Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
serena22

can you do a peel when you're using retin a??

is it safe to have a glycolic peel when you are using retin a??? i just switched....was using differin .3% for about a year and a half and has a glycolic peel done without a problem. Is retin a stronger than differin??

I don’t recommend it one bit. I don’t know what other people will tell you, and maybe their skin is way less sensitive than mine, but Retin A has made my skin so sensitive to just about anything, that I have a very simple skin care routine now. Retin A, cleanser, moisturizer. Retin A is so amazing anyway, you shouldn’t have to do any peels when you are on it.

It certainly depends on whether you have sensitive skin or not...

I use tretinoin (generic retin-a) and BHA/AHA exfoliants, and also get micro-dermabrasion without any problems... I don't get peels now because with this regimen I really don't need them. A few years ago, I used Ziana gel (tretinoin/ clindamycin) and I would get glycolic peels and facials once a month without any problems as well. My esthetician told me not use the Ziana the night or two before getting a peel, though.

Let me say, though, if you're using a high concentration of retin-a (stronger than .05%), then I'd agree with what the others are saying completely... the higher concentrations will make your skin sensitive even if you don't normally have very sensitive skin.

Edited by theComfyCat

I agree with BRAZZY i wouldnt recommend it either. I used to get microdermabrasions every now and then just to even out my skin tone and give it a healthy glow. My dermatologist even recommend the dermabrasion over the peel since my skin is EXTREMELY sensitive too.