Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well I've been on 10Mg of Accutane for 2 weeks now. I started it during the second week of school. The first few days were fine but lately my grades have dropped a lot. I went from a 76% in Academic gr.10 Math to a 48% in gr. 11 University Functions. Also I'm getting 50%ish in Chemistry. I stopped Accutane on Thursday ( 2 days ago ) thinking that it could be the reason of my bad grades. If your wondering it has been taking me twice as long to do my homework and I'm putting full effort into my work. Another thing I'm losing interest in most stuff (hanging out with friends and etc). Since Thursday I've also gone into a Depression.. So i was wondering if all this is because Accutane and if i should continue?

Edited by RagstoRich

Thats a tough thing to say. You are only on 10 mg and its only been two weeks. That really shouldnt cause those kinds of side effects. If you were on something more than the recommended dosage I would say yea. I think it could just be hormones messing with you but to blame accutane I dont think you can do yet.

Good luck with whatever decision you make

I have been taking 20 mg of Accutane twice a day, and AZITHROMYCIN 500 mg once every night with a break on weekends as prescribed by my dermatologist. In the first week, I was very thrilled, as my oil was gone, the acne seemed to be shrinking pretty well and I thought it'll only get better from here. But on the onset of second week I got dry patches, peeling skin, chapped lips, muscle ache, and pain in my joints, and I believed it'll get better, which eventually it did, except my chapped lips. Then after some time, my skin wasn't that dry and I got severe breakouts and redness, the opposite of first week, infact I believe I haven't ever got acne this bad. I got really worried, since I remember my chicken pox looked better than what I have, or maybe I'm just exaggerating a bit. Although its true, I have never gotten Acne this bad, anyway, now its been more than one month, and my acne is still the same, I don't see any major or no improvement, except my nose, which does not produce those dewdrops of oil anymore but I have got these weird ***ITCHY RED RASHES*** that weren't there before on my legs, arms, chest...they aren't that many but are red, itch a lot like mosquito bite, and if I scratch them they turn into red scars...

CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT !!! I MEAN WILL I EVER SEE ANY RESULTS !!! I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MORTIFIED. I have such chapped dry lips that bleed, I'm hoping that all of this is adding to something and it'll get better. Does anyone share the same side effects and can anyone please tell me like when exactly will I see some white skin uder my red layer of acne...lol...its not even funny, but I can only laugh at myself now...HELP !!!

PS. I ALSO TAKE VITAMIN E AND MY USUAL CALCIUM 1000mg.....oh one more thing, I sometimes need to take WELLBUTERIN- hope that doesn't interfere with the ACCUTANE

HELP/ SUPPORT needed

XO

Shifa

To the OP- I would stop and let your derm know. Accutane works diffrently for everyone. I read stories of serious side effects happening to thoose even on a low dose.

Shifavenus- You be having a allergic reaction to one of the meds, Accutane or the antibotic. I would contact your derm asap.

Good Luck

Well I'm going to stop taking it for 1-2weeks and see how my grades are. Most of the depression came from school, since i was getting bad grades+homework=stress. Anyway I'm not going to school today so i can stay home relax and get my self together and I'll see how tomorrow goes.

Thanks for the help, I will phone my Derm. and tell her.

P.S. Could Accutane have caused my grades to fall or is it just me?

Edited by RagstoRich

I just would really not suggest taking accutane while in college. College is stress enough and then accutane in the mix which could excubrate that. There have been reports of people loosing intrests in things, mood changes and etc...So It could effect your mood and then grades, or you could be stressed from college and accutane excubrated thoose symptoms.

I just would really not suggest taking accutane while in college. College is stress enough and then accutane in the mix which could excubrate that. There have been reports of people loosing intrests in things, mood changes and etc...So It could effect your mood and then grades, or you could be stressed from college and accutane excubrated thoose symptoms.

Thank you, sounds like the stress+ Accutane could of caused my Depression and bad grades. Anyway I'm feeling much better today, haven't been depressed at all. I was wondering how long it will take for me to feel normal again (depression completely gone + dry lips healed)?

I have been taking 20 mg of Accutane twice a day, and AZITHROMYCIN 500 mg once every night with a break on weekends as prescribed by my dermatologist. In the first week, I was very thrilled, as my oil was gone, the acne seemed to be shrinking pretty well and I thought it'll only get better from here. But on the onset of second week I got dry patches, peeling skin, chapped lips, muscle ache, and pain in my joints, and I believed it'll get better, which eventually it did, except my chapped lips. Then after some time, my skin wasn't that dry and I got severe breakouts and redness, the opposite of first week, infact I believe I haven't ever got acne this bad. I got really worried, since I remember my chicken pox looked better than what I have, or maybe I'm just exaggerating a bit. Although its true, I have never gotten Acne this bad, anyway, now its been more than one month, and my acne is still the same, I don't see any major or no improvement, except my nose, which does not produce those dewdrops of oil anymore but I have got these weird ***ITCHY RED RASHES*** that weren't there before on my legs, arms, chest...they aren't that many but are red, itch a lot like mosquito bite, and if I scratch them they turn into red scars...

CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT !!! I MEAN WILL I EVER SEE ANY RESULTS !!! I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MORTIFIED. I have such chapped dry lips that bleed, I'm hoping that all of this is adding to something and it'll get better. Does anyone share the same side effects and can anyone please tell me like when exactly will I see some white skin uder my red layer of acne...lol...its not even funny, but I can only laugh at myself now...HELP !!!

PS. I ALSO TAKE VITAMIN E AND MY USUAL CALCIUM 1000mg.....oh one more thing, I sometimes need to take WELLBUTERIN- hope that doesn't interfere with the ACCUTANE

HELP/ SUPPORT needed

XO

Shifa

Hi, try not to worry, I was int he EXACT same boat as you up until a week ago! Skin cleared great for the first week, then BAM, worst acne by FAR I'd ever had in my entire life. It's the initial breakout. Mine lasted a hellish 2 months and has only stopped now. My skin still looks an absolute mess but it's all red marks, scars and healing spots/cysts...no new actives at all for over a week. Some people escape the IB, others do not. I too thought what have I done, and even now I'm worried about the scars that I'm going to be left with from the IB, however, in the long run I know it's worth it.

Try to hang in there otherwise everything you've come through so far will be for nothing.

As for your symptoms, I got the exact same ones in my second week, now my skin isn't even that dry, lips are easily managed by lip balm, body skin is fine :)

Edited by Chloe_1

I am actually in college right now and I am taking 60 mg of Accutane which is the proper amount for a 155 pound guy. I have lost no interest in partying, social life, or anything like that. I am in a fraternity and sure drinking is a huge part of it but I just had to learn to control myself. Yes sometimes I lose motivation to do homework but I just tell myself I am going to do it. It does take me much longer to complete papers because I lose focus but accutane is so worth it right now I will just need more time to complete things.

I am sorry you have depression, I have not experienced this at all.

Accutane definetely made me lose concentration easily and have a lot less energy when i took. My grades definetely dropped because of it and it takes a lot of willpower to stay up and finish homework or tasks that need concentration.

I was also slightly depressed on accutane, i'm not sure if it was due to my terrible and long IB that gave me types of cystic acne that i hadn't even encountered before or because of the drug's depression effect, but now reading through symptoms of depression i definetely had a lot of them when i was on the medication. I got off my course 3 months ago and i clearly remember 1 week after i stopped accutane i felt a lot more energetic and alive. I got off the course early (after 4 months of 40-40-80-80mg) because i felt like i wasn't really myself. Now, 3 months post-tane i'm slowly feeling myself again, but still feel a little down because of all the red marks that tane left me with. If you have asian/ethnic skin, DO NOT EXPECT TANE TO NOT LEAVE YOU WITH RED MARKS (especially if u have a horrible IB)

Edited by OrionNebula

Well I've been on 10Mg of Accutane for 2 weeks now. I started it during the second week of school. The first few days were fine but lately my grades have dropped a lot. I went from a 76% in Academic gr.10 Math to a 48% in gr. 11 University Functions. Also I'm getting 50%ish in Chemistry. I stopped Accutane on Thursday ( 2 days ago ) thinking that it could be the reason of my bad grades. If your wondering it has been taking me twice as long to do my homework and I'm putting full effort into my work. Another thing I'm losing interest in most stuff (hanging out with friends and etc). Since Thursday I've also gone into a Depression.. So i was wondering if all this is because Accutane and if i should continue?

10Mg for two weeks is a total 140Mg. Most people that do have severe side effects (rash, blurry eyesight, back pain) wouldn't even show until after a week of 40Mg; or 280Mg.

In my opinion your classes are obviously harder this year. Chemistry and Math are two classes that require more work than others to do well in. You said the your grades dropped since taking accutane... but then said you started taking accutane the second week of school. I'm pretty sure nothing challenging goes on in the first week of class, I was in highschool once too ya know.

That said, if you think going off will make you feel better, by all means do it.