Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AdamApple

AdamApple's Accutane Story

ADAMAPPLE's ACCUTANE JOURNEY

Hi everyone! my name is adam, and obviously my nickname is adamapple. just kind of stuck with me through out high school. So let's cut to the chase, I have been a sufferer of moderate acne since the age of 13. I'm almost 18 now. I have tried everything, you name it, ALL convenient store brands such as clearisil, neutrogena, clean n clear, acnefree, bior, etcetc. I have also been one of the unfortunate people who have tried proactive (worst acne treatment there is. dont buy it) i get more into that on another day. a couple eyars ago i starting giving up on all these over the counter crap, and i decided to go to my doctor in august of 2008. I told him firmly i didn't want any creams, i was over them and i wanted to go on this miracle drug "Accutane" he simply replied "well, adam, we must try other things first because of the feds and blah blah blah" so he gave me benzamycin and minocyclin. it immediately started working and i was instantly clear for 6 months. so then, that puts me at the beginning of summer of 2009...all the sudden, i start breaking out like crazy. idk why?! i was pissed, i knew i should have gone on accutane, all this shit wouldn't be happening right now. so I make an appointment in august and go to my derm. she says i ahev to go on another cream treatment for a month and see how i do. she gives me tazorac and something else...i dont even know, but it sucked! so here we are in september and finally she has prescribed me to CLAVARIS, which is the exact same thing as accutane just another brand of it. so i promised myself years ago that if i ever got on the drug, i would make a log/journal of my process to hopefully help some other peoples decisions on whether or not they should take the drug. alright, well let's go ahead and get started:]

MY PRESCRIPTION: Claravis (isotretrinion) 60MG a day

i also wash my face with a cetaphil bar in the shower.

DAY 1 9/24/09

-first day on the drug and just as i expected, i notice no side effects so far. thank god. thats a good sign. that means my body isn't rejecting it or anything. Although, i must say i had a really bad knee pain when i was going to bed, it took me awhile to fall asleep. but i can handle that. my face is mildy broken out but we'll see in the morning :rolleyes:

DAY 3 9/27/09

-the past few days have actually been pretty good to my surprise..no major breakouts, just minor on my chin. i do have to say I'm already feeling the dry side effects. I use Eucerin which is basically the king of moisturizers so I'm surviving. i put it on once in the morning and night and its good all day, for now...haha no more joint pains since the first day which is good. I do strongly recommend you don't take the pill right before bed though, because i couldnt go to sleep. and one of the side effects on the label states "trouble sleeping or waking up" so thats about it. i do have pictures that i will be posting soon to show my acne before i started Claravis (Accutane) and hopefully my goal is to do a series of pictures over the weeks to give photographical stand points:) alright, catch ya guys later

Edited by AdamApple

Adam,

I just started accutane (amnesteem generic version) 3 days ago, so we are basically doing this at the same time. I don't have severe cystic acne, but I have a forehead that is peppered with whiteheads and moderate acne that is resistant to everything else. Basically it looks like a really bad bumpy red rash on my forehead. I have extermely oily skin, which my derm believes is the culprit. Just like you, I have been around the block with every OTC and Rx acne product there is with no success.

I am going to get some pics going on a weekly basis to keep track and I'd really like to hear how its going for you as well.

I am taking 40 mg on even days and 80 mg on odd days for the first month, then presumably 80mg thereafter for the remainder of the treatment. I'm using the acne.org cleanser and blistex for the lips. No side effects yet.

Goodluck man - hopefully we will both be clear 5-6 months from now.

Adam,

I just started accutane (amnesteem generic version) 3 days ago, so we are basically doing this at the same time. I don't have severe cystic acne, but I have a forehead that is peppered with whiteheads and moderate acne that is resistant to everything else. Basically it looks like a really bad bumpy red rash on my forehead. I have extermely oily skin, which my derm believes is the culprit. Just like you, I have been around the block with every OTC and Rx acne product there is with no success.

I am going to get some pics going on a weekly basis to keep track and I'd really like to hear how its going for you as well.

I am taking 40 mg on even days and 80 mg on odd days for the first month, then presumably 80mg thereafter for the remainder of the treatment. I'm using the acne.org cleanser and blistex for the lips. No side effects yet.

Goodluck man - hopefully we will both be clear 5-6 months from now.

hey burnettks5!

great to hear someone is along for the ride! haha. acne has got to be the nastiest thing, and I'm glad that its finally going to be gone for good! and I'm sure your right there with me on that one. thats cool that your on amnesteem, i ALMOST went on that one but got a last minute change for whatever reason...i don't think it really matters. same shit haha but it will be interesting to see the differences in side effects in dosage since your taking more. I don't have oily skin at all, mine ism ore normal but i do have constant cystic acne on my cheeks. no bueno. haha so we'll see where it goes. hope you start a journal to so i can keep up with you as well!

late

-adam

Hey Adam!

You started just a few days after I did, and I'm on Claravis as well!

Sounds like you IB has been really mild so far, so that's good:)

I'll keep checking back, keep posting - good luck!

-Sara

Hey man, I read your story so far and I discovered that our regimens are very similar. I'm taking 60mg under Sotret but now I might have to change brands because my pharmacy is out of Accutane under the Sotret brand. I also cleanse my face with the Cetaphil bar.

I've been doing this regimen for 2 months and so far, my skin is slightly improving, but not extremely. Good luck with your course man.

DAY 7 10/1/09

-Hey everyone! I'm officially at the week mark:) things are going pretty okay. I'm starting to think that my IB is coming because i got a cyst on my cheek. notttt fun. and a few others on the chin and forehead. but I can handle it, It's not that bad. *knock on wood* haha. I'm also no experiencing any side effects, which is good. I would also like to thank sara & King_of_pain for posting and giving feedback on your journeys:]

sara- thats so funny we almost started at the same time. I also read that your first round a few years back failed, I'm really sorry to hear that. hopefully, the second time will do the job and get rid of it for good:]

King of pain- thats so ridiculous that the pharmacy is always so inconsistent with these accutane brands, i mean, its gets rid of acne. i think its a pretty important drug to have stocked at a pharmacy! haha a part i left out of my story was that i was actually prescribed SOTRET as well and for 5 damn days the pharmacy kept messing up and couldnt get the drug so finally my derm okay-ed claravis, which to this day I don't understand why it would have made a difference, its all the same crap haha

alright everyone, until next time! :D

*PIC's soon! i promiiiise<3

I also wash my face with Cetaphil facial cleanser in the shower.

DAY11 10/5/09

-Helllllooooooo:) don't let the happy face fool you, I'm started to get really aggravated. two words :CHAPPED LIPS. haha and not only are they chapped, they're so sensitive and weird feeling. I honestly can't explain it unless you get on Accutane and feel it to! on a few other notes, my whole bodies been inching more now. i don't know if thats a side effect, i haven't really looked but its definitely been getting dryer and I put on men's lotion everyday so i dont know what all that's about lol. oh well, nothing i can't handle i suppose. as for the break outs... its been alright. very inconsistent. one day ill have a lot of whiteheads & blackheads, then the next ill have just a random cyst here and there. at least its not "pizza face" tho, so we'll see in these next few weeks.

********now, I want to start hearing from a few of you! :) If your reading this post right now, don't be shy, tell me about your experience! I'm really interested in hearing about other peoples experiences on the tane as well:D do we relate in symptoms? if your on sotret or amnesteem, how are things different for you at this stage? let's hear it! :)))))))))