Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stratosfear

Can preservatives cause acne?

Ok as I see it, back in the olden days all the way back to ancient Egypt there was never acne like there is now a days and I think I may know some of the reasons.

They didn’t have chemicals, nutrients, preservatives, additives, toxins, agricultural compounds etc in their food, and we do and the ones being used haven’t been around long enough for anyone to actually know the side effects of being exposed to all these for so long. It was also impossible to eat unhealthy like we do these days, seeing as they didn’t have junk food.

"There are over 14,000 man-made chemicals added to our American food supply today. Food additives are not natural nutrition for humans or their pets. Children are suffering the most from food additives because they are exposed to food chemicals from infancy, and human bodies were not meant to be exposed to the degree of chemicals and food additives that we are currently" (from a ext. site)

They did nearly everything we have a machine to do for us manually, like they use to hand wash their clothes, they walked a lot more cos there wernt cars etc, all this exercise extra throughout the day would of helped with reducing acne.

They didn’t shower everyday - yeah I know that’s gross and I’m not suggesting you stop showering; I personally could never give up my daily shower. Any way have a think about it - we all get smelly if we don’t shower after a day or two. So surely they should have as well right? Well if that’s the case, why was there never any mention of everyone smelling like crap ever in all the history books and stuff! Probably because there body’s didn’t get washed everyday - so the oils on their entire body didn’t get stripped away, and ours do because we shower everyday so maybe our entire body goes into this giant oil producing thing everyday only taking little more than a day for it to start to producing so much we start smelling. If this does happen (probably doesn’t, but I’m just saying keep your mind open) to us then it wouldn’t of happened to them because they didn’t shower everyday so therefore there is like no irritation what so ever from soap and so they don’t break out as much

They had how many products made from chemicals that were put onto your skin, teeth and hair? None, less chemicals must be good for the skin right?

What was their clothes made of? Wool or cotton and that’s about it, they didnt have polyester and all the other man made clothing materials that can irritate skin really bad.

Did they have air pollution like we do today?, I have minimal pollution were I live. But some of you live in huge metropolis’s that pollute like crazy and that can’t be good for skin in one way or another.

There’s probably more that I missed, but you get the point.

Edited by Shekshee Beast

I believe diet plays a huge role in not just acne, but all kinds of health problems and yes, preservatives can impact your body in bad ways.

Growing up, where I lived, we ate almost no prepackaged food and the food we did eat had few preservatives. We would always have to eat our bread within 3 days or it would mold or get dry :lol:.

Once I moved to the US I was here 1 day before the food hit me. Everything I ate tasted discustingly salty and everytime I ate I got stomach cramps. This continued for almost a year. I also rarely had acne (a few spots here and there) back then.

Go even further back than the Egyptians, to the pre-agricultural world, where paleolithic men and women lived, and there was absolutely no acne. I recommend you look into the Paleo Diet. "the dietary cure for acne" is a good start.

Everything I ate tasted disgustingly salty and everytime I ate I got stomach cramps. This continued for almost a year. I also rarely had acne (a few spots here and there) back then.

Thats cos american food is crap anyway :P

jk

Go even further back than the Egyptians, to the pre-agricultural world, where paleolithic men and women lived, and there was absolutely no acne. I recommend you look into the Paleo Diet. "the dietary cure for acne" is a good start.

hmm thanks for the idea, but i like my like my fat sugar and salt to much :P

eh, i just had a bowl of ice cream and now i feel sick.

changed my mind im gona look into it :D

Edited by Shekshee Beast

I don't think that preservatives necessarily cause acne on their own, but they can certainly contribute to a less than ideal state of health. Not to mention most foods that have lots of preservatives in them are generally processed/refined crap foods that are bad for you anyway.

That's why it is so important to eat a wholesome diet of real, unrefined foods as much as possible.

...But then again even our whole foods are tainted with pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, picked early and artificially ripened, sprayed with wax and preservatives. And in the case of meat, the animals are fed unhealthy diets, pumped full of hormones and antibiotics, and treated horribly. Haha, I guess we're all screwed /end cynicism.

So basically grow your own food and raise your own meat :lol:

Actually, my brother-in-law's father does that. He had raises his beef, only organic food and only natural medications/treatments. Pretty tasty stuff.

Thats cos american food is crap anyway

jk

From my perspective, all r food is craph. Too many people are too lazy to make food, so they go buy prepared meals or go eat at fast food places instead. I wonder why many people today in America have weight issues and other diet-related issues...hm.

Then again, I've seen some people eat nothing but junk food and have perfect skin, while I pretty much starve myself not eatting certain food and still break out...damn irony. :doubt:

And I can barely stick to a diet anyways, so I don't bother doing the whole "acne" diet thing...the only thing I can stick to is eating less junk (I've always like healthier food anyways, so not a big issue), so its no so all bad until you get the weird cravings, such as craving gummi worms or instant mashed potatoes. This is pretty much how I fail any diet I've attempted. :)