Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So,

as I have mentioned in my "introduction" post, I have post acne discoloration (its not really referred to as a "scar") I've been contemplating on a few methods on how to get rid of the brown spots.

The lemon method seemed to be a pretty good one with good reviews, its natural and pretty fast acting.

Camellia Oil is good for smoothing out the texture of the spots but not so much for the lightening appearance.

I then, went online to look for some other products and came across Murad's Post Acne Gel Treatment.

Again, reviews were good, read the how to use description and decided to order it.

I recieved my order and was so anxious to use the product that I overlooked the one ingredient in it:

Hydroquonine (2.0%)!

Now, you are probably asking yourself, "whats the big deal?" I've been researching Hydroquonine for a few days, I will sum up the pros and cons for you: If you have anything to add to this or would like to express your opinion, please feel free to leave a comment.

(cited from

Pros:

When it comes to treating hyperpigmentation, nothing has proven more effective than hydroquinone. But let's back up: What's hyperpigmentation? Simply put, it's a darkening of the skin, and can refer to anything from freckles to sun damage to the dark marks left behind when a cut or pimple heals. Hormonal changes – from pregnancy, birth control pills, or hormone therapy, for example – can also lead to a more severe form of hyperpigmentation known as melasma. Hydroquinone works by inhibiting tyrosinase, an enzyme that stimulates the production of melanin, or skin pigment – it can decrease its activity by 90% and dramatically reduce excessive darkness.

Cons:

The FDA's primary concern is that hydroquinone can lead to a condition called ochronosis, which is basically a more permanent form of hyperpigmentation. Other side effects like skin rashes and nail discoloration may also occur, but can be resolved by simply discontinuing use of hydroquinone. Some researchers have raised concerns about whether hydroquinone and related compounds may cause cancer, but there have been no reported cases of human malignancies resulting from topical application of hydroquinone. As a result of these concerns, hydroquinone is only available by prescription in Europe and it is highly regulated in Asia.

My opinion:

I really don't think its a good idea to use products with such an ingredient, mainly because its pretty much a "chemcial." I truly believe nature intended human bodies to consume and utilize natural products. I will post an additional piece of my top 10 recommended natural skin care products.

hey there i been prescribed with neostrata fading gel with 4% hydroquinone on my nose which had the most darkest pigment scar, in less than a month i was happy with the results it gave. As for side affects iam not to sure because i been applying to the tip of my nose ever night and always applyin sunscreen when out and i havent had any problems so far.

So as a summary of Hydroquinone i think its safe to use.

heres is a link i posteda while back on my foughts on Hydroquinone hope it helps answer your question

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/OMG-pigme...-f-t249492.html

Edited by nafan

thanks c'est la vigne! haha sorry about that, didn't know how to move the subject.

Please don't be mad at me! hahaha =) And yes, I am aware of all the mispellings.

Nafan- I agree with what you are saying in your reply.

Congrats on the great results, by the way =)

And I've read up more on hydroquinone, within the last couple of days.

I have come to a new conclusion: Like you are doing, while using the hydroquinone, it is advised that people wear sunscreen of an SPF of atleast 30 because the hydroquinone basically removes layers of the skin, in order for the discoloration to fade. Thus, I have conjured up a new opinion, hydroquinone is not necessarily hazardous itself, however, without the use of sunscreen while using hydroquinone, can result in skin cancer or any other skin related disease.