Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tdot

Hormones.......................

Hey guys... So I have been on the birth control pill for 8 years now and I feel like I should be getting off these artficial hormones. They have caused me a lot of issues in the past and I'm not even sure it helped my skin... maybe at first but I was on it when I started to develope acne, so obviously it didnt do much for me. I have recently switched from Othro Tri-cyclen to Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo... So far I honestly dont mind it.... I havent noticed a huge change in my skin and well my periods are very strange on it but short (I dont get my period the week I'm off the pill I get it the last row of the pills... weird I know). However my moods are crazy sometimes... but they always have been on the pill. I feel very bi-polar.

What I'm wondering is has anyone here ever made a smooth transition from being on the pill to being off of it? Are there any supplements I can take to help me ease out of it? Right now I am taking DIM and Evening Primrose Oil... I know EVO helps with my PMS so I know it does help balance my hormones, but I havent notices any changes after starting DIM... I still break out, but I am wondering if it's because I am combining the DIM with the birth control pill? I would really appreciate if you girls could help me out with any possible advise... this is very scary for me... especially since I dont want to get pregnant haha. But I would rather use condoms than be on fake hormones that cause me so much stress.

Thanks in advance :)...

Edited by tdot

DIM helps the body flush out excess estrogen, so 1) it could be reducing the effectiveness of your contraceptive, and 2) it wouldn't help 'ease off.'

Consuming phyto-estrogens when you stop the BC might help ease off and even help if it's the estrogen in the BC that ever helped you. But it could also have been the progestin, which is synthetic progesterone and what really provides the contraceptive. Progestin can also make it worse. There's info and links on that in my Good Things thread. Link in my signature.

DIM helps the body flush out excess estrogen, so 1) it could be reducing the effectiveness of your contraceptive, and 2) it wouldn't help 'ease off.'

Consuming phyto-estrogens when you stop the BC might help ease off and even help if it's the estrogen in the BC that ever helped you. But it could also have been the progestin, which is synthetic progesterone and what really provides the contraceptive. Progestin can also make it worse. There's info and links on that in my Good Things thread. Link in my signature.

I took a look at some of the threads you have created... thank-you for the information. I think I might go off the DIM when I quit the pill... But I will continue with my Evening Primrose Oil and Zinc to help balance my hormones. I'm so scared to god off the pill haha.... but Im also scared to stay ON it because of all the horrible things it does to my body... I'm sure my liver just wants a break already!

hey tdot!

i am a BCP survivor and I would say the sooner you get that stuff out of your body the better. I really messed up my whole system and not just acne although that was the most traumatic of all the negative effects I got from going on and off the pill too much. Now I am off the pill, almost clear, and totally steadfast in my determination never to put synthetic hormones in my body again. Dont be afraid. The transition may be rough but you will definitely get through it and your body will thank you for it. You should be ready for a 1-9 month adjustment period (or even longer) I would say evening primrose oil is a really good place to start. I am currently take 500 mg a day and I have been since I quit the pill in March 2009. Zinc is also really good. Other than that, just do tons of research on this site, and try to figure out what type of hormone imbalance you have. I have made the connection between eating habits and hormones and right now a low GL, dairy free, nutrient dense diet is working to keep me balanced and (mostly) clear. Scour this website because there is tons of information on how to give your body the conditions it needs to balance your hormones. In the end you will be healthy and better off! Good luck and go for it! You wont look back

hey tdot!

i am a BCP survivor and I would say the sooner you get that stuff out of your body the better. I really messed up my whole system and not just acne although that was the most traumatic of all the negative effects I got from going on and off the pill too much. Now I am off the pill, almost clear, and totally steadfast in my determination never to put synthetic hormones in my body again. Dont be afraid. The transition may be rough but you will definitely get through it and your body will thank you for it. You should be ready for a 1-9 month adjustment period (or even longer) I would say evening primrose oil is a really good place to start. I am currently take 500 mg a day and I have been since I quit the pill in March 2009. Zinc is also really good. Other than that, just do tons of research on this site, and try to figure out what type of hormone imbalance you have. I have made the connection between eating habits and hormones and right now a low GL, dairy free, nutrient dense diet is working to keep me balanced and (mostly) clear. Scour this website because there is tons of information on how to give your body the conditions it needs to balance your hormones. In the end you will be healthy and better off! Good luck and go for it! You wont look back

Hey Catpower! Thank-you for replying :). It's nice to hear that you are off the pill and feeling better... and clearing up. Honestly after a while I started to believe my pill was causing my acne... My ND told me that the pill could be causing my liver to stress out. It's taken me almost two years after he told me that to finally decide to go off of it. MOstly because of my boyfriend, he's not happy I'm going off of it... lol he probably wont even sleep with me now, he's scared of getting me pregnant... but so am I! But not as scared as I get thinking about all the bad things that the pill is doing to my body!

I am already on the same kind of diet you are.... NO DAIRY for sure, that stuff gives me cysts. And I am preparing (I end my last pack of pills this week) for the long haul in the healing process, I know that it will probably be hard for the first while :(.

By the way... I know this is kind of a personal question, you dont have to answer if you dont want to... Now that you are off the BCP, what do you use for birth control?? Condoms seem to be the only thing I can really think of that wont be painful for me to deal with (IUDs and whatnot).

Anyway... thanks again!!! :)

You might try chasteberry vitex which women often take to boost progesterone levels. But apparently it improves pituitary function and if so, ought to help everyone.

If you have menstrual issues like irregularity, pain, PMS, it might be a sign of estrogen dominance, from what I've noticed from other people's posts. And that's about a dominance of estrogen over progesterone. Some of the DIM threads have a lot of info on this. I think there's links in my Good Things thread.

I don't have that problem, but I started taking chasteberry a few weeks ago and my hirsutism has gotten a lot better. It may be too soon to tell. It could be a normal fluctuation of hormones since it's about ovulation time now, but I think it's an awful big improvement. I had been on BC, which I never noticed helping, and then added peppermint tea, and suddenly my hirsutism got better, then I went off the BC this past spring and after a couple of months got a bit worse so I guess the BCP was helping a little.

This is a very timely thread. I have been on Diane 35 for almost 10 years now, and while it has pretty much cleared up my bacne, I have been getting persistent chin acne for the past few years (which I have now attributed to my enormous caffeine intake).

I've been thinking of going off the pill, but every time I attempted to do this in the past, my bacne would come back with a vengeance ... to the extent that I'm scared of coming off the pill, but I know I must eventually. I can't really stay on it forever.

At one stage, I was taking EPO with my pill and I noticed that it aggravated my acne. I think if I ever come off the pill (which I hope will be soon), the EPO will work for me.

You might try chasteberry vitex which women often take to boost progesterone levels. But apparently it improves pituitary function and if so, ought to help everyone.

If you have menstrual issues like irregularity, pain, PMS, it might be a sign of estrogen dominance, from what I've noticed from other people's posts. And that's about a dominance of estrogen over progesterone. Some of the DIM threads have a lot of info on this. I think there's links in my Good Things thread.

I don't have that problem, but I started taking chasteberry a few weeks ago and my hirsutism has gotten a lot better. It may be too soon to tell. It could be a normal fluctuation of hormones since it's about ovulation time now, but I think it's an awful big improvement. I had been on BC, which I never noticed helping, and then added peppermint tea, and suddenly my hirsutism got better, then I went off the BC this past spring and after a couple of months got a bit worse so I guess the BCP was helping a little.

Thanks for your suggestions :). I think I'm going to wait it out... quit taing DIM when I quit the pill and then just try and figure out my symptoms from there so I know what to take. I did hear Vitex was great fro PMS. I'm glad it has improved your hirutism :).

This is a very timely thread. I have been on Diane 35 for almost 10 years now, and while it has pretty much cleared up my bacne, I have been getting persistent chin acne for the past few years (which I have now attributed to my enormous caffeine intake).

I've been thinking of going off the pill, but every time I attempted to do this in the past, my bacne would come back with a vengeance ... to the extent that I'm scared of coming off the pill, but I know I must eventually. I can't really stay on it forever.

At one stage, I was taking EPO with my pill and I noticed that it aggravated my acne. I think if I ever come off the pill (which I hope will be soon), the EPO will work for me.

Hey maybe we should go off the pill together haha, mine ends this week... then I'm DONE! No looking back. I'm SO scared of coming of fthe pill... I've been on it non stop since I was 15, so I have no idea how my body and skin will react.

Good luck both of you (or anyone else planning to come off the pill). Tdot, I think it is a good idea to just get your regime to the bare basics while you come off the pill. Dont add anything new in for the first month or so. I was taking a supplement called estrotone (you could look into it) to ease my transition, and I thought it was helping. But then when I ran out of it after 2 months, my skin actually got alot clearer so it could have been affecting me negatively (I also stopped dairy at the same time so I cant say for certain) But it is good to just become more aware of your body without too many factors to be considering.

About birth control. Now I always use condoms and actually to be honestly the pill fucked up my body worse than just acne so right now I am not ovulating/menstruating so I am not to concerned about getting pregnant. But one thing I can suggest which is consistent with holistic medicine is ovulation awareness.. just get to know your rhythm and cycle and recognize the signs of ovulation and then be particularly viligant about using condoms on those days (or dont have sex!!) and the rest of the month, of course still use a condom, but with knowing that there isnt such a big chance of getting pregnant (because there is no egg to get fertilized) i would suggest researching this method :) IUD's arent painful nor do they affect your hormones so they are another good option.

I have a question about my current regime that isnt really related but I thought I would post it here for some feedback anyways. I haven't eaten any dairy for 2 months now and I am pretty sure I can attribute some of my much clearer skin to this which I am very happy about. And I am getting on just fine without eating dairy but I wouldn't mind being a little less strict about it in my diet, having some yogurt or cheese a few times a week or something. My question is, and this goes for any elimination diet, what is the best way to reintroduce a food back. Should I just go all out and eat it quite a few times within a few days to see if I see a reaction or should I just start with a very small amount and then over a few weeks increase it...? Any suggestions.. actually maybe I will just start a new thread about this.

Good luck everyone! Oh and alternativista, cool to hear about the hirsutism. I am especially interested in the peppermint tea for it because I have noticed more hirsutism since I quit the pill.

Good luck both of you (or anyone else planning to come off the pill). Tdot, I think it is a good idea to just get your regime to the bare basics while you come off the pill. Dont add anything new in for the first month or so. I was taking a supplement called estrotone (you could look into it) to ease my transition, and I thought it was helping. But then when I ran out of it after 2 months, my skin actually got alot clearer so it could have been affecting me negatively (I also stopped dairy at the same time so I cant say for certain) But it is good to just become more aware of your body without too many factors to be considering.

About birth control. Now I always use condoms and actually to be honestly the pill fucked up my body worse than just acne so right now I am not ovulating/menstruating so I am not to concerned about getting pregnant. But one thing I can suggest which is consistent with holistic medicine is ovulation awareness.. just get to know your rhythm and cycle and recognize the signs of ovulation and then be particularly viligant about using condoms on those days (or dont have sex!!) and the rest of the month, of course still use a condom, but with knowing that there isnt such a big chance of getting pregnant (because there is no egg to get fertilized) i would suggest researching this method :) IUD's arent painful nor do they affect your hormones so they are another good option.

I have a question about my current regime that isnt really related but I thought I would post it here for some feedback anyways. I haven't eaten any dairy for 2 months now and I am pretty sure I can attribute some of my much clearer skin to this which I am very happy about. And I am getting on just fine without eating dairy but I wouldn't mind being a little less strict about it in my diet, having some yogurt or cheese a few times a week or something. My question is, and this goes for any elimination diet, what is the best way to reintroduce a food back. Should I just go all out and eat it quite a few times within a few days to see if I see a reaction or should I just start with a very small amount and then over a few weeks increase it...? Any suggestions.. actually maybe I will just start a new thread about this.

Good luck everyone! Oh and alternativista, cool to hear about the hirsutism. I am especially interested in the peppermint tea for it because I have noticed more hirsutism since I quit the pill.

Hey Catpower, thanks for replying :). Yes I think I am just going to go off of everything when I go off the pill and try and figure my body out during those first few months. I'm so glad to hea ryou are doing well off the pill.

Yeah I think I will just have to figure out my cycle and just use condoms... haha who knows maybe I wont even ovulate... I'm so small I might not even get my period either... which is kind of a scary thought.

As for adding dairy back in... I have been trying to figure that out too.. maybe you should try eating some goat dairy, like goat's yogurt and goat cheese... supposidly it's easier to digest. I think I am going to try this too later on... maybe next year.

Good luck to you!

I suggest reintroducing the dairy little by little.

I read on the BBC news a while ago about studies conducted into eliminating peanut allergy in kids. The way they do it is to let them have a little bit and then increase the dose over time.

Unfortunately, I think their studies found though that it didn't work for everyone ...

I'm dead scared about coming off the pill. If I were still a college student or something, that would be fine ... but I go to work everyday and I need to see clients, so having acne wreck havoc on my face is quite a scary thought.

I suggest reintroducing the dairy little by little.

I read on the BBC news a while ago about studies conducted into eliminating peanut allergy in kids. The way they do it is to let them have a little bit and then increase the dose over time.

Unfortunately, I think their studies found though that it didn't work for everyone ...

They also were most likely not at all concerned about the delayed type reactions that cause acne, headaches, fatigue, etc., since few allergist are. Any reports I've seen on this were only concerned with the immediate kind of reaction that can potentially kill you.

Yeah, I believe the article I read about was talking about peanut allergy that caused an immediate reaction and could potentially kill the kids ...