Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alona

Fairest of Them All

As you can see, I have very fair skin... it is also very sensitive.

I have mild acne now that I've gotten it sort of under control. Does anyone have any advice for someone with skin like mine? I know I can't be the only one :lol:

No, because BP and my skin don't play well together. Even at low percentage and even when applied every other day it makes my skin burn and red, peely and itchy. It also sets off dermatitis on my face.

Do they have a regimen for people who can't use BP?

Edited by Alona

Ah. Um, I don't think there's, like, an official non-BP regimen that's been posted here. You could try Salicylic Acid or AHA, though.

I hope you find something that works.

Maybe Lerosett is an option. And/or Bee Yummy (though not specifically intended to treat acne, it apparently is useful for some people). You could also try Castor oil (put about 1/3 teaspoon on your face before bedtime - very greasy so don't expect to be able to massage everything into your skin).

As you can see, I have very fair skin... it is also very sensitive.

I have mild acne now that I've gotten it sort of under control. Does anyone have any advice for someone with skin like mine? I know I can't be the only one :lol:

Well, Im light skinned but wanted to welcome you as my new friend and I think your really pretty!

Hi, I am also fair skinned, but have never tried using BP as part of my regimen. At this point, I am on Ortho Lo to control my acne.

Right now I'm dealing with a case of perioral dermatitis brought on by combining an oral corticosteroid with my BCP. I am now on antibiotics and Ziana gel. Ziana seems to work well with controlling the on-the-surface outbreaks (wish I had it to combat hormonal outbreaks!), as the Mondox has yet to kick in. Overall, my chin is looking better than it did a week ago. But the doctor says it'll take a while yet for full results.

In response to your question, have you tried mandelic acid? There are a few logs on here where women have used mandelic acid to combat their mild acne. Try searching for "Trial and Error Regimen" on the search box of acne.org. This woman had mild acne and was able to control it with mandelic acid. She later went on Retin-A micro, which cleared her up completely.

You can also search for "Nucelle changed my life" in the acne.org search box. This "Nucelle changed my life" log was kept by another woman who once had severe acne all over her face, and is now completely clear.

I am not trying to market mandelic acid in anyway, but you can use it if you're pregnant or trying to conceive. Just an option. -Paranoid1

Edited by paranoid1

In response to your question, have you tried mandelic acid?

Funny you should mention that... I have wanted to try it. I asked my pharmasist to order me some, but he couldn't find it in his order system on the computer, or in his pharmacy book. That's why he got me the aqua glycolic instead (which is really helping).

Is there a place to buy mandelic acid?

I've been using Retin-A-micro for years, it has never cleared me up, and sadly I was using it 2 to 3 times per day (as directed by my derm)... come to find out that's a good way to get vitamin A toxicity. I've since stopped using it.

I am not sure if I can post links on this thread, as I am not trying to market a product in any way. If that's the case (and they get removed), I will you the links via PM

http://skincarerx.com/NuCelle-Mandelic-Serum-10%25.html

DermStore

The mandelic acid serums come in 10% and 15% concentrations. I suggest you start out small and work your way up (in time). You don't want things to lose their effectiveness. Also, search "Trial and Error regimen" and/or "Nucelle Changed My Life" in the acne.org search box to obtain instructions on how to include mandelic acid as apart of your daily regimen. Don't use it to much. Hope this helps.

Paranoid1

Funny you should mention that... I have wanted to try it. I asked my pharmasist to order me some, but he couldn't find it in his order system on the computer, or in his pharmacy book. That's why he got me the aqua glycolic instead (which is really helping).

I've been using Retin-A-micro for years, it has never cleared me up, and sadly I was using it 2 to 3 times per day (as directed by my derm)... come to find out that's a good way to get vitamin A toxicity. I've since stopped using it.

Edited by paranoid1

I'm English with very fair skin and like you, my skin didn't respond to BP well at all. In fact, my face swelled up and turned as red as a beetroot! I know other Brits whose sensitive skin protested too.

I'm using ibuprofen gel with tea-tree oil at the moment, which works well. I'm also experimenting with vitamin B3.

Because you say you developed Vitamin A toxicity, what is your regimen? Also, does this mean Accutane is out for you?

I don't know if I did develop Vit A toxicity... but I'm sure I would have, using it 3 times a day like that.

Accutane is out for me since my acne is mild, they won't prescibe it for me.

Right now I use SA wash, glycolic acid cream and saltwater toner (at night).

Hi, I also have fair skin. I started Dan's regimen almost 7 days ago and am experiencing the red and dryness you also talk about. I haven't noticed any swelling so for now I'll keep going because these symptoms are described as "usual" on the regimen pages. I do think my face is drying a bit more than it should, but this might be because I have started with too much BP. I switched from proactiv, so thought I would be able to handle a bit more BP than the average starter. Hope you find something that works for you :)

(p.s. my mirror noted that I'm the fairest of them all :lol: )

I have fair and sensitive skin and was able to try BP out. My skin was red and flaky the first 5 weeks or so but after that it was fine. My suggestion is to start out with a VERY small amount and only apply it at night. Gradually add a little more BP every 2 days or so. The problem with BP is that it stops working after a while. In my case, 5 or 6 months.