Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EarAnnej

what do you do to make yourself feel better about having acne?

i'm feeling really down right now.

my skin is terrible. NOTHING i do works. otc products, bp, sa, prescription stuff, facials, supplements. nothing works.

even worse, i'm a horrible skin picker. one time a few months ago, i stopped for 3 weeks, and my skin was completely clear. but then, i started again when school started, and i'm back to square one. i'm sure it's related to stress levels, so i excercise for a couple hours 6 days a week. it helps, but only a bit.

anyways, i just feel ugly. i've never had a boyfriend, and never even been asked to a dance or anything. i avoid taking pictures with friends, and when i do, i edit them to help hide the acne. i hate going swimming because of my back and chest acne.

however, i don't wear make-up. i refuse to.

WHAT DO YOU DO TO MAKE YOURSELF FEEL BETTER?

responses greatly appreciated. :)

avoiding mirrors when lighting is harsh lol

my skin doesnt look that bad in favourable lighting but in harsh lighting looks completely terrible

i like never look at myself anymore in harsh lighting haha

besides that just trying different products, so i know im doing something proactive

hopefully i get accutane soon and that fixes me up tho cos i've tried alot..

Edited by brandish

Hey sorry youre felling shitty right now acne is a pain in the arse, i agree with the other reply avoid mirrors and harsh light( mirrors are like the devil). Im constantly lookin in them , hoping things are better, i now its hard but try to be positive , research on the net ,book another derm appointment, if some thing dosent work say bollocks to it and try something else, im sittin here now with a manuka honey and cinnamon mask on, and yes i feel like tool, i have been in your situation many many times, and it has really got me down, and no matter how much people have said nice things it is something i havnt been able to get out of my head, please dont get to down.

Go on this website, it makes me feel like im not alone.

I used to play video games but not so much anymore. I started making a bunch of cool friends and did things every weekend my senior year in high school but when I moved away after that I lost my friends and tried playing video games again. It doesn't do the trick anymore

Listening to music always works too.

a lot of things actually, but visiting this site whenever I can really helps when I'm down :comfort: listening to music as well! I admire Francoise Hardy: ) uuum avoiding mirrors+++ and working out. after a good run I always feel refreshed

try to avoid the picking! I never touch my back, chest, or face now and it made a HUGE difference

I think whenever I do come close to picking it my skin is crying and sad xD but yesyes acne is a downer but remember you're not alone: ) I'm the same exact way when it comes to the boys.

There's tons of little things.

Smile. It's such an easy task, one so little, but it means so much. Especially smiling at strangers. I love when strangers back.

Sit on my roof. I love this. At night, I'll sit on my roof, looking up at the stars, with my iPod. It's VERY terrifying for me because I have just... really paranoid behaviour, I worry too much, panic, my heart races, the hair on my arms stand up, I breathe too fast... but the first few seconds into it... it's an amazing feeling. I love looking up at the sky. Nothing else seems to matter anymore.

Dancing. I love to dance. Going out with friends, dancing, letting loose. I think everyone should have something they love doing, and dancing is mine.

And last but not least, sleeping. Again, such an easy thing... but dreams make anyone forget.

As far the boyfriend thing goes, personality plays a major part in whether or not a someone is attracted to you believe it or not (cause guys get a bad rap for being 100% superficial sometimes). In every "which girl is hotter" debate between guy friends, it always comes down to who is more laidback/fun to be around, at least in my experience. So like Lyssa said, just smile :)

Anyway some things that make me feel better are: long motorcycle rides, electronic music (mostly UK hardcore), running, and yea drinking helps sometimes but only if you are in a good mood in the first place.

I try to do something that I know is productive and that I will appreciate once my acne starts to clear up again. When I'm feeling like my acne is at its worst, I also start to feel like everything else is pointless. But if you think this way, when your acne does clear up, you'll feel like you wasted a lot of time. I don't mean going out with friends, because that's the last thing I want to do when I'm upset with my acne. I usually stay in my room on my computer, doing research, catching up on some work or starting some sort of project. Hope this helps :)

I am truly sorry to hear you are having a rough time. :(

As for what I do to make myself happier....

Well the ultimate battle was with myself. To not let acne define me, but to define myself. It's the hardest battle, but it's well worth it to reach a point where you are good with who you are.

I dance around randomly, hum, bake food, pray, listen to music, sit under a tree, read a book...I do an endless amount of things to make myself happy. Acne though, it is what it is.

I constantly try to gain perspective, for the world is a complex place, and I am but one individual.

try meditation. find a nice quiet, comfortable place, light some candles, and put on some relaxation music (download some Llewellyn). breath deeply and focus on your breath. let go of all your thoughts. just be one with the universe. it's an amazing feeling. nothing matters in the world of form, because you realize that you're one with everyone and everything on earth.

You only live life once. I just say f**k acne i dont let chances go by.

saying fuck you acne helps me a lot too. dancing has always been an escape for me. watching reruns of my favorite shows, blasting my music with no one else in the car to tell me it's too loud, being goofy for no reason with friends, family, having faith that one day i will be happy with my skin.

there's this rare spot i like to go to where you can see my entire city and then a little more of the county .. i don't know. i guess it puts it in perspective for me .. how big the world is and though it sucks having acne, you shouldn't constantly punish yourself for it.

I just hang out with my friends, I'm pretty sure they don't care about it, I once told one of them I hated acne and my friend said "dude, it's not that bad", kinda makes me happy thinking back, as it's a lot better now :). Yeah so basically I just go out and have as much fun as I can and don't care about what people think!

I tell myself over and over that it could be a lot worse. Also, I try not to look in the mirror too often, especially in unfavorable lighting.

Edited by bojanglesk8