Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DapperDolphin

Very dry skin in need of intense moisture

Though I've been using 10% BP for quite a while, my skin has gotten increasingly dry over the past week. It's to the point where I can feel my skin stretch when I smile or during other expressions.

My regular moisturizer isn't enough anymore I suppose. I also plan on reducing my use to every other day and switching to a lower percentage.

Can anyone recommend a HEAVY moisturizer, available at the drugstore, that's also non-comedogenic? Perhaps I'm asking for too much lol, but if anyone has a moisturizer that does a great job of healing super tight and dry skin, please share.

I should note that I use jojoba oil and it hasn't been helping, either.

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions!

I use cetaphil moisturizing cream when my skin gets really dry. I'm not a huge fan of it under makeup, because I think it makes me too oily. However, when my skin is very dry and peeling this is the only thing that seems to moisturize it enough and not add to my acne problems.

I would recommend you change from 10% BP to 2.5%. It has been proven to be equally as effective against acne causing bacteria, but less drying and irritating.

Edited by Alona

I use cetaphil moisturizing cream when my skin gets really dry. I'm not a huge fan of it under makeup, because I think it makes me too oily. However, when my skin is very dry and peeling this is the only thing that seems to moisturize it enough and not add to my acne problems.

I would recommend you change from 10% BP to 2.5%. It has been proven to be equally as effective against acne causing bacteria, but less drying and irritating.

Thanks for your reply! I chose to go with Aquaphor since my skin is so dry, tight, itchy and red all over (it appears as though I have mild sunburn on my face). It's in need of serious help so here's hoping Aquaphor will do the trick.

I'll take your advice to switching to 2.5% BP, as I have some left over ProActive Repair Lotion that has that percentage. Fingers crossed that my normal skin will return soon!

Used lo'real intense hydra creme. Its non-condemgenic and its only 6 bucks. I layer it after applying benzol. Its sells out fast at my walmart when restock.

Yeah, I can't use BP, where I apply it my skin turns really red and hot. If I use it two days in a fow my whole face, neck and chest turn red and feels really hot. If your skin starts turning red and hot in areas where you haven't applied it, stop using it.

Thanks for your reply! I chose to go with Aquaphor since my skin is so dry, tight, itchy and red all over (it appears as though I have mild sunburn on my face). It's in need of serious help so here's hoping Aquaphor will do the trick.

I'll take your advice to switching to 2.5% BP, as I have some left over ProActive Repair Lotion that has that percentage. Fingers crossed that my normal skin will return soon!

I have the same problems when acne products. I currently use skintactix products and have found success as long as I stick to the regimen twice daily. I use there treatment moisturizer twice daily and if I go outside I use there sunscreen to protect my skin from the sun. When I emailed the site they sent me an email with a regimen to help with dry skin. It really helped me even though I hate milk. I have posted it below:

Dry Skin

The Skintactix products can cause dry skin during the first couple of weeks of product use, until the skin has a chance to adjust to the products.

Following is an easy method of rehydrating your skin. It won't interfere with the acne treatment and you can use this method whenever your skin becomes dry. If your skin is very dry use this technique two nights in a row.

In the PM following your evening cleansing, place some warm milk in a flat bowl and place it in a sink. Soak a washcloth in the milk and while leaning over the bowl bring the soaked washcloth up to your face and press gently for 4-5 seconds. Repeat this process again and again for 3-5 minutes. When finished do not rinse your skin. Let it air dry for a couple of minutes and continue with the balance of your evening regimen.

You may also use a light, non-oily moisturizer.

Using too much of the products can promote skin dehydration. The products should last 2-3 months, so look at your product usage to see if it appears the appropriate amount has been used and each product would last at least 2 months. The products are concentrated so each treatment only requires a small amount.

Manufacturers of make-up foundations are now adding salicylic acid to these products for use on acne prone skin. Using a product of this type in combination with the Skintactix products may be a cause of skin dryness.

[sorry, incase you need the site it is www.skintactix.com

Hope this helps!

Edited by reinkessmar

if your face is as dry as you say it is, i would definately cut back on using BP everynight and apply it every other night. also use the 2.5% until your face gets back to normal. your face being dry does not help acne, your skin creates more oil to hydrate your skin which can make it worse