Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've given up trying to clear myself completely holistically. I am going to start a low dose accutane course soon.

It is 100% true that diet effects my acne, but it is not the cause or cure.

Just to let you know I will still try to eat as healthy as possibly (difficult while being forced to eat at dorm cafeterias), including avoiding HFCS, Trans Fats, Dairy, and including fruits and vegetables. (I am also going to make kefir)

I am going to continue to be physically active and I am going to take the following supplements:

Vitamin E

Chromium

Zinc + Copper

Omega 3

Vitamin A

Vitamin D

Calcium + Magnesium

I wish you guys good luck and hope you are able to get clear holistically. I do how ever want to warn people not to go overboard, not to starve themselves, or let their diet consume their lives. If you are not seeing results with strict diets and are medically healthy you should probably move on too.

Good luck to you OP!!

Just remember Accutane is not a magic pill. Many people (including myself) were on accutane and guess what? All the acne came back once we got off it. In my case, I am still dealing with the side effects from it 9 years later!!

Edited by dancedd

Well, I'm still puzzled why you want to take accutane, but won't use a topical like BHA or AHA.

Just remember Accutane is not a magic pill. Many people (including myself) were on accutane and guess what? All the acne came back once we got off it.

Have you gone to a naturopathic or holistic doctor?

I know I have suggested that before and I haven't read anywhere that you have.

I know that you are frustrated with your acne, but your body is trying to tell you something. Something isn't right. If I had went on accutane and not received a proper diagnosis, I would have become really, really sick (in some aspects, I was sick already). What if something is causing a hormone imbalance, such as a mineral deficency, or gosh-forbid a tumor? What if you are being exposed to something in the water you drink or shower in? What if you have an overly acidic body and all you need are a few supplements to help balance your body?

You need to get tested. You need a good doctor to look at your test results, your diet, your lifestyle and make a proper suggestion to improve your health and your skin.

Most 'normal' doctors will not do this. They will push prescriptions at you. You need to find an alternative doctor. The one I found looked like a crazy person and talked on and on about all this stuff I didnt understand, but what he suggested as been working for me. He didn't guess. He looked at my blood tests and my hormone tests. He performed muscle-testing on me to see what my body needed and also what it didn't want.

You CANNOT self-diagnose. You can make small steps to improve your health, like improve your diet or take vitamins, etc. But if these small changes don't work, you need professional help.

Like the other poster said as well, accutane is not a cure-all. I have read many stories about side-effects and acne coming back with a vengence.

The choice will always be up to you, but as a person that has experienced severe acne for a long time and to finally have it almost all gone after 6 weeks, I don't want to see anyone else make the same bad mistakes I had made. I self diagnosed. I spend thousands of dollars. I wrecked my self-esteem and possibly a bit of my well-being too.

Best of luck!

Well, I'm still puzzled why you want to take accutane, but won't use a topical like BHA or AHA.

Just remember Accutane is not a magic pill. Many people (including myself) were on accutane and guess what? All the acne came back once we got off it.

And for many, like myself, it never did anything at all.

I started using BP and AHA and it made a dent, but it is just getting worse. The dorm food is getting worse and worse, and while I eat as healthy as I can it is still aggravating my acne. I need to get rid of this for good. (BTW non severe acne is put into remission 90% of the time on accutane, I would consider my acne a bad moderate but not severe)

I know that you are frustrated with your acne, but your body is trying to tell you something. Something isn't right. If I had went on accutane and not received a proper diagnosis, I would have become really, really sick (in some aspects, I was sick already). What if something is causing a hormone imbalance, such as a mineral deficency, or gosh-forbid a tumor? What if you are being exposed to something in the water you drink or shower in? What if you have an overly acidic body and all you need are a few supplements to help balance your body?

You need to get tested. You need a good doctor to look at your test results, your diet, your lifestyle and make a proper suggestion to improve your health and your skin.

Most 'normal' doctors will not do this. They will push prescriptions at you. You need to find an alternative doctor. The one I found looked like a crazy person and talked on and on about all this stuff I didnt understand, but what he suggested as been working for me. He didn't guess. He looked at my blood tests and my hormone tests. He performed muscle-testing on me to see what my body needed and also what it didn't want.

You CANNOT self-diagnose. You can make small steps to improve your health, like improve your diet or take vitamins, etc. But if these small changes don't work, you need professional help.

Like the other poster said as well, accutane is not a cure-all. I have read many stories about side-effects and acne coming back with a vengence.

The choice will always be up to you, but as a person that has experienced severe acne for a long time and to finally have it almost all gone after 6 weeks, I don't want to see anyone else make the same bad mistakes I had made. I self diagnosed. I spend thousands of dollars. I wrecked my self-esteem and possibly a bit of my well-being too.

Best of luck!

I've had extensive testing done through blood work and chest and stomach xrays/scans. It all says I am VERY healthy. I really don't have any problems besides acne and gaining weight (which was a problem for my father and all his uncles until they turned 21)

Best of luck!

This is a great post and an excellent recommendation. One problem, as I see it, is finding a naturopath competent or knowledgeable enough to make the diagnosis.

Vegangirl, if you have the time and are willing, can you please tell me what your naturopath's diagnosis was regarding the root cause of your acne? You can PM me if you want.

And for many, like myself, it never did anything at all.

I started using BP and AHA and it made a dent, but it is just getting worse. The dorm food is getting worse and worse, and while I eat as healthy as I can it is still aggravating my acne. I need to get rid of this for good. (BTW non severe acne is put into remission 90% of the time on accutane, I would consider my acne a bad moderate but not severe)

Best of luck!

I've had extensive testing done through blood work and chest and stomach xrays/scans. It all says I am VERY healthy. I really don't have any problems besides acne and gaining weight (which was a problem for my father and all his uncles until they turned 21)

Who looked at your test results? My 'normal' doctor said all my results were within range. Once I had the naturopathic doctor look at the results, he noticed that I was on the low end and high end of certain things and that it was showing some deficiencies. My blood hormone test came back normal, but when I did the saliva test for hormones, my estrogen and progesterone were low and my cortisol was high.

I didnt have any 'noticeable' health problems either (not that I had noticed). It was normal for me to burp a lot after meals. It was normal for me to feel tired after eating. It was normal for me to feel bloated. It was normal for me to have really pale skin. It was normal for my periods to be late. I hardly ever got sick, but my organs were not functioning as well as they could. I was training in martial arts 5 days out of the week. I felt like I was very healthy. But I wasn't. My adrenals and thyroid were beginning to malfunction.

I'm not debating you for the sake of arguing. You situation sounds so much like mine. I changed my diet so many times, I took so many herbs and supplements, I tried everything topical known to mankind. Nothing worked until I found someone who knew what they were talking about. I don't want to see you take something that will mask the problem your body is trying to tell you. Acne doesn't just happen.

I'm pretty sure you probably don't live anywhere near me, but I would be willing to give you the number of the guy who helped me. He spoke with me for an hour before my first consultation. It might not be possible for you to see him face-to-face (which kind of stinks because of the muscle-testing) but maybe he can at least give you some ideas.

Good luck with your course. I also started a low dose course. I'm on day 50 of 10mgs a day.

And don’t let others discourage you from your decision. Only you know what’s best for you.

Who looked at your test results? My 'normal' doctor said all my results were within range.

And did you get copies and review them yourself and to keep to show to future doctors? Or just get told 'all is normal?'

Who looked at your test results? My 'normal' doctor said all my results were within range.

And did you get copies and review them yourself and to keep to show to future doctors? Or just get told 'all is normal?'

My doctor is a family friend and I see him regularly when he is not working in the field. He is always asking questions and checking up on my health, especially mentally, I am sure he would bring anything up if it had ANY significance.

My calcium was high, but he said that was fine.

My doctor is a family friend and I see him regularly when he is not working in the field. He is always asking questions and checking up on my health, especially mentally, I am sure he would bring anything up if it had ANY significance.

Meh I would look at your thyroid

Calcium high & lack of weight gain could point to hyper right there. Supplement with Magnesium to balance that out. I would do a 1:1 ratio of Cal/Mag right now if I was you

Look up hyperthyroidism. I doubt you got a thyroid scan there

Calcium high & lack of weight gain could point to hyper right there. Supplement with Magnesium to balance that out. I would do a 1:1 ratio of Cal/Mag right now if I was you

My doctor checked out my thyroid, and I take a calcium/magnesium supplement with slightly more magnesium.

My doctor checked out my thyroid, and I take a calcium/magnesium supplement with slightly more magnesium.

Packerfan i wish you luck if you decide to take on accutane as i know that is a very big decision, i myself would just do that if i had acne else where but i don't. I get the same shit over and over and i am going through the same turmoil for results as you are with the whole diet. Even though it has helped to an extent, it is not the outcome i am looking for, especially when i was eating whatever and getting the same inflammed acne. I see an endo thur about my hyperthyrodism and i am hoping for the best in treatment and answers to my acne problem and health, if not i dont know what i am going to change too, but i will be moving on to something else as well. As bad as i was hoping this strict diet would work over time (3+months) it isn't cutting it no more for me. Tired of living in disappointment on both ends, way of living and acne.

I have to jump in here and say that I have done it all: regular doctor with bloodwork, naturopath with bloodwork and hormone testing, many years at the dermatologist, diet modifications (including food allergy testing), supplements, antibiotics, and topicals. It gets exhausting when everything you have tried just doesn't work. I am finally on accutane. I did not make the decision lightly and actually waited 8 months before I finally "gave in" to my PAs recommendation and asked her for the medication. I did my research and due diligence before taking this medication. I am pretty sure Packerfan has done the same based on all his postings I have seen. I wish you luck Packerfan!!!!

I have to jump in here and say that I have done it all: regular doctor with bloodwork, naturopath with bloodwork and hormone testing, many years at the dermatologist, diet modifications (including food allergy testing), supplements, antibiotics, and topicals. It gets exhausting when everything you have tried just doesn't work. I am finally on accutane. I did not make the decision lightly and actually waited 8 months before I finally "gave in" to my PAs recommendation and asked her for the medication. I did my research and due diligence before taking this medication. I am pretty sure Packerfan has done the same based on all his postings I have seen. I wish you luck Packerfan!!!!

Good luck to you too.

What dosage are you taking?

I am hoping for a 10-20 mg daily dose depending on what my dermatologist thinks.

Yes, I did get copies, thank goodness. The only thing that was out of range was AST which is a liver enzyme. I told that it wasn't a problem by my 'normal' doctor. Nice. My liver is excreting an enzyme showing it is in distress, and this is OK?

It is just very discouraging that this is what we have to deal with for a health care system. The second dermatologist I went to told me that 'Acne just happens" when I asked her why this was happening to me. I wrote a letter to the office a couple weeks ago to basically tell them in a nice way that they have no business having a practice.

I was told everything was OK when it wasn't. My levels were in 'range'. What are these ranges based on? I can't seem to find any concrete information on the internet. Are these ranges based off of weight? Height? Gender? BMI? Health history? Physical activity levels? Amounts of stress? Family history? DNA? I hardly think so. I'm thinking gender only since my blood work comes back with stuff about menopause and I'm 25. I got my blood work done at Quest and they didn't weigh me or anything.

That means your blood work ranges are based on the general population and that cannot be accurate. My naturopathic doctor evaluated me as a whole person, not just a test sample. If you really think about it logically, it makes sense. Regular doctors are more about pushing prescriptions and keeping your appointment under 15 minutes.

I spoke with my naturopathic dr for an hour on the phone and then over 2 hours in person. That's three hours before a diagnosis. And that is why I am on my way to recovery.

If you want to take accutane, then take it. It's your body, your life. But you didn't try everything you could. Like I said, I am happy to get you in contact with the person that helped me. All you have to do is ask.

I was told everything was OK when it wasn't. My levels were in 'range'. What are these ranges based on? I can't seem to find any concrete information on the internet. Are these ranges based off of weight? Height? Gender? BMI? Health history? Physical activity levels? Amounts of stress? Family history? DNA? I hardly think so. I'm thinking gender only since my blood work comes back with stuff about menopause and I'm 25. I got my blood work done at Quest and they didn't weigh me or anything.

That means your blood work ranges are based on the general population and that cannot be accurate. My naturopathic doctor evaluated me as a whole person, not just a test sample. If you really think about it logically, it makes sense. Regular doctors are more about pushing prescriptions and keeping your appointment under 15 minutes.

I spoke with my naturopathic dr for an hour on the phone and then over 2 hours in person. That's three hours before a diagnosis. And that is why I am on my way to recovery.

If you want to take accutane, then take it. It's your body, your life. But you didn't try everything you could. Like I said, I am happy to get you in contact with the person that helped me. All you have to do is ask.

I will take that offer you can pm me the info and everything. I am seeing my endo thursday this week and if he is not helpful then i will def want to speak to someone who is.

Edited by JayQ

Well after researching accutane non-stop since reading this post, I just can't bring myself to take it.

I don't care how unlikely it is, things like permanent hairloss and erectile dysfunction are not worth the risk.

Scarring and redness are just as bad as acne also.

I'm pretty sure my acne will go away within a few years, even though it pains me to wait that long it is better than putting myself on a chemotherapy drug.

I am going to try some things out like Pantethine, Niacine, etc.

Just got my kefir grains, will be about a week or two before they are ready to make kefir though.

Hi Packerfan!

It's unfortunate that you still have acne after doing so many things :( but it sounds like accutane isn't something you want to undertake; I think that posting about accutane in a holistic forum is just asking to be disencouraged! Haha.

I just had a question... what's a kefir grain? *blushes* Hahah.

Well I started making kefir today. I've probably posted this already but I'll do it again. My regimen:

Omega-3 (Krill Oil)

Zinc + Copper

Vitamin D

Calcium + Magnesium

Vitamin A

Vitamin E

Kefir

Eat as healthy as possible.

Weight training and walking.

I pray to God that this works, I'm so tired of this. So tired.

Congrats on deciding against accutane.

Dude that is a ridiculous amount of supplements. Have you ever tried JUST eating healthy simple foods without any kind of pill? If not that could be your answer. Supplements aren't natural to digest, in my experience they do more harm than good, your body can sort itself out on its own if you just let it be and don't stress it with extreme ideas. Just an idea.

PackerFan, I'm so glad you decided against Accutane. Please let me know if you want the email address of the guy who helped me. Maybe he can look at your bloodwork and give you some ideas of what to do.

Look at my pics on my profile. That change happened within a month. I went from having the worst acne ever to almost cleared skin. I didnt have to take anything weird. no magic potions. Just some vitamins and minerals. Maybe you dont have the same 'root cause' that I had, but this guy seems to really know what he's doing.