Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So that I feel like I'm about 85% clear of acne, my cheeks are still pretty blotchy and flushed looking. They're also very clogged up. I've been washing with Purpose liquid cleanser and it's been the best wash I've used in years. It keeps my acne to a minimum and keeps my skin looking healthy for the most part. So now I'd like to take care of the clogged pores and the redness in my cheeks.

At the moment all I do is wash morning and night with the Purpose cleanser and VERY rarely put BP on whiteheads, since I don't get that many. Though, throughout the day I take vitamin ACE pills (all 3 in one pill) with 2 of my meals, about 90mg of zinc, 500mg of C 3 times and about 3-4 fish oils, oh and a swig of ACV 1-2 times. It keeps me relatively clear but now I want to add a little more into my skin care regemin.

I recently ordered Paula's Choice 2% BHA and it should be here tomorow or Thursday. I also just got back from the store and bought Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser. My skin normally doesn't react bad to anything I put on my face. I used to use the DKR but I screwed it up using some kind of Clean and Clear Cleanser.

Anyway, so here's my new plan:

Morning: Wash with Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser

Night: Wash with Purpose liquid cleanser and then wait 15-20 mins to use PC 2% BHA

So opinions/recommendations on this plan would be so awesome.

The main redness reducing ingredient in the Eucerin face wash is lichochalone which is licorice root. The ingredient would be more effective if it was delivered through a moisturizer and not a face wash which doesn't really deposit ingredients on your skin. So, my advice would be to wash with the Purpose and use the Eucerin Redness Relief Moisturizer instead. Don't worry, moisturizer is very beneficial for acne.

I would also apply the moisturizer at night and do the BHA in the morning instead.

Thank you so much for your advice MrsZ.

Hmm, so switching over to the moisturizer instead of the wash sounds like a great idea so I think I'm gonna do that. Too bad I tossed the reciept for the wash. >_<

Buuuuuuut, why do you think I should apply the BHA during the day and the moisturizer at night? My outlook on it was that I hate having stuff all over my face during the day 'cause it kinda feels all weird and heavy. I did the DKR and got sick of it and how it made my face feel and look during the day. I thought that applying the BHA to my face at night before bed would let my skin absorb it easier as I sleep, since that's when your body uses all the vitamins and other things you put into your body during the day. And of course, applying it at night would avoid having stuff on my face during the day. It definetly makes sense applying the moisturizer to my skin at night though, so I'd hopefully wake up with alot less redness on my face. I don't know though, I'd love to hear the reason why you think I should think about switching the order.

So, I recieved my BHA today and I do plan on applying it tonight before bed, though I don't know how it feels yet on my skin so we will see.

Your approach makes perfect sense. Cell turnover is at it optimum while we sleep.

I suggested the moisturizer for that reason, but also because I think if you are not used to moisturizer and you might find it too heavy feeling during the day.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here.

Regarding the store receipt. Just take it back, tell them you don't have the receipt but you purchased the wrong item and you would like to exchange it. I have done that a million times! Just be polite and you should have no problem with the store clerk.

Ah awesome. So since you feel that either order works, I'm gonna stick with the BHA at night and use the moisturizer during the day after I shower. I'm not sure which one I'd replace the wash with though...

If you look at http://www.eucerinus.com/rednessrelief/ and go to The Products and then Product Information and click both moisturizers, you see that the Daily Perfecting Lotion is for intensive or daily redness and the Soothing Moisturizer Lotion is for mild or ocassional. Thing is...my redness is mild AND daily haha.

If you don't really know which will suit me better, then I'll probably just go with the Soothing one. Anyway, thanks alot for your advice, makes me feel a whole lot better with my situation. :]

I looked at the ingredients. You should always read the ingredients rather than the product description - since companies sometimes will sell the same exact product but with a very small ingredient change or sometimes the products are the same, the labels just change. (If you don't believe me - next time you are in a drugstor compare the ingredients in Excedrin, Excedrin Tension Headace and Excedrin Migraine - its all the same product.)

But, I digress. Here is the difference between the two.

The Daily Perfecting Lotion contains three types of sunscreen. It also contains squalene, shea butter and two pigment changers. Squalene is used to sooth irritated skin, shea butter provides extra moisture to sooth the skin and there is chromium oxide and another ingredient which is a tint that when applied to the skin it washes out the redness ones skin (like applying makeup).

The Soothing Moisture Lotion appears to be a moisturizer that is wax based with only one type of sunscreen. It would be a good moisturizer for someone with oily skin that is not too sensitive.

My guess is that the Daily Perfecting Lotion might be too heavy for your needs. But, the ingredients are definately beneficial to your skin. So, it would really be a matter of personal choice.