Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DawgDaze64

Good Foundation With Sunscreen?

Hi all,

Haven't posted here in ages, but I'm still fighting the good fight. That is, a reemergence of my acne a few years back after 15 years beautifully clear, thanks to a round of Accutane at age 25. But once I went off the pill at 40, hormonal cystic chin acne reared its ugly head, along with some scarring (!!), so back to the doc for me. Only now, throw aging skin into the mix and things are REALLY interesting!

At any rate, my regimen includes Benzaclin in the a.m., a low dose Oracea pill 1X daily, and Tazorac at night. Problem is, the use of Benzaclin in the a.m. makes it difficult to then pair on top of that a sunscreen (SPF 20 at minimum is a MUST) and then foundation. One or the other of the ingredients starts rubbing off in white flakes once I get to the foundation, regardless of how gently I pat it on.

So I'm thinking the solution may be to find a foundation that contains sunscreen. But I have no idea where to start. What are some of your favorites? I'm looking for medium coverage that isn't too matt. And of course, nothing that will break me out or make me an oily mess!

Thanks!

Edited by DawgDaze64

I like Revlon ColorStay. They have a formula for dry skin and one for oily/combination skin and it has SPF 6, which isn't very high....but there are moisturizers with spf as well. I have to be honest, Colorstay is pretty matte on it's own but I apply it with a damp makeup sponge and it goes on more dewy that way.

I used to get those flakes, well it was more like....balled-up gunk, when I used BP but I think if you let your medication and lotion absorb for a while that might help? On the other hand, you might want to also try putting everything on in close proximity. Best advice I have is to keep on experimenting :(

One last tip, if you find a foundation you like but still get the flaking, try mixing it with your SPF/moisturizer and then applying it. It won't give as much coverage but you can always dab some of the foundation on afterward where you need it.

Revlon ColorStay Active with spf 25. It's 'creamier' than the regular colorstay but still really light. I always come back to it after trying everything else.

Hi all,

Haven't posted here in ages, but I'm still fighting the good fight. That is, a reemergence of my acne a few years back after 15 years beautifully clear, thanks to a round of Accutane at age 25. But once I went off the pill at 40, hormonal cystic chin acne reared its ugly head, along with some scarring (!!), so back to the doc for me. Only now, throw aging skin into the mix and things are REALLY interesting!

At any rate, my regimen includes Benzaclin in the a.m., a low dose Oracea pill 1X daily, and Tazorac at night. Problem is, the use of Benzaclin in the a.m. makes it difficult to then pair on top of that a sunscreen (SPF 20 at minimum is a MUST) and then foundation. One or the other of the ingredients starts rubbing off in white flakes once I get to the foundation, regardless of how gently I pat it on.

So I'm thinking the solution may be to find a foundation that contains sunscreen. But I have no idea where to start. What are some of your favorites? I'm looking for medium coverage that isn't too matt. And of course, nothing that will break me out or make me an oily mess!

Thanks!

I use Benzaclin in the AM too and I use Olay moisturizer SPF 15 afterwards. My foundation is awesome AND it has SPF 15 too. I use Clinique Even Better foundation. It gives medium coverage and a great finish. I love how it makes my skin look. You have to set it with powder though or else it'll look shiny. If you go to the Clinique counter, they'll give you a free sample. It's the best foundation I've ever tried and I've tried A LOT!!

I've never had that problem of white residue rubbing off either!

i find it hard to find a decent foundation with spf cover in it, the only one i could find is an anti age one, its quite heavy though so dont use it much.

You can put a suncreen under your foundation and then foundation on top. Then you can chose 2 products you know wont break out your skin.