Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ctbo

anyone with acne in there 40s or 50s???

I was wondering if anyone here is in there 40s or 50s thats still gets acne like me?im in my early 40s and i still get acne.Im thinking of going on accutane im really getting tired of this i have had acne over 30 years.about 14 years my acne stoped for about a year.then after that it started again.so im wondering if anyone here is in there 40s or 50s that still gets acne like me?or am I the only one?

No, unfortunately, you are not alone:( I am 44 and suffer from hormonal acne, I would love to go on acutane but i have no insurance and can't afford it, but if i could i would do it in a heartbeat.

I'm 45 and a lifelong on and off acne suffer. If you are battling cystic acne – the kind that scars – and you're gone through the whole Benzaclin/Retin A/Tazorac/Spiro/Oracea route to no avail, I'd highly recommend Accutane if your doc agrees. It kicked mine in the bottom when I went on it at age 25. I was COMPLETELY clear for 15 years.

Then I went off the pill at 40 and the acne started creeping back. For a couple years, it was just a few annoying pimples on my chin. Then a couple years ago, the cysts came back and I started scarring. I petitioned my doc for another round of Accutane, but she suggested we try Benzaclin, Tazorac, and Oracea first. While it hasn't cured my acne, I don't get the scarring cysts anymore, so we're not doing the Accutane thing.

But you may certainly be a candidate. Talk with your doc.

Edited by DawgDaze64

Hi, I'm 44 and still have cystic acne. I've been almost completely clear for close to a year now using Minocycline, Tazorac and Clindamycin lotion, but I think it's time for me to go off the Mino and I'm freaked out!

I took a long course of Accutane when I was nineteen, and I think it just wore off in my late thirties.

My doctor tells me that menopause will likely cure my acne. We'll see. I think it's still several years away.

45 here. Yup, still struggling with stubborn, albeit milder acne. Tried the TAZ/mino route, currently trying the benzaclyn route. Was on accutane in my early 20's and seriously considering another go now. It just is time I stop letting this run my life!

Yep. I will be 50 this week and I still break out. What really makes me mad is that I work with kids who are old enough to be my kids, and they have the kind of skin I want. They eat awful, fries, soda by the gallons, ice cream, all the fried food and I eat fairly healthy and I still have this crap to deal with at my age! Sucks when i know that probably I will never be able to eat what I want when I get in my 70's or 80's. Thanks to the ##### relative I inherited this from! Aren't genetics just grand?! not. Elf

guess im not alone.but im a guy it seems that most of you are women am I right?I think im just about the only male on here my age that still gets acne for some reason.I know it really does suck getting at this age it really does.Right now I have a cyst the size of a house on my face and have to call my derm to get it injected if i can get in and its really hard to get an appointment.So I know what a cyst is like i get them all the time.funny though when I was younger I didnt get cysts just regular acne.now im in my 40s and the cysts come out i dint get it.oh well im going on accutane i just cant stand it anymore like we all cant.guess you need a blood test before they even put you on the stuff wow must be really strong.and a blood test every month untill the course is done.I wish you all luck I know how you all feel I really do.

forgot to say I have be on retin a takin mino now imusing aczone with some luck buy I still break out and get cysts so its not really working.my derm said he would start me only at 5 mg of accutane for the first month so it doesnt break me out.then 15 mg the 2nd month and then 45 mg the 3rd month.but wouldnt I break out the first month cause 5mg is to low a dose?and then the 3rd month break out from 45mg cause of the higher dose?I dont know i just wanna be sure what im getting into.but I hope it works.I wish you all luck and hope you get clear soon.

Hi, I'm presuming you must've tried all sorts over the years, and that you've been looking round the other boards too? Was wondering how you got on with niacin? I think konichiwa was 39yrs and it cleared him, that's all. Seems it's effective for loadsa people.

I guess you've gone down the diet and supplement route already tho. I've just started taking 50mg zinc picolinate and 1000mg vit c, so watch this space........... I'm gonna buy some chromium and lavender essential oil ( for dabbing on spots ) today, as I've heard they're also effective.

The way it's going, I'm looking like a total supplement junkie! :rolleyes:

I'm a guy as well ctbo, so you're not alone. I've tried anything and everything, but at 45 I'm just plain tired. Accutane, which I took back in my early 20's is the only thing that has worked for me. My derm told me that the older you are, the better your chances of a course of accutane curing you completely.

thats good to know I hope the accutane ends this crap.I didnt get an into my derm till next week so the big ugly cyst stays on my face for a few more days how nice.the niacin doesnt work for me on acne I still get it.ALL it does is make the pimples go away somewhat faster thats it.but I still break out so its not a cure.if it was I wouldnt be going on accutane.cf1200 I know what you mean were about the same age.Are you thinking of going on accutane as well?Im mean i really dont want to but i think im going to have to go on accutane or ill have acne into my 50s.

I'm 43, female. I've been battling acne for over 30 years. My routine is fairly simple and it has kept me the clearest I've been in 30 years. I use Dr. Joesoef's 10% sulfur soap or African black soap (I use them intermittently). I moisturize with unrefined shea butter. 2-3 times a week, I'll use a mask (usually Aztec healing mask). I spot treat (still get maybe one cystic acne per month at TOTM) with sulfur (Adult Acnomel or Pomade de azufre). So far, so good. Sulfur works best for me (I also have seborrheic dermatitis and that has mostly cleared up also).

If I had insurance, I'd probably get sodium sulfacetamide wash which I've used before. That works great.

I've also noticed that since I've switched to more natural things (and avoiding SLS or SLES) my skin hardly breaks out.

Also, if you want to try the Dr. Joesoef's 10% sulfur soap, google "Dr. Joesoef's skin care". If you email them, they will send you a free sample of the soap. Their free sample is the size of a regular bar (3.5 ounces) and it lasts a long while. I also use the soap on my back (bacne) and sometimes for shampoo for my seborrheic dermatitis. They also have other products which may interest you.

Hey ctbo, yes, I am considering it. My derm suggested it a while ago but I was hesitant since I had fairly mild acne. Since then I've developed a couple of cysts that leave a mark. I also have been struggling with constant anxiety over my skin and it's beginning to affect my work/family/life in general. I think I'm a good candidate for accutane, perhaps a low dose regime. I don't drink, eat a healthy, low fat diet and exercise moderately on a regular basis. I also didn't have much in the way of side effects last time I was on it (albeit more than 20 years ago). I also don't want to be on antibiotics for years at a time. I have tried just about everything else.

Hi everybody,

I just want you to know that acne

problem could be cause for psychoanalysis. Sorry it may sound unpleasant, but you would be surprised how the way you respond to everyday stress can impact your skin. If you are relaxed probably your skin would look better. Pay attention.

Good luck

Rocky

PS Having good regular fitness program is also big help, but only if your mind is relaxed!!!

Oh yeah,

I'll be 45 in December. First acne outbreak was when I was 10. Geeze, feels bad to type that....THAT'S how long I've had to deal with acne! Way back when I was a teen, I used Retin A and Cleocin T, did nothing. I later became a military officer and was turned down countless times by the Army docs: "you're not a good candidate for accutane." While I didn't have cystic acne, my face was a mess...a mixture of large and small white heads and old acne scars...I had so many brown acne old-spots that they almost looked like freckles - but were of course too scattered, random and large to be freckles.

Finally I found a civilian doctor who put me on accutante. My life CHANGED. I cleared up within weeks. Half way through, a stranger said, "you have beautiful skin." I nearly wept....I never thought I'd ever be told something like that.

Well, I relapsed a year later, so I took it again, and stayed clear longer. But my acne is PERSISTENT. Though it never comes back as bad as it was....it comes back. Took a third course of accutane in 2004. AND....I've JUST started what I hope is my last course. A little nervous as I'm older and having some lovely peri-menopausal symptoms....this time should be interesting. Though I'm not happy to see others over 40 having the same sorts of problems, I'm glad to find I'm not the ONLY over 40 year old dealing with this!

Me. I'm 44. But I've been mostly clear for over 3 years since I improved my diet and lifestyle. You can see in my signature what worked for me and click the links for info on the many ways diet and lifestyle habits and health issues (which are also affected by diet and lifestyle) can contribute to your acne.

Edited by alternativista

I'm 44 and have struggled with hormonal cystic acne since my early 20's. I did 2 courses of Accutane in my 30's, which provided relief during treatment, but the acne came back each time once I was off the medication.

I few months following my 2nd course of Accutane, I started researching other treatment options, such as hormonal, and tried Spironolactone. It cleared my skin as well as Accutane, and I tolerated it better.

I added a few things to my topical regimen such as acid peels, which have helped to smooth out old scarring, and help to keep me clear. I usually have totally clear skin for several months, and then a minor breakout, followed by clear skin, followed by a major breakout which lasts a few weeks. The cycle fortunately turns around to clear skin again.

Prescription Med: Spironolactone 100mg

My topical regimen includes:

AM

Cleanser: Hibiclens

Toner: Super CP Serum (copper peptides)

Moisturizer: Oil of Olay

PM

Cleanser: Hibiclens

Toner: Super CP Serum (copper peptides)

Lotion: BP 2.5%

Moisturizer: A light application of emu oil if my skin is dry, or Oil of Olay

Peel: Every 10 days I do a one-layer 12% TCA peel. TCA has done wonders for my skin tone and texture.

Spot treatment for cysts:

Using an ear swab, I apply a 12% solution of TCA peel onto the cyst. The TCA reduces the inflammation of the cyst. I use the TCA only once, when I feel the first signs of it. I don't apply TCA again until the cyst has completely healed.

Night time:

First I apply Super Cp Serum. I blend a 40% zinc oxide topical with a small amount of Retin-A and apply to the cyst before bedtime, leaving it on overnight. Of the 3 ingredients, the Super CP Serum seems to have the most immediate impact. I've seen smaller pimples dry up overnight, red marks fading, and cysts reduced considerably after a few days.

You are not alone! I have had acne in some form since I was 14, I am now 58. So, lets see that

is 44 years with acne and I also have oily skin. It has not been easy, to say the least. Back in the good old days when this first started for me there was not much you could do but live with it. Then I was about 17 I went on antibiotic therapy for about 6 months with Tetracycline and that helped a little but now they know it also stains your teeth, so no matter what I do I will never have the sparkling white teeth that many people have today. I used Accutane when I was 42 and that did wonders, however you can not stay on this forever and after about 7 months on it I discontinued it. Acne & oil came right back. I stopped trying after that for a few years. Then started on benzoyl peroxide which helped a bit if I slept with it on my face every night but that dried out the top layer of skin to the point that I flaked & peeled along with oily skin so after awhile I stopped that also. I just lived with it for awhile and when I went through menopause at age 50-51 the oiliness decreased somewhat, acne also decreased at least a little. For the past year I have been trying homeopathic medicine and that seems to have made the most difference. The oiliness is significantly decreased and the breakouts have moved down so that 90% of the time they are only on my chin and even those have been decreasing. So I have some hope that this will work in the long run. It is not an easy process and there is no one magic bullet that everyone can take as these remedies are prescribed on the overall symptoms of each patient, so what is working for me will not work for everyone. I guess my motto would be "Hang in there and try everything!" Hope you get good results with whatever therapy you are using!!

minnie10

I am 48 and have cystic acne as long as I can remember. I put up with it until I was 35 years old. I then took mino which was like a miracle for me. My dr didn't want me to take it forever so for a while I just used products on my face. This did nothing for me. Retin A, Differen. Benzamyacin. I tried the mino again and it no longer did anything for me. I recently went to a Derm. and she wanted me to try Spiro. I also have high blood pressure and was on a diaretic so I have to switch. I started yesterday and went up 2.5 pounds on the scale overnight. I don't think that the spiro works as a diaretic for me so this might be a deal breaker. Next would be Accutane, however they want you to use 2 forms of bc even if you have a tubal ligation. The acne is now leaving horrible scars and they are all in one spot on my chin area.

I'm 51 Post Menopause. No sign of it stopping. Mild compared to teen years/20's. Cystic acne then.

Use Renova daily. Solodyn when it flairs up.

Honestly have better things to worry about than pimples.

I'm 51 Post Menopause. No sign of it stopping. Mild compared to teen years/20's. Cystic acne then.

Use Renova daily. Solodyn when it flairs up.

Honestly have better things to worry about than pimples.

Hi CTBO,

Here's my story...I'm male, just turned 47 and have had moderate acne all of my adult life. I've tended to always have a pimple or two or four and of course plently that are still healing up. Stubborn pimples but not cystic. Tend to get them in the T zone especially on my brows.

I've tried vitamins, cleansers, otc preparations, antibiotics, zit zappers etc. and over the years I've visited a number of dermatologists. I've never wanted to try accutane because of the possible side effects. Anitbiotics are the only thing that has seemed to work for me and just temporarily.

BUT, this year I went to a new derm who told me that at my age acne is usually done in most people and that if I had a course of Minocycline it would probable knock it out. So I did, I think, a month long course about 6 months ago and have used Aczone on any breakouts.

The amazing thing is, it's working. I still get the occasional pimple, but they are very small and go away very quickly with the Aczone. But I don't get the stubborn deep infected sort of pimples anymore, my blackheads have just disappeared.

So, I don't know what did it, if it was my age, the Minocycline, or the Aczone. I should also tell you I've been drinking a swig of GoodBelly Probiotic fruit drink almost every day (I started that when I went on the Minocycline). But somehow my skin is better than it's been in 30 years.

Hope my story can be of some help!

Serge

Hello!

I just registered and YES! I am 42 and have acne. Funny thing, I didn't really have it when I should have- as a teenager. As I got older, I started to break out!

I used to get cystic acne in my late 20's and still get it occasionally now but not as often. Now I have whiteheads or wanna-be whiteheads that just don't actually get to the whitehead stage and milia under my eyes and I have extremely oil skin (have always had that) to the point that I can even see beads of oil in the cheek area by my nostrils where my pores are enlarged.

Bummer.

ETA: Oh yeah. In the tiny frown creases in between my eyebrows, I constantly get pimples that, even if they appear to have gone away, I can still feel a little "core" and it stays tender.

What on Earth is that?????

Edited by Soledad

Yeh I'm 42 and have been dealing with this since I was eleven. Accutane worked for me for about 4 years when I was in my 30's. After 2 rounds of that I gave up, figured there was nothing I could do. I started getting acne all over my jawline/chin area. Idiots would call me Mufasa (Lion King). Then I discovered this web site. It has been the best place mentally and physically for me. Mentally because I now know I am not alone at this age with this disfigurement, and physically because I tried someones recomendation and it cleared my face of most acne! Using niacin has been a godsend for me. I have no insurance and no money and this is the best thing to happen to me. Niacin is cheap and I buy it off a store shelf. I still get tiny bumps and tiny whities, but their gone in a day. So here's a great big THANKYOU to everyone on here. You changed my life.