer and never broke out. Maybe he just didn't know how to use it, but I doubt that. lol

where's the edit? I don't see one. Oh well, umm, eat much soy? I noticed people get a bunch of pimples around their mouth from Soy.

Well i would love to grow it out and see, but i can not do that because i am in the military and we have to shave everyday. I also do not eat soy in my diet.

Well i would love to grow it out and see, but i can not do that because i am in the military and we have to shave everyday. I also do not eat soy in my diet.

anyone else?

Well i'm not sure if using a electric shaver is better or worse, Dan mentions that they irritate the skin more than normal razors do. All I can say is that in my experience using a regular razor has been fine, I don't think it has been making my acne worse.

edit: Dan's exact words in the shaving section: "If your skin still becomes irritated, despite following this guide, you could try using a beard trimmer, not to be confused with an electric shaver. I have tried many electrics, and I don't recommend using any of them, as they tend to be very irritating.

A beard trimmer, as the name suggests, will only trim your beard and won't achieve a clean shave. Though with the guard removed you can get your beard down to a close stubble."

http://www.acne.org/guide-to-shaving.html

Edited by Enry

Well i'm not sure if using a electric shaver is better or worse, Dan mentions that they irritate the skin more than normal razors do. All I can say is that in my experience using a regular razor has been fine, I don't think it has been making my acne worse.

edit: Dan's exact words in the shaving section: "If your skin still becomes irritated, despite following this guide, you could try using a beard trimmer, not to be confused with an electric shaver. I have tried many electrics, and I don't recommend using any of them, as they tend to be very irritating.

A beard trimmer, as the name suggests, will only trim your beard and won't achieve a clean shave. Though with the guard removed you can get your beard down to a close stubble."

I know a regular razor provides a closer shave, so is a closer shave better at preventing acne within the hair follicle and making the skin less irratated?

I know a regular razor provides a closer shave, so is a closer shave better at preventing acne within the hair follicle and making the skin less irratated?

bump

You're just going to have to buy a cheapo blade and just start shaving with that. If it is better, then I'd stick with that...

You're just going to have to buy a cheapo blade and just start shaving with that. If it is better, then I'd stick with that...

Ya i think im gonna try dans shaving regimen with his razor of choice and the acne.org cleanser and see how it goes. Man its gonna be weird since i have not used a regular razor since i went to bootcamp 8 years ago lol.

Braun Cruzer 4 is awesome

I guess i should have explained my shaving routine, which is just shaving every morning when i get up before a shower. So i shave dry with an electric razor all the time but it does not hurt or pull or anything. I don't wet my face or anything.

let us know how it turns out :)

I usually just shave dry with a blade..... When I do shave. (once every month or 2) besides my side of face which is like at least every 1-2 times a week. It's not thick at all there