Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jR!

What to use during the day?

I'm using .1 % tretinoin cream and I'm still prone to breaking out I've been using BP during the day but my skin is just beyond irritated all the time is there anything I can use during the day that will cause less irritation but still help improve my skin/prevent breakouts?

You have at least a few options...

You can alternate every other day with the BP and tretinoin to reduce irritation. Or just reduce the BP to every other day. Or reduce tretinoin usage to 5-6 days per week instead of nightly.

You can try a BHA or AHA exfoliant several times a week instead of the BP.

You can try a topical antibiotic instead of the BP for the daytime... or try something like Ziana, which is a combo of tretinoin + an antibiotic.

There is also Duac, which is a BP/antibiotic combo that you could use every other day.

If you're getting irritated, it might be a good idea to cut back the tretinoin to 5-6 days/ week anyway.

Are you using sunscreen during the day? You're more sensitive to the sun on a retinoid, so it's easy to get irritated skin if you forget to wear sunscreen.

Thank you for the response, so on the nights that I didn't use the tretinoin would I just Wash + moisturize? and if I took a day off BP I would do the same? Also yes I'm wearing sunscreen.

Thank you for the response, so on the nights that I didn't use the tretinoin would I just Wash + moisturize? and if I took a day off BP I would do the same? Also yes I'm wearing sunscreen.

Yep, just wash and moisturize on nights without tretinoin, and just wash and moisturize on mornings without BP (assuming you moisturize am and pm).