Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hockey

How do you reduce inflamation ?

I have acne on my face. Is there any Vitamin or anything that can reduce inflamation ?

The inflammatory stage is where zinc shines, but you have to have at least a halfway decent melatonin cycle to go with it, since the mechanism is that zinc superoxide dismutase (melatonin stimulates cells to create the superoxide dismutase portion of that) prevents the P. acnes bacteria from generating inflammation. Unfortunately, many factors can keep your melatonin cycle messed up: irregular bedtime, not sleeping in total darkness, not sleeping long enough, using caffeine/alcohol/drugs, not living in bright light during the day (which can interfere with the digestion of the tryptophan required to create melatonin), being Vitamin B deficient (which can divert tryptophan for the manufacture of the missing Vitamin B), etc. If you take 100mg of zinc per day for just a few days and don't see a dramatic reduction in inflammation, then you just as well not bother with it -- your melatonin cycle is too impaired to do the trick.

IMHO. :D

Google: "what are the most inflammatory foods" and avoid these as much as possible

Google: "what are the most anti-inflammatory foods" and eat these as much as possible

So should i take 100 mg per day . 50 Morning and 50 at Night.

I heard if you take alot of zinc it can mess up with other things in your body is that true ?

I usally sleep about 5-6 hours a night and i am 16 years old.

So should i take 100 mg per day . 50 Morning and 50 at Night.

I heard if you take alot of zinc it can mess up with other things in your body is that true ?

As do i through the week, but i try to take a quick hour or two nap after work to compensate. It is recommended that you sleep at least 7-8hours.

Zinc, C, E, A, Carotenes, alpha lipoic acid, Omega 3s, green tea, all kinds of plant nutrients. Anything that's an antioxident is anti-inflammatory. And just about all plant foods, herbs, spices, teas that are not seeds (high omega 6) are anti-inflammatory. Also fish and other omega 3 sources.

Avoid inflammatory foods, the worst of which are sugar, meals that spike insulin, and hydrogenated /trans fats and oils from high omega 6 plant sources. And amongst seeds, how inflammatory they are varies. Wheat is one of the worst.

Look up foods on nutritiondata.com. They rate the inflammatory nature with a chart and a score.

You can also apply anti-inflammatory topicals containing things like zinc, green tea and aloe, and avoid inflammatory irritating topicals.

More info:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...an-t230714.html

Edited by alternativista

Yes. And there are no studies of large-dose zinc in people whose brains and other organs are still actively growing, like yours are. I wouldn't take more than the RDA until you're an adult. Or, like alternativista says, you can get topicals that contain zinc -- may not help much, but pretty unlikely to cause any damage.

Yeah, I really wouldn't even bother spending money on any supplemental zinc then -- it's pretty unlikely you have anything close to a normal nighttime melatonin surge on that kind of sleep schedule. People who live without artificial light (and those are the only significant populations so far found to be 100% acne-free) appear to sleep about 9 hours per night in summer, 10 hours per night in winter.

It's funny, in a study of teenagers with acne that found no correlation of severity with sleep, the average was about what you're getting -- or more than 30% less than people living "naturally". No wonder they found no correlation, virtually none of their subjects got enough sleep! Of course, sleep is not precisely equal to melatonin, so teenagers do lots of other things that also confound the data, like staying up real late on weekends so the 24-hour melatonin clock is continually trying to re-synch, damaging the benefit of however many hours of sleep there are.

People always (without any direct evidence) conclude that teenage acne is caused by "hormones", even though no teenagers tested in the Trobriand Islands (no artificial light) had any acne at all. But in electrified society, the teenage years also tends to correspond with the freedom to start sleeping less, take sleep-disturbing substances (caffeine, alcohol, drugs), and begin having irregular (often wildly irregular) bedtimes.