Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm a 23 year old female who has been battling acne since 14. I have used topicals, antibiotics (minocin, vibramyicin) as well as two courses of accutane. All the antibiotics cleared me up perfectly while I was on them, but as soon as I go off the antibiotics, the spots come back.

Before the age of 20, the doctor and dermatologist were saying I'd grow out of it. After the age of 20, the doctor said i might have PCOS. I personally believe that neither of them have a clue. I last took accutane when I was 21. When the acne returned after that I just gave up searching for a cure for 3 years. Now I'm starting a new job and I have renewed vigor to try and find the solution. But I'm so so angry with how my life has turned out. Well its not that there's anything wrong with my life; in fact, every area of my life is going great, except for my appearance. Sometimes I break down and cry, thinking that I'll have acne all my life, or at least until menopause. Then I get so angry and I snap at everyone.

I really hate to talk about my acne, so I keep it bottled up, but the depression becomes evident occasionally. My mother sees how depressed I am so she is determined to find a solution too. She practically dragged me to the doctor last week, who promptly put me on another course of minocin. This was partly against my will, since I know the minocin will only work while I'm on it, then I'll be back to square one. Sometimes I feel convinced that there is a simple cure must exist, which doesn't involve conventional medicine. So I've been experimenting with my diet. I tried eating a low gi diet for a week, which helped a bit. But I just couldn't keep going. Then I tried going for a few days eating nothing but probiotic yogurt. The amazing thing is that my skin really started clearing up. But I think that's only because I was practically starving myself. I can't starve myself for the rest of my life. Even if my acne is diet related, the prospect of eating a miserable diet for the rest of my life makes me even angrier, especially when everyone else with clear skin can eat whatever the hell they want.

The thing is, my acne isn't really that bad, but because it has been persistent over the last 9 years, the accumulated red marks make my face look absolutely horrific. So I have to wear makeup every day to cover it up. I would love to NOT wear makeup, just to see if my skin would clear, but my face looks so so bad without it!

Yesterday I tried something new: I put apple cider vinegar on my face and left it on overnight. That accentuated all the pimples and made my face really red and sore. Now my face looks awful. So I'm sitting here in misery, avoiding people, avoiding going out, getting angrier by the minute. I have put my life on hold for the last 9 years. I haven't had to chance to have any meaningful relationships because I've been avoiding people.

I don't even know why I'm posting here. I guess I'm just hoping someone can offer up a new perspective on things. Maybe someone can suggest the cure that might finally put me out of misery. arggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

Well you've come to the right place then!!

At 23 you can still "grow out" your acne, although the accutane experiences tend to suggest your acne is a bit more stubborn than that.

If you take a look at the various sections of the board, you will see thousands of treatments, from topicals to vitamins to dietary treatments. Each one will bring success stories with them. Every one of us are different, so it only stands to reason that we should all be affected in different ways by treatments. The trick is to find something that works for you, and stick with it.

We are all cursed with this, don't feel like you're alone. I've just turned 26 and still suffer, and there are others on this board aged all the way to 50 and above who are suffering with me. It's not nice, not fair and it's not pleasant, but these are the cards we've been dealt and we have to deal with it in the best ways we can find.

There are a lot of helpful people on this board who know exactly what you are going through and are perfectly willing to help you through this, so don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck with whatever you try.

I'm a 23 year old female who has been battling acne since 14. I have used topicals, antibiotics (minocin, vibramyicin) as well as two courses of accutane. All the antibiotics cleared me up perfectly while I was on them, but as soon as I go off the antibiotics, the spots come back.

Before the age of 20, the doctor and dermatologist were saying I'd grow out of it. After the age of 20, the doctor said i might have PCOS. I personally believe that neither of them have a clue. I last took accutane when I was 21. When the acne returned after that I just gave up searching for a cure for 3 years. Now I'm starting a new job and I have renewed vigor to try and find the solution. But I'm so so angry with how my life has turned out. Well its not that there's anything wrong with my life; in fact, every area of my life is going great, except for my appearance. Sometimes I break down and cry, thinking that I'll have acne all my life, or at least until menopause. Then I get so angry and I snap at everyone.

I really hate to talk about my acne, so I keep it bottled up, but the depression becomes evident occasionally. My mother sees how depressed I am so she is determined to find a solution too. She practically dragged me to the doctor last week, who promptly put me on another course of minocin. This was partly against my will, since I know the minocin will only work while I'm on it, then I'll be back to square one. Sometimes I feel convinced that there is a simple cure must exist, which doesn't involve conventional medicine. So I've been experimenting with my diet. I tried eating a low gi diet for a week, which helped a bit. But I just couldn't keep going. Then I tried going for a few days eating nothing but probiotic yogurt. The amazing thing is that my skin really started clearing up. But I think that's only because I was practically starving myself. I can't starve myself for the rest of my life. Even if my acne is diet related, the prospect of eating a miserable diet for the rest of my life makes me even angrier, especially when everyone else with clear skin can eat whatever the hell they want.

The thing is, my acne isn't really that bad, but because it has been persistent over the last 9 years, the accumulated red marks make my face look absolutely horrific. So I have to wear makeup every day to cover it up. I would love to NOT wear makeup, just to see if my skin would clear, but my face looks so so bad without it!

Yesterday I tried something new: I put apple cider vinegar on my face and left it on overnight. That accentuated all the pimples and made my face really red and sore. Now my face looks awful. So I'm sitting here in misery, avoiding people, avoiding going out, getting angrier by the minute. I have put my life on hold for the last 9 years. I haven't had to chance to have any meaningful relationships because I've been avoiding people.

I don't even know why I'm posting here. I guess I'm just hoping someone can offer up a new perspective on things. Maybe someone can suggest the cure that might finally put me out of misery. arggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

I see that you mentioned two courses of accutane. Im currently on my first and my mind is exactly where yours is, what do I do after that? I have no clue, but I've been constantly researching on the web to hopefully find a solution. What type of acne do you have? Is is light to moderate? or is it severe and cystic. You mentioned red marks, Im assuming your acne is getting inflamed like mine does.

I also noticed that you mentioned diet and how it had helped you. I've been looking into supplements that people take that are good for skin. One forum I read discussed why some people who have oily skin dont get acne at all and why clogged pores become inflamed/infected ones. Apparently pores can become clogged quite easily and it pretty hard to avoid that. But it seems what really bothers you is the "redness", the inflamed acne. The forum I read stated that when the liver is unable to properly filter toxins from our system, they have to find other ways to escape. They enter our blood and try to escape through another organ: our faces. And when that toxin mixes with the clogged pore, voila, you have an inflamed pimples. I'd recommend some:

Fish oil

vitamin B (not sure if you can take vit A because of accutane)

Vitamin C (if on minocycline, you should take this at least 2-3 hrs after you pop your mino pill)

Black Walnut (comes in droplets, and you make a little tea with it, thats actually not tha tbad tasting at all, im drinkign some right now. Be advised though, you're not supposed to take this stuff in other than 10 day courses, so basically take it when you think you might need it. IE when you feel a breakout coming, binge drank that weekend, or have been eating a lot of crap)

I hope this helps. We're all in the same game. I think that's why forums like this are so helpful. People actually give a shit when its mutually beneficially to them.

I see that you mentioned two courses of accutane. Im currently on my first and my mind is exactly where yours is, what do I do after that? I have no clue, but I've been constantly researching on the web to hopefully find a solution. What type of acne do you have? Is is light to moderate? or is it severe and cystic. You mentioned red marks, Im assuming your acne is getting inflamed like mine does.

I also noticed that you mentioned diet and how it had helped you. I've been looking into supplements that people take that are good for skin. One forum I read discussed why some people who have oily skin dont get acne at all and why clogged pores become inflamed/infected ones. Apparently pores can become clogged quite easily and it pretty hard to avoid that. But it seems what really bothers you is the "redness", the inflamed acne. The forum I read stated that when the liver is unable to properly filter toxins from our system, they have to find other ways to escape. They enter our blood and try to escape through another organ: our faces. And when that toxin mixes with the clogged pore, voila, you have an inflamed pimples. I'd recommend some:

Fish oil

vitamin B (not sure if you can take vit A because of accutane)

Vitamin C (if on minocycline, you should take this at least 2-3 hrs after you pop your mino pill)

Black Walnut (comes in droplets, and you make a little tea with it, thats actually not tha tbad tasting at all, im drinkign some right now. Be advised though, you're not supposed to take this stuff in other than 10 day courses, so basically take it when you think you might need it. IE when you feel a breakout coming, binge drank that weekend, or have been eating a lot of crap)

I hope this helps. We're all in the same game. I think that's why forums like this are so helpful. People actually give a shit when its mutually beneficially to them.

THe strange thing is, I don't think my acne is that severe. I don't think its cystic. I just get a new pimple every day. But when each pimple dies down it leaves a red mark, so all the accumulated red marks over the years make my face look terrible. The fact that my acne isn't severe gives me hope that some day I'll find the cure, and that the cure will be something very simple.

At the moment I'm on minocin, and I'm hoping that this will clear my skin to the stage where I don't have to wear any makeup. THen I'll just wash my face with water only and see how it goes. I have the feeling that if I were left alone to live in a wild jungle, with no cosmetics or mirrors, that my acne would disappear! You know what I mean?! But of course that's impossible in this day and age...

You mentioned probiotic yogurt helped your skin. Maybe you could look into probiotic supplements like Primal Defense or Dr. Ohirra's. I took way too many antibiotics over the years and have found that probiotics in my diet daily are helpful.