Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
veda

Quitting topicals for good?

SO basically, after my 7+ years of aggressively fighting acne with various topicals, accutane (worked for about a year then my acne returned, which is just wonderful), what have you, I feel like quitting my regime of duac and differin and trying to go 100% the holistic rout. I have been on various "diets" to try and control my acne, and for the last year or so I basically attempt to avoid all sugar, heavily processed foods, overly oily foods, etc. etc. I eat organic 90% of the time, drink lots of water, just in general try to stay healthy (except I am very bad at getting adequate exercise, but I just enrolled in a yoga class which might help with that a smidgen). I also stopped taking hormonal birth control after being on it for like 4 years which has probably made my hormones a wee confused so my breakouts have been worse since then.

The bottom line is, my skin is not so bad in comparison to what it used to be before accutane, but I am not satisfied with it. I hate applying burning topicals. I am very natural in terms of what products I use, everything I wash my hair, face, etc with is all natural, no chemicals whatsoever, so I HATE having to use these gels filled with all these things I normally avoid like the plague!

So I am asking any of you who have given up nasty topicals, how did it go? Any initial breakouts? Did your skin get worse? I want my skin to be healthy naturally, I don't feel right depending on these medications. Have I killed my acid mantle and will it be gone forever?! (Kidding, but really, I don't quite understand what your acid mantle is and how topicals effect it). I want to get off these topicals but I'm afraid of a serious breakout, because the last time I tried to come off them (early june?) my skin got much worse within a week so I started them up again.

So if this was a little tl;dr for anyone, basic question is: Any of you who have ditched all topicals for the holistic route, what was your experience? Any help is greatly appreciated.

yeah diet worked well for me, with vits to mind.

my oily forehead stopped being so oily and my digestive system works a hell of a lot better.

that being said i have still broken out slightly and i suffer from the after math of the spots :( i/e red marks. dark patches

I quit Differin and Duac cold turkey and my skin went batshit crazy. I think it's probably best to wean yourself off of that stuff very slowly if you've been using it a long time, then swap to a natural anti-acne topical for a bit (tea tree oil, aloe vera, etc). I've never heard of someone curing acne by using topicals or even simply growing out of acne while using them, so curing acne from the inside seems like the best choice. :D

I quit Differin and Duac cold turkey and my skin went batshit crazy. I think it's probably best to wean yourself off of that stuff very slowly if you've been using it a long time, then swap to a natural anti-acne topical for a bit (tea tree oil, aloe vera, etc). I've never heard of someone curing acne by using topicals or even simply growing out of acne while using them, so curing acne from the inside seems like the best choice. :D

Yeah this is what I am most worried about, my skin going nuts if I quit all at once. I stopped applying duac two days ago simply because it burns the hell out of my skin and anything that irritating ought not to be too good. Has your skin gotten back to normal since you've quit topicals?

When I quit topicals, my skin did get very bad. After I started getting better, I'm glad I am not using anything on my face. Anytime I do use something, I usually make matters worse.

Right now, I am only using the oil cleansing method every couple of days (just to help clear out clogged pores) and using apple cider vinegar as a rinse (to help keep a healthy PH).

My face is not dry or flaky and looks a lot better.

Your acid mantle is sweat and sebum that you secrete every day and are acidic. This protects the surface of your skin from all sorts of microbes because few things can live in an acidic environment. The issue is that it takes some time each day to return the skin to the proper PH if you strip it with alkaline cleansers and during this time, your skin is vulnerable.

Yeah this is what I am most worried about, my skin going nuts if I quit all at once. I stopped applying duac two days ago simply because it burns the hell out of my skin and anything that irritating ought not to be too good. Has your skin gotten back to normal since you've quit topicals?
Duac is certainly super-irritating; I quit using it after people kept asking me where I went on vacation because my face looked sunburned. :lol:

I don't want to scare you off from quitting because this probably won't happen to you, but after I stopped using topicals I started getting pock-marks, and am still getting them, as well as moderate acne. However, my skin itself is MUCH healthier and less irritated than before, despite the acne. I only use aloe vera now, and am letting my skin heal itself.