Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stratosfear

Why you shouldnt wear make up

Ok, so I was gona put this in the “Why are guys so afraid of make-up? ” thread, but decided to make my own because it’s not just about guys

I still think guys wearing makeup is weird, I don’t couldn’t care less if they wear it, it’s their choice and who am I to stop them, and if it makes them feel better about themselves good on them. I just like expressing my opinions.

I think the entire concept of wearing makeup in general has many flaws and can create some serious problems for a lot of people. Example - my sister wears makeup nearly 24/7 she can’t live without it, and when she washes it off she always complains about how disgusting her skin is, the redness, uneven skin tone, oiliness, the works and it’s really sad when I see her like that. I’m sure there are a lot of chicks and even guys out there that also think this when all they need to do is start getting use to the skin they were given instead if plastering there face with, and if there not happy do something about it via the inside of your body instead of the outside, think about what kind of food your eating and your life style choices, like the old saying goes – you are what you eat, instead of covering it up with stuff that suffocates your skin and probably doesn’t do it any good in the long run. I know there are some of you that can’t go without makeup because you have rosacea or something similar but all I can say is try not to use it so much.

Some of you probably think I’m being a hypocrite seeing as I have acne and use stuff to help my skin via the outside of my body, but I’m speaking strictly in terms of wearing makeup not regimens to help get rid of acne. Or you may be thinking “what would he know, he doesn’t wear makeup”, I don’t have to wear it to have an opinion about it

But just have a think about it the kind of makeup used today has never even been used before and no one really knows for sure what the long term effects are. They could be good, they could be bad but why take the risk if you already have bad skin now, imagine what your skin will be like when you’re old. Your acne may be gone but imagine what all those years with makeup on your face everyday would have done.

If you disagree with me, or have a different opinion please reply to this. I would like to hear your side of the story.

Edited by Shekshee Beast

I just can't go into public without my face covered... I really wish I could though. :(

Edited by TrevorB

Makeup can be fun, too, besides hiding flaws. Like, I think my lips look just fine all by themselves, but it's fun to experiment with different lip glosses anyway.

also, by make up i mean concealer. not all makeup in general.

But by saying that your opening post makes no sense to me? If you don't mean all make up in general, then your point about us not knowing the long term effects and so on is moot?

So blusher/foundation/powder/eyeshadow/lipstick and so on are ok to wear just not concealer? Because the first 3 offer a better concealment of flaws than just concealer. I think you're trying to say that we shouldn't 'hide' our skin with make up by covering imperfections, hence the concealer comment?

But well, lets face it, everything from how we wear our hair to what clothes we wear is based around what we think suits us, compliments us and so on. Make up is just an extension of that, but IMO a more important one. Because it's your face. Especially people with scars, either from acne or other causes. Having marks on your face can literally destroy someone's confidence, and if using make up to conceal them and give them 'normal' skin helps someone's confidence, then it can only be good.

I don't think you're a hypocrite because you use face products, but how can you say they are any different to make up. There are X amount of new spot creams and so on released all the time, and so many of them are full of god knows what. A lot harsher chemicals than make up thats for sure. Look at the uproar over Hydroquinone causing cancer.

When it comes down to it acne is seen as a cosmetic condition. So using products to help clear it, or make up to help conceal it while it's healing, or for scars afterwards, is in my opinion, all cosmetic. Afterall acne isn't going to kill anyone. But depression from disfiguring scars or not feeling like you can leave the house as your skin is so bad could indeed have a far greater impact on health. So if make up helps anyone, male or female, feel more confident and happier in their skin, I say go for it! Life is too short to be anything but happy.

I completely agree with Chloe.

If I never wore make up i wouldn't have the confidence to approach ANYBODY.

I'd rather have friends now and fucked up skin when I'm 72. Even if years of make up gave me horrible skin at least I could look back and say I lived my life to the fullest because I wasn't so worried about how horrible my skin looked in public.

Edited by xanaxx

Thanks chloe, point taken and you've made me change my opinion on alot of what i said.

But what i meant by 'only' concealer is just makeup for covering your skin from bumps etc, all the other kind of makeup is different because it is used to make yourself look hot, not to cover up acne. So there for you dont actually have to wear it to make your skin look better, and if your not wearing it you wont get fucked up skin from it when your older.

and point also takin duchamp, pretty much made me change everything i thought that chloe hadnt changed lol

But i was no way implying that we should live in our sterile bubbles.

and thats another one of my points i missed, seeing as its become the norm for anyone to wear makeup, loads of young girls are growing up and are being expected to look 100% for society, Because there older counterparts are potraying what their role in the world is expected to be like, flawless.

Pretty much another topic started here, but its this kind of thing which starts destroying morals in society.

loads of young girls are growing up and are being expected to look 100% for society, Because there older counterparts are potraying what their role in the world is expected to be like, flawless.

They need to stop photoshopping those celebrities.

sorry, off topic...

by the way, there is only a tiny differences between "cover your flaw (e.g. acne)" and to "make yourself look hot". You're applying things on your face to make you look the best you can. Foundation to even out your skin tone (cover a flaw), Blush on your cheek so you don't look washed out (another flaw), Eyeliner to make your eyes look more prominent (improve another flaw), Mascara so your eyelashes doesn't look too thin (another flaw), some shadowing to gives your face more depth (flaw), Lip stick to give your lips some colour... If our lips are always in a pretty red shade, we probably don't need it (so, flaw). Lip gloss to makes our lips appear fuller, so it hides our thin and "less desirable" lips (flaw).

So... how's concealer different?

in terms on hiding the flaw(s) we see on our face.

I think some cosmetic might make your skin worse, like...if you don't pick the right one for your skin or not removing them properly. However I don't think it really post a serious health risk on it. and I don't think all cosmetic can make your skin worse. (personal experience, I'm using a foundation that NEVER break me out, and never irritate or dry my skin out, never make my skin uncomfortable. so it's hard for me to think that foundation can ruin my skin...)

Also , it just seems unlikely to me that, all those models and celebrities are all going to have horrible skin when they get old, due to massive amount of makeup they use everyday... Otherwise we would have heard anything from the news already, as models and actresses from the old days (say... 1940s) are using cosmetic with a quality that are not as good as what we have today.

do something about it via the inside of your body instead of the outside, think about what kind of food your eating and your life style choices, like the old saying goes – you are what you eat, instead of covering it up with stuff that suffocates your skin

You can do both. I do. Although I agree with not wearing makeup or using topicals that irritate and make your skin worse.

Make up does not cause acne. I went for years and years wearing makeup and never had a single pimple. Then when I got in my 20's my hormones went a little crazy and I started breaking out on my jaw. If you invest in good oil free make up, there is nothing wrong with wearing it if you feel more confident and presentable that way. Of course walking outside "natural" feels so much better. I love going to the beach with absolutely 0 make up on and letting my hair blow in the wind.

Make up can cause acne because if not used properly it can clog pores. The proper way to use makeup, cover up, foundation is with facial moisturizer first, then apply.

El Violador

Lol ok...I don't think this was a discussion on how to apply makeup. Of course you moisturize before applying foundation, but how does moisturizer prevent foundation from clogging pores? If you wear oil free make up like I do, it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by BRAZZY

Couple years ago when I went to the dermatologist, he had notice I wore foundation earlier that day. To make a long story short he basically explained to me about how moisturizer helps prevent the foundation from clogging your pores

El Violador

But just have a think about it the kind of makeup used today has never even been used before and no one really knows for sure what the long term effects are. They could be good, they could be bad but why take the risk if you already have bad skin now, imagine what your skin will be like when you’re old. Your acne may be gone but imagine what all those years with makeup on your face everyday would have done.

While I can emphasize with the notion of looking towards the long term - I think your concern is a tad bit misplaced - we're living in an age where the people of our generation are binge drinking, smoking and doing all sorts of weird and wonderful drugs. Simply putting some powder on your face, in light of that stuff is a lot less significant don't you think? ;)

Couple years ago when I went to the dermatologist, he had notice I wore foundation earlier that day. To make a long story short he basically explained to me about how moisturizer helps prevent the foundation from clogging your pores

El Violador

sorry, but that isn't true. Derms are good people :shifty: but they can say some wacky things sometimes. all foundation formulas are different -- you can't say with certainty that they all clog pores. even if they did, wearing a moisturizer underneath will do nothing except maybe help the foundation blend into the skin better. maybe that is what he meant.

El Violador

sorry, but that isn't true. Derms are good people :shifty: but they can say some wacky things sometimes. all foundation formulas are different -- you can't say with certainty that they all clog pores. even if they did, wearing a moisturizer underneath will do nothing except maybe help the foundation blend into the skin better. maybe that is what he meant.

No, he was pretty cut and dry about what he meant. We agree to disagree

El Violador

El Violador

No he was pretty straight forward with what he meant. I believe him. We agree to disagree

El Violador

Guest Rocky666
Ok, so I was gona put this in the “Why are guys so afraid of make-up? ” thread, but decided to make my own because it’s not just about guys

I still think guys wearing makeup is weird, I don’t couldn’t care less if they wear it, it’s their choice and who am I to stop them, and if it makes them feel better about themselves good on them. I just like expressing my opinions.

I think the entire concept of wearing makeup in general has many flaws and can create some serious problems for a lot of people. Example - my sister wears makeup nearly 24/7 she can’t live without it, and when she washes it off she always complains about how disgusting her skin is, the redness, uneven skin tone, oiliness, the works and it’s really sad when I see her like that. I’m sure there are a lot of chicks and even guys out there that also think this when all they need to do is start getting use to the skin they were given instead if plastering there face with, and if there not happy do something about it via the inside of your body instead of the outside, think about what kind of food your eating and your life style choices, like the old saying goes – you are what you eat, instead of covering it up with stuff that suffocates your skin and probably doesn’t do it any good in the long run. I know there are some of you that can’t go without makeup because you have rosacea or something similar but all I can say is try not to use it so much.

Some of you probably think I’m being a hypocrite seeing as I have acne and use stuff to help my skin via the outside of my body, but I’m speaking strictly in terms of wearing makeup not regimens to help get rid of acne. Or you may be thinking “what would he know, he doesn’t wear makeup”, I don’t have to wear it to have an opinion about it

If you disagree with me, or have a different opinion please reply to this. I would like to hear your side of the story.

Ok first off you can't rant about wearing make-up and then end it with to only include concealer? I mean WTF?

Sorry for the harsh language but Make-up gives ppl peace of mind, and make up now a days is better for your skin than it was 20-30 years ago. Plus a lot of makeup does do some good for your skin such as moisturizing, evening out skintone, and helping to combat wrinkles. Yes you should try and take care of your skin and not just temporarily cover it up with pankcake makeup but for the time being while you're taking care of your skin you can wear it. But I definietly wear make-up and my skin isn't bad but I like it because it it gives a good all over coverage. I don't think you should judge until you wear it.

Ok first off you can't rant about wearing make-up and then end it with to only include concealer? I mean WTF?

Ok yeah that was pretty wtf-ee but at the time i was just thinking about concealer and was calling it make-up, so thats why i mentioned afterwards that i just meant concealer.

So im sorry if offened anyone by calling concealer make-up :P

Also i dont mean this in a spiteful way, but if you have good skin why on earth are you on this site? If i had good skin then i so would not want to come on here cos then i would get depressed thinking about what my skin use to be like. Pfft they dont even have chat anymore so i wouldnt be able to talk with my friends on here, what would be the point.

Edited by Shekshee Beast

Rofl, ok "the vialator" how could you not realise that you had posted the exact same thing twice

Edited by Shekshee Beast

I don't see what's wrong with people wanting to look their best..in fact I think guys should be encouraged to put in more effort into grooming, because it does increase self-esteem, it feels good when you look good

Also makeup may encourage people to take better care of their skin..when I wear makeup I make sure I clean my skin really well and put more effort into my skincare routine. It's the same when I used to go suntanning, I exfoliate more and I take better care of my skin by applying body creams, compared to when I did not go suntanning.

the result of makeup on a relatively pimple-free skin is great.. it boosts my confidence which is why I don't think makeup is that evil. Just that I am too used to it and I got to wear it everyday when I leave the house, but it doesn't take up a lot of my time.

I guess I will explain why I wear makeup as a guy (I will mainly summarize to keep it short and simple...since I probably have other posts explaining my reasoning already).

Why do I wear makeup? Why the hell not? It lessens the appearance of my acne, acne scarring, redmarks, and the nasty uneven skintone (pretty much your sister's situation). Plus it does boost my self esteem, so I actually feel like doing things rather than being depressed all the time. The cons are that sometimes makeup isn't always perfect...some days I regret even putting it on (like days when your skin has dry patches...ugh). However, the pros outweigh the cons, so I still wear makeup. And over time I've gotten over the damn stereotype of men wearing makeup, so I don't worry about that ordeal. Long story short, I wear makeup because I choose too despite what other people may say/think :)

I don't see what's wrong with people wanting to look their best..in fact I think guys should be encouraged to put in more effort into grooming, because it does increase self-esteem, it feels good when you look good

and point also takin duchamp, pretty much made me change everything i thought that chloe hadnt changed lol

:doh: ^ You and the guy above you. Seriously i take back what i said, i myself wore concealer the other day and omfg, it gave me so much confidence like you could not believe. When pay day comes around guess what im buying :dance:

Personally I know what you mean about it creating problems. We all go around looking at women with make up on thinking they have such good skin, only to go home, take ours off and cry. Their skin isn't probably that much different from ours in terms of uneven skin tone, blotchiness, redness, etc. Deep down we know that but we all want to live in a perfect world where everyones skin is perfect, much like the one we see on tv.

The thing is using make up to cover up acne makes you feel more like yourself again, because when you picture yourself, you don't want to picture you with acne. Thus it makes you more confident, and happier. So I'm all for wearing it....

But if you're concerned about the health of the skin then there are a million different types of make up out there, its just a matter of finding the least offensive for your skin, taking it off propperly, and heck you could even get one with an spf if youre worried about ageing.

I don't think make up is such a big deal..if people want to wear it and they like it..why not. People do worse things like smoking.