Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nDn4LiFe

Where does ignorance end?

So I was in class today. My college professor is an archaeologist and was describing to us some dig he went on in the middle east last summer. He compared the location he was working on to a pimple (at this point there was a collective "ewww" heard through the class). So he's comparing the two and says some stuff, and then he says to the class "and why is that pimple there? because you forgot to wash your face in the morning." Now he tries to be a funny guy and all but this still bothered me. Whether or not it was a joke it still bothers me because that seems to be the perception people have. I mean, if a COLLEGE PROFESSOR with a doctorate thinks this way, then what is stopping other people from thinking the same? It just sucks because I KNOW that I take better care and go the extra step for my skin than most of my friends and yet I'm still perceived to be the guy with bad hygiene because I have acne. There needs to be some sort of massive nation-wide acne awareness movement/campaign. Sigh.

Whenever I hear people saying things like that (or hear stories like yours), I want to hand those people a note that just has the URL of Acne.org on it so that they can educate themselves.

Maybe you could do something like that. Just leave an anonymous note on his desk or in his office or whatever that says something like, "Your excavation/pimple metaphor was a little harsh. Maybe you need to 'dig' a little deeper and educate yourself about what really causes acne. www.acne.org".

Yeah, It does get old after awhile and it's especially embarressing when your one of the only ones in class with acne. it makes you just want to slouch down really far into your chair and hide and hope you don't come to mind, when people hear things such as that. But, Some people who have acne really don't wash their face or takecare of themselves as the need to; then the blame on their problems on acne.

Anyways, It's important to remember just because he has a "Doctorate" doesn't mean hes the smartest or most knowledgeable person in the world. Theirs alot of False stuff being tought in Colleges today or non factual (not just stuff that can be prove be science but something way beyond our normal relm of thinking) . SO, don't give him to much credit..

Yeah, until people have a reason to get to understand acne or people who do (usually comes in the form of having it personally affect them in some way), there will always be some level of ignorance towards acne. It's like that saying "people fear what they do not understand or fail to recognize".

So I was in class today. My college professor is an archaeologist and was describing to us some dig he went on in the middle east last summer. He compared the location he was working on to a pimple (at this point there was a collective "ewww" heard through the class). So he's comparing the two and says some stuff, and then he says to the class "and why is that pimple there? because you forgot to wash your face in the morning." Now he tries to be a funny guy and all but this still bothered me. Whether or not it was a joke it still bothers me because that seems to be the perception people have. I mean, if a COLLEGE PROFESSOR with a doctorate thinks this way, then what is stopping other people from thinking the same? It just sucks because I KNOW that I take better care and go the extra step for my skin than most of my friends and yet I'm still perceived to be the guy with bad hygiene because I have acne. There needs to be some sort of massive nation-wide acne awareness movement/campaign. Sigh.

I hear you man. I think that is one of the main reasons acne keeps us down is because a lot of people do think this way. Especially ones that do not know you at all. It is why we do try to hide not only because of how bad it looks but people do look at you and probably think, "Wow he must not clean very well." That just pisses me off to no end. I would have stayed after class and addressed him this issue that saying something like that can offend those who have it. Would be the same as comparing it to any other disease. Acne is a disease and it should not be used as an bad example in any class discussion as go for any other disease. I can not believe he did that, but then again i can. This is why i finally opened up to a couple of my close friends that i worked with about my acne because i did not want them to actually think i was not trying to take care of myself, but they said they didnt think that way of me. The closer people you know will not, but the ones that do not know you will be fast to pass judgement. Argh it sux for sure!

Edited by JayQ