Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have to agree, I don't think your chances of side-effects are that great at 10mg. I will say, if you want to get rid of your acne, I don't know that 10mg is going to do the job. Were you planning on taking a long-term course at that amount? I am on 40mg - 115lbs. My side effects are mild, chapped lips, some redness and rashes on my arms. Other than that, not too bad. I half-way through my 2nd month - acne is still not gone. I know you have been researching whether or not to take accutane. I did the same and so far have not regretted my decision. Good luck!

I have to agree, I don't think your chances of side-effects are that great at 10mg. I will say, if you want to get rid of your acne, I don't know that 10mg is going to do the job. Were you planning on taking a long-term course at that amount? I am on 40mg - 115lbs. My side effects are mild, chapped lips, some redness and rashes on my arms. Other than that, not too bad. I half-way through my 2nd month - acne is still not gone. I know you have been researching whether or not to take accutane. I did the same and so far have not regretted my decision. Good luck!

Well I might want to ask for 20 mg now. I do not have severe acne, but it is consistently pretty bad. It actually probably used to be severe and it is getting worse now again. I am only 125 pounds.

10mg is more than good enough and best of all, it reduces the chance of experiencing permanent side effects. Do not allow your mind to play trick on you that high dose works better than low dose.

I would say I have about 4-6 pimples on my back and chest at one time and 3-4 big pimples on my entire face at one time. I probably have about 20 small pimples on my face but they are usually barely raised but still red. All my pimples leave red marks. Do you think I should ask for 10 or 20 mg?

You have to made your own decision as you are the only one who knows how well your body cope with accutane. You can try 20mg if you want to but no more than that (is for your own good). You can always reduces your dose back to 10mg if you find that 20mg is too much for you to handle. Discuss with your doctor as well.

Edited by Max-

I think you will want to start at 20mg. My acne is cystic/nodular - but only a couple at a time (I have classic hormonal acne on my chin) and I started at 40mg. My PA at the derm's office considered that "low" since I am sensitive to medications. I can tell you from my 6 week experience that I have dry/irritated lips and dry skin on arms with some rashes. I have broken out mildly here and there - but nothing out of the normal. I honestly think you might want to consider upping your dose after the first month if your side-effects are mild.

I think you will want to start at 20mg. My acne is cystic/nodular - but only a couple at a time (I have classic hormonal acne on my chin) and I started at 40mg. My PA at the derm's office considered that "low" since I am sensitive to medications. I can tell you from my 6 week experience that I have dry/irritated lips and dry skin on arms with some rashes. I have broken out mildly here and there - but nothing out of the normal. I honestly think you might want to consider upping your dose after the first month if your side-effects are mild.

Ok. I will ask my dermatologist what she thinks of 20mg. Could you answer the question in my other topic if possible?